Topic: SimpleViewer and Magento Go, Embedding Issues

I have just switched over to using Magento Go as my web hosting site and I am trying to implement a simpleviewer gallery on to a page of my site. I tried to get support from Magento but they said they do not assist with custom code so I figured I would post here. I am pretty unfamiliar code so any explanation would be helpful.

I was following instructions on how to embed my code from this website: http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewe … dding.html

I am not quite sure what instruction #2 means, if someone could expand that further I would appreciate. Basically what I have done so far is open svBuilder create my gallery and upload my images, and then go to the publish page where the embed code is given. I am not really sure what to do from here. I tried copying this code and inserting the HTML into the page on my website that I want the gallery through magento go but the page is blank when I preview it. I think this has something to do with me not understanding step #2 of the instructions and not uploading the file somewhere. If anyone is could help explain this process and if you are familiar with Magento Go that would be a plus. I know people who use magento go have implemented simpleviewer galleries such as the lookbook on this website : http://www.artdisco.co.uk/lookbook/mens-aw-11.html  so I know it is possible.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Re: SimpleViewer and Magento Go, Embedding Issues

After searching the forums I found another thread who said they implemented the code by: "I have successfully integrated a gallery into magento by adding the necessary files to my root directory including the gallery.xml file, and then posting the embed code on my cms page... "

Can anyone add guidance and specify what this means?

I am not quite sure what instruction #2 means

Step #2 from here means that all the files within your gallery folder should be located in the same directory as the HTML page into which you are trying to embed the gallery.

Basically what I have done so far is open svBuilder create my gallery and upload my images

You need to upload the entire contents of your gallery folder (including the 'gallery.xml' file and 'svcore' folder), not just the images.

The 'artdisco' link you provided embeds a SimpleViewer gallery using an <iframe>.
If you would like to replicate this method of embedding, then do not worry about the method which includes the Step #2 that you were enquiring about and try the following:
(1) Create your gallery with svBuilder
(2) Upload the complete gallery folder (not just the contents) to your web server. It does not matter where you upload the gallery folder to as long as you know where it is.
(3) In your HTML page in Magneto Go, use an <iframe> to point to the 'index.html' page within the gallery folder on your web server, eg:

<iframe src="http://www.example.com/my_gallery_folder/index.html" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Steven Speirs wrote:

The 'artdisco' link you provided embeds a SimpleViewer gallery using an <iframe>.
If you would like to replicate this method of embedding, then do not worry about the method which includes the Step #2 that you were enquiring about and try the following:
(1) Create your gallery with svBuilder
(2) Upload the complete gallery folder (not just the contents) to your web server. It does not matter where you upload the gallery folder to as long as you know where it is.
(3) In your HTML page in Magneto Go, use an <iframe> to point to the 'index.html' page within the gallery folder on your web server, eg:

<iframe src="http://www.example.com/my_gallery_folder/index.html" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

I am still a little confused but would like to replicate the method of embedding you spoke about. Once I upload the gallery folder to my web server I need to use iframe and point it to the page within my gallery folder. However, is the iframe code the only code I need to use? Do I no longer need to use the "embed code" that was given to me at the publish page of SV builder?

However, is the iframe code the only code I need to use?

Yes.

Do I no longer need to use the "embed code" that was given to me at the publish page of SV builder?

That is correct.
They are alternative methods of embedding which are both documented here: http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/su … l#external
If using the <iframe> method, then the single line of <iframe> code is all that is required.

Steven Speirs

Steven Speirs wrote:

However, is the iframe code the only code I need to use?

Yes.

Do I no longer need to use the "embed code" that was given to me at the publish page of SV builder?

That is correct.
They are alternative methods of embedding which are both documented here: http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/su … l#external
If using the <iframe> method, then the single line of <iframe> code is all that is required.

Steven, I am having trouble figuring out how to upload all the files to web server in magento and magento does not seem to want to give me help for a third party product. Are you familiar with magentogo at all? If so do you know how to upload the files?

Are you familiar with magentogo at all?

No.
This FAQ from the Magneto Go - FAQ page seems to suggest that you would not be able to host a SimpleViewer gallery with them.

Q: Can I use FTP to Upload My Own Custom Designs and Images?
    Magento Go does not provide FTP access to your store. You can upload groups of images into your store through your web-based administrative control panel. This limitation is in place so that merchants do not modify their stores in such a way that they are no longer upgradeable. Magento Go provides full access to customize your store's design through images, CSS and JavaScript.

It sound like you would only be able to upload images through their interface (not other files) and you would not be able to upload other files (or even images) using an FTP Program such as Filezilla.
However, I am not familiar with Magneto Go so I could be wrong about this.

It sounds like the only option would be for you to host your gallery elsewhere and use an <iframe> within Magneto Go to point to your gallery's 'index.html' file.
If you have other web space with a regular web host, you could upload your SimpleViewer gallery there (via FTP using Filezilla).
If you do not have other web space, then a suitable host for a SimpleViewer gallery would be Dropbox.

To upload the gallery files to Dropbox:
(1) Download and install the Dropbox client program
(2) Run the install program and sign up for a free Dropbox account
(3) Create your SimpleViewer-Pro gallery with the method of your choice
(4) Drag and drop the entire gallery folder into the 'Public' folder within the newly created Dropbox folder on your computer
(5) Navigate towards your gallery's 'index.html' file (within 'username/Dropbox/Public/gallery_folder/'), right-click it and select 'Dropbox -> Copy public link'

To embed the gallery in Magneto Go:
(1) Use an <iframe> such as the following. Use the URL you copied in Step #5 above as the 'src' attribute of the <iframe>.

<iframe src="dropbox_link_goes_here" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

In order to use an <iframe> within Magneto Go, these pages may help:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/answers/ … editor-/p1
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/v … ad/224761/
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/v … 4/#t255014

Steven Speirs

Thanks for your help steven. I am going to try that method now. The files are being uploaded to dropbox as we speak. Just to clarify, the "dropbox_link_goes_here" should be the public link that I copied? Thanks for all the support. Once the files are uploaded to dropbox I am going to give it a try and hopefully it will work!

Just to clarify, the "dropbox_link_goes_here" should be the public link that I copied?

Yes. That is correct.

Steven Speirs

Great so it worked, thanks for all the instruction. A few more questions:

1. If i want to change the width and height of the gallery I can just change the numbers in the code?

2. Say I want to add more pictures in the future. Would I have to create a new gallery and go through all of the steps discussed above with the new pictures in the gallery or is there an easier/quicker way to simply add a few pictures to a current gallery without changing the code?

Thanks again for all the help.

zanderaruba wrote:

Great so it worked, thanks for all the instruction. A few more questions:

1. If i want to change the width and height of the gallery I can just change the numbers in the code?

2. Say I want to add more pictures in the future. Would I have to create a new gallery and go through all of the steps discussed above with the new pictures in the gallery or is there an easier/quicker way to simply add a few pictures to a current gallery without changing the code?

Thanks again for all the help.

Nevermind I figured out both of those answers. Thanks again!