Topic: Shouldn't the thumbnails scale too

Shouldn't the thumbnails scale too?  As it stands, if the window is too small, some thumbnails go above the window area,
even tho they are VBottom.

http://blog.stevezavodny.com/2012/03/28/cranes/

and click on cranes photo

Thanks

Re: Shouldn't the thumbnails scale too

The thumbnails do not actually scale dynamically (change size) like the main image does.
The thumbnail area is currently aligned with the bottom of the main image.
You have only one page of thumbnails but your gallery's XML file sets thumbNavStyle="CLASSIC", thereby leaving room for thumbnail navigation arrows (below the thumbnails themselves, as specified by thumbNavPosition="BOTTOM"). You could drop your thumbnails down a little by removing the reserved space for the thumbnail navigation arrows by setting thumbNavStyle="NONE".
The thumbnail area is currently aligned with the bottom of the main image rather than the bottom of the stage due to the use of the following combination of options:

captionPosition="BOTTOM"
captionHeight="120"
floatCaption="FALSE"

Try using floatCaption="TRUE" instead and the height of the caption area (which currently spans the 'BOTTOM' of the gallery) will not be counted in the stage layout and the thumbnail area should then be aligned with the bottom of the stage.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Very good thank you.  Very much appreciate this program.

Now, to get rid of excess head room, stage Vpad is -70, and thus
to get the captions pos BOTTOM in the right place, caption pad = 80,
however, now the captions are too narrow.   Kindly advise.

In order to achieve a specific gallery layout, it might help to take a look at the SimpleViewer-Pro Layout Guide.

Now, to get rid of excess head room

The Layout Troubleshooting section at the end of the layout guide deals with getting rid of extra space in the gallery.

Another idea would be to use the live preview window in svBuilder-Pro. As you change the options in svBuilder-Pro's interface, the live preview window shows you exactly how your gallery will look in a browser.

however, now the captions are too narrow

You could revert to using floatCaption="FALSE" and specify a captionHeight of less than you had before (120).
You might also like to consider repositioning the captions, perhaps using captionPosition="OVERLAY_BOTTOM" which would display the captions at the bottom of the main image when the user hovers over the image.

If you are having trouble positioning elements within your gallery, then you might also like to consider using a Fixed Layout which would allow you to give absolute fixed positions to stage elements.

Steven Speirs

Cant see how to float caption under the picture with a fixed lay out.
I dont like hover captions, thanks.

the problem with caption padding is it pads left & right? 
What else moves the caption without a fixed xy cuz I just
want captions & image numbers to be centered under the width
of the picture regardless of picture size.  So far any picture placement
is being a problem this way.  Thanks

Last edited by steve z (2012-04-02 05:21:12)

It is not possible to float the caption in a fixed layout (as the positions of all elements are fixed).

If you want the caption displayed below the main image, then you must use:

captionPosition="BOTTOM"

When you float the caption, the caption area's height is not considered in stage layouts so you run the risk of the caption spilling off the edge of the visible area and not beeing seen ion small browser windows. If you want to prevent this from happening, you must use:

floatCaption="FALSE"
captionHeight="120"

... setting the caption height of your choice.
This just leaves the thumbnails to deal with. If you set thumbVAlign="BOTTOM", the thumbnails will be aligned to the bottom of the main image, not aligned to the bottom of the stage (and may spill off the top edge of the browser window if the thumbnail area is too large, for example if you have specified a very large number of thumbnail rows).
Instead, use:

thumbVALign="TOP"

This will ensure that the top row of thumbnails is always visible and if you have a lot of rows, the thumbnail area will spill over into the area below the main image, ie the caption's height area.

Steven Speirs

I wrote a long letter clarifying what I am trying to do, how i do it,  and what do I need to know, and I dont see it at all?

OK. I'll take a step back and rethink my answer to your original post.

Shouldn't the thumbnails scale too?  As it stands, if the window is too small, some thumbnails go above the window area,
even tho they are VBottom.

Thumbnails do not scale so try reducing the number of thumbnail rows in your gallery.

Steven Speirs

i just wrote another long letter and it is not posted !

Unfortunately, I do not know why your posts are not showing up. There have been no other reports of the forum software failing to insert posts.
Copy the text of your post before clicking 'Submit' so that you can paste it into another post if the original one does not show up.
Do not worry if you create a duplicate post. I can delete any duplicate posts for you.

Steven Speirs

Now i see why the posts are lost.  It takes so
long to write this, I get logged out.

Ok, lets see if I can piece this together.

for the top show, cranes:
http://blog.stevezavodny.com/cranes/

Here are the major settings that have me real close to what I want.

General>Stage Valign>TOP
General>Stage Vpadding>-60

removes headroom

Main Image>image Valign>CENTER

This gets the images to sequence around the centers of the
photos (mandatory), instead of all butted up against any side
which looks pretty bad when a pano or any jump size comes on.

Thumbnails>Thumb Valign>Center
If I use bottom, it looks way off like a mistake.

thumbnail navigation>Thumb nav style>none

Caption>float caption>no
If I check yes, small windows ignore the caption and cut it off.
Folks who start with a small window would never even know
there was a caption there.

Caption>caption padding>70
This gets the caption where it needs to be, but it also over-narrows the caption left
and right and looks bad and forces more lines until they eventually get clipped as well.
Picture #9 is the best offender.

Caption>Caption height>170
Less height and caption is clipped #9.
The thumbs do squeeze off the top in a small window.
biggest problem, that caption.

BTW, one of your instructions says "You could drop your
thumbnails down a little by removing the reserved space for
the thumbnail navigation arrows by setting thumbNavPosition="NONE"."
but my version shows only bottom & center choices.

So, any thoughts?  Thanks Steve

Last edited by steve z (2012-04-07 04:59:12)

A caption area of fixed height will be able to accommodate only a certain amount of text.
I think you have either tried (or would rather not use) most of my ideas to solve the problem of the captions getting clipped.
However, here is a (hopefully) comprehensive list.
(1) Use floatCaption="TRUE" and captionPosition="TOP"
(2) Use captionPosition="OVERLAY_BOTTOM", perhaps in conjunction with showOverlay="ALWAYS"
(3) Increase the captionHeight
(4) Decrease the captionPadding
(5) Decrease the font size of the caption text for long captions using HTML formatting
(6) Use less text in your captions

With regard to the thumbnails (which do not scale dynamically) being cropped off the top of the page, try one of the following:
(1) Use thumbVAlign="TOP"
(2) Use smaller thumbnails by decreasing the thumbHeight
(3) Decrease the number of thumbRows so that less thumbnails are displayed per page.

BTW, one of your instructions says "You could drop your
thumbnails down a little by removing the reserved space for
the thumbnail navigation arrows by setting thumbNavPosition="NONE"."
but my version shows only bottom & center choices.

Sorry. I should have written thumbNavStyle="NONE". I have now edited my previous post to reflect the correction.

Steven Speirs

Steven,
You're a code master; couldn't you write up code that would solve this problem?
Namely a feature that lets the pictures place via picture centers with captions that
would adhere to the picture bottoms.  All the center alignments almost do that.

(2) Use captionPosition="OVERLAY_BOTTOM", perhaps in conjunction with showOverlay="ALWAYS"

Would it work then to extend the picture bottom canvas size with background color before bringing it into SV,
and then overlay always option would not interfere with the picture at all cuz it would write over the
extended canvas?  Then will I have the opportunity for full width captions which also would not get so squeezed
off screen or get odd shaped on small monitors?
I bet yes.

(6) Use less text in your captions
Not an option for story telling.

hmm, now I see you have a simple viewer word press plug in.
Should I be using that cause I'm gonna do lots of word press.
Does it do anything different from that shadowbox js I use?
Where do we get that?

Feature request
SVPro>Images
When we want to replace an existing image, it would be
nice to have an "overwrite" feature that replaces it in place
in the show order AND with caption still in place too.

more hmm, is juicebox going to be the solution to all above?

Thanks alot !
SZ

Last edited by steve z (2012-04-07 18:38:16)

You're a code master; couldn't you write up code that would solve this problem?

I am not one of the developers of SimpleViewer and SimpleViewer-Pro does not come with modifiable source code so all gallery layouts must be formed using the preconfigured options.

Would it work then to extend the picture bottom canvas size with background color before bringing it into SV,
and then overlay always option would not interfere with the picture at all cuz it would write over the
extended canvas?  Then will I have the opportunity for full width captions which also would not get so squeezed
off screen or get odd shaped on small monitors?
I bet yes.

That is a very good example of thinking outside the box and there is no reason why this would not work.

hmm, now I see you have a simple viewer word press plug in.
Should I be using that cause I'm gonna do lots of word press.
Does it do anything different from that shadowbox js I use?
Where do we get that?

WP-SimpleViewer (the dedicated SimpleViewer plugin for WordPress) can be downloaded from this page.
It embeds a SimpleViewer gallery directly in a WordPress post (not in a lightbox such as Shadowbox).
It comes bundled with SimpleViewer-Standard but can be upgraded to SimpleViewer-Pro by following these instructions.
The alternative to using WP-SimpleViewer is to create your gallery using svBuilder-Pro (or any other method of your choice), upload the entire gallery folder (not just the contents) to your web server and embed the gallery in a post using one of the two methods described here.

Feature request
SVPro>Images
When we want to replace an existing image, it would be
nice to have an "overwrite" feature that replaces it in place
in the show order AND with caption still in place too.

You can change the order of images on svBuilder-Pro's 'Images' tab by dragging and dropping the thumbnails (or by using the 'Images -> Sort' options from the application's drop-down menu at the top.

more hmm, is juicebox going to be the solution to all above?

Juicebox is still currently in development. However, you can sign up for the Juicebox newsletter to hear about the launch first by entering your email address on this page.

Steven Speirs

That is a very good example of thinking outside the box and there is no reason why this would not work.

It worked.

The alternative to using WP-SimpleViewer is to create your gallery using svBuilder-Pro (or any other method of your choice), upload the entire gallery folder (not just the contents) to your web server and embed the gallery in a post using one of the two methods described here.

Wouldn't the gallery thus uploaded be confined to the space defined by the word press theme coding?
Shadow box gets us up and out of that.

Also, the keyboard arrow keys do NOT work on the first image.
After going to any image, they work on any image.

Also, for the cranes, (http://blog.stevezavodny.com/cranes/) when in shadowbox, images are balanced in the wordpress space. When go to full screen, stuff is crammed at the top.  But in the accompanying essay, "along the way", that does not happen.
????

Last edited by steve z (2012-04-23 04:37:31)

Wouldn't the gallery thus uploaded be confined to the space defined by the word press theme coding?
Shadow box gets us up and out of that.

This is true of using either WP-SimpleViewer (which does not feature Shadowbox functionality) or creating a gallery with svBuilder-Pro, uploading the gallery and then embedding the gallery in a post. The would need to add the Shadowbox functionality yourself.

Also, the keyboard arrow keys do NOT work on the first image.
After going to any image, they work on any image.

The user must first click anywhere on the Flash stage (in a blank area surrounding the image will do) to give the Flash presentation focus in order for the keyboard shortcuts to take effect. Clicking on an image (as you have discovered) will also work.

Also, for the cranes, (http://blog.stevezavodny.com/cranes/) when in shadowbox, images are balanced in the wordpress space. When go to full screen, stuff is crammed at the top.

This is likely due to the use of the following entries in your 'Cranes' gallery's XML file:

stageVPadding="-60"
stageVAlign="TOP"

Your Shadowbox is not as tall as your browser window and so there is less space visible beneath the gallery when it is displayed in the Shadowbox than when the gallery is displayed fullscreen.

But in the accompanying essay, "along the way", that does not happen.

Try using the settings from this gallery's XML file in your 'Cranes' gallery.
Please bear in mind that you may need to alter the maxImageWidth and maxImageHeight options for each specific gallery.

Steven Speirs