Topic: Appearance on different browsers

Hi,

Our web site uses SimpleViewer successfully when using Chrome or IE where it shows the thumbs at the bottom and the main image above. (We use galleryStyle="COMPACT".)

See here:

http://www.hannah-lewis.co.uk/NewWeb/pr … ?project=1

However, when you look at the site on Safari, FireFox or Opera it shows only the thumbs.

If you then click on a thumb it shows the main image but the galleryStyle does not seem to be "COMPACT".

What are we doing wrong? We want it like Chrome on all browsers?

Thanks in advance.

TomD

Re: Appearance on different browsers

However, when you look at the site on Safari, FireFox or Opera it shows only the thumbs.

What you are describing sounds like the Mobile Player. Make sure that Adobe Flash Player is installed and enabled in all your browsers by visiting this page in each browser.
Please see this FAQ for details.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Stephen,

You are quite right. If I go to that Adobe page I cannot see the movie on those browsers.

I do not understand this, though.

If Flash is not installed, how come I can see the thumbs and then the main image when I click a thumb? I would have thought that I would have got all or nothing.

Also, I thought I had a routine on my web page to detect if Flash is installed and warn you if not. That does not activate.

It's as though Flash is half installed.

Is there something to put on the web page to get people to install Flash properly in this position?

I have not gone into this but does Flash have to be installed into each browser, not just once onto the computer?

TomD

If Flash is not installed, how come I can see the thumbs and then the main image when I click a thumb? I would have thought that I would have got all or nothing.

SimpleViewer (since v2.1) supports Universal Playback, whereby the gallery will be displayed by the Mobile Player (using JavaScript, CSS and HTML instead of Flash) on mobile devices and in browsers which do not have Adobe Flash Player installed and enabled.

Also, I thought I had a routine on my web page to detect if Flash is installed and warn you if not. That does not activate.

Because a gallery will always be displayed (by either the Flash Player or the Mobile Player), there is no longer any need for a 'Flash Player is required' message.
If you wish to disable the Mobile Player (if the required version of Adobe Flash Player is not detected) and would rather divert users towards installing Adobe Flash Player in their browsers, you could change your embedding code to something like the following:

<!--START SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED.-->
<script type="text/javascript" src="svcore/js/simpleviewer.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
    simpleviewer.ready(function () {
        if (swfobject.hasFlashPlayerVersion("10.0.0"))
        {
            var flashvars={};
            flashvars.baseURL="portfolio/0100_Portraits/";   
            simpleviewer.load('sv-container', '100%', '100%', 'ffffff', true, flashvars);
        }
        else
        {
            document.getElementById('sv-container').innerHTML='<a href="http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/">Click here to get Adobe Flash Player</a>';
        }
    });
</script>
<div id="sv-container"></div>
<!-- END SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED -->

I have not gone into this but does Flash have to be installed into each browser, not just once onto the computer?

Yes. There are different installation programs for different browsers: an ActiveX version for Internet Explorer and a Plugin version for plugin-based browsers such as Firefox.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.