Topic: Photos not displaying

Hello,

I am using SimpleViewer Gallery for the photo galleries on a business website (not a blog). My site is being built on my local machine using Instant Wordpress. On my local machine, the photos galleries are all set and look good. When we "package" the site using "Duplicator" and install it on another machine, the photos will not display in the galleries. The URL that gets set automatically within the "Show" photo page creates a link to my local machine, so when we package the site and install it on another machine, the photos cannot be found. Only an "x" displays where the photo should be. The photos were uploaded to the galleries on my machine from my local machine as well, in case this information helps.

How do we get the photos and photo galleries to remain in tact and display when we move the site to another local machine for testing, and also how do we ensure that the photos will display when we move the site to the host for test and then production?

Please help!!!

Re: Photos not displaying

WP-SimpleViewer uses absolute URLs for all internal paths (galleryURL, thumbURLs and imageURLs). You could try changing your 'WordPress Address (URL)' in the 'Dashboard -> Settings -> General' page and then 'Edit' and 'Update' the post to force a rewrite of the gallery's XML file. If this does not work, try resaving the gallery first (without actually making any changes) through the 'Dashboard -> SimpleViewer -> Edit Galleries' option before editing and updating the post.
Alternatively, you could create your gallery by a method other than with WP-SimpleViewer.
If you were to create your gallery with svBuilder, for example, the gallery folder created would be a self-contained entity and all paths within the gallery folder would be relative so the folder could be moved or uploaded anywhere and the gallery would still function. You could then embed the gallery in WordPress using one of the two methods described here.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi,

Thank you for your help. I am stuck at a different point now and can use some help.

I downloaded Adobe Air and svBuilder. I then created a gallery (I will need to create several for my website). I am in the "Publish" screen. I entered the "Gallery Folder Name" as the path to the folder where the new gallery files are stored on my local machine. Then I named the "Index Page Name" as "consumer_index.html", because the gallery is a series of consumer related photos for the website.

On page 13 of the "Embedding into a HTML Page" instructions, Step 5 says to "Copy the entire contents of your SimpleViewer gallery folder into the folder that contains the HTML page." Where exactly in a Wordpress Genesis/Enterprise Theme file structure would I find the folder that contains the HTML page, so that I can copy the contents of the SimpleViewer gallery to the correct location? I have tried copying it in many locations, but all I am getting is the error message on my website that says "Gallery XML Not Found". What am I missing here?

I appreciate your help. Thank you!

When embedding a gallery in WordPress (with so many files already on your web server), it would be much easier to keep your gallery folder as a self-contained entity. Upload the complete gallery folder (not just the contents) to your web server and embed the gallery using one of the two methods described here.
It does not matter where on your web server you upload your gallery folder to, as long as you know where it is.
If your gallery folder is called 'mygallery' and you upload it to the root of your web space (whose domain name in this example is www.example.com'), then the embedding code you would enter into your WordPress post would be:

<!--START SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED.-->
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.example.com/mygallery/svcore/js/simpleviewer.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
var flashvars = {};
flashvars.baseURL = "http://www.example.com/mygallery/";
simpleviewer.ready(function () {
simpleviewer.load("sv-container", "100%", "100%", "222222", true, flashvars);
});
</script>
<div id="sv-container"></div>
<!-- END SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED -->

Keeping all your gallery files together in the gallery folder makes it easier to edit and update the gallery in the future (especially if you have several galleries). You can simply replace a complete folder. It also prevents you from having to rename the gallery's HTML index page as it will not clash with any of your existing web pages as long as it is located within the gallery folder.

Steven Speirs

Hi again,

Thank you again for trying to help. O.k., here's where I'm at...it's still not working, and I am sure that I am missing something here, so if you could please assist further until I can get this issue resolved quickly, I would really appreciate it!

Just to make sure we're on the same page, I am currently working on my local machine using Instant Wordpress. Therefore, my "host" right now is my own laptop. The URL for my own laptop is currently 127.0.0.1:4001/wordpress. I need to create multiple photo galleries for my client's website. Each gallery will be displayed on a different page in the website. The menu structure is as follows with a page for each of the submenu items that will hold the photos:
Photo Gallery
   Consumer
   Development
   Instrumentation
   Medical
   Green Technologies

I have so far created the first photo gallery for Consumer, using svBuilder. The gallery folder and files within the folder are stored on my local machine on the C: drive in a directory (C:/InstantWP_4.1/AEIphotos&logos/AEIPhotoGallery1/Consumer). I then went into the Instant Wordpress Dashboard, and opened the Edit Page for my Consumer Page. In the edit box within that page, I embedded the gallery code as you outlined. However, I am still unclear about what you mean when you say to "upload the gallery to the root of my web space (whose domain name in this example is www.example.com). What would be the root of my web space in the situation I am describing, and how would I upload it there?

Within my Intant Wordpress Dashboard, I have entered the following embed code as you described, but it is not working, as I am obviously missing something here:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://127.0.0.1:4001/wordpress/AEIPhotos&Logos/AEIPhotoGallery1/Consumer/svcore/js/simpleviewer.js"></script>
var flashvars = {};
flashvars.baseURL = "http://127.0.0.1:4001/wordpress/AEIPhot … /Consumer/";
simpleviewer.load("sv-container", "100%", "100%", "666666", true, flashvars);
});
</script>

Also, once I get beyond how to display the galleries within my website on my local machine, how exactly would I then move all this in tact to the web host when I want to go live? Would I have to re-do all this on the web host and relink everything, or would it automatically somehow change the URL and pathing to the correct ones?

I appreciate your quick responses! I am working on a deadline and this is really causing a problem right now. Thank you!!!

Change your embedding code to:

<script type="text/javascript" src="file:///C:/InstantWP_4.1/AEIphotos&logos/AEIPhotoGallery1/Consumer/svcore/js/simpleviewer.js"></script>
var flashvars = {};
flashvars.baseURL = "file:///C:/InstantWP_4.1/AEIphotos&logos/AEIPhotoGallery1/Consumer/";
});
</script>
Steven Speirs

Hi!

O.k., I think we've made some progress but we're not quite there yet!

I created all of my galleries now. They are all in this file structure as described earlier:
C:/InstantWP_4.1/AEIphotos&logos/AEIPhotoGallery1/
Consumer
Development
Green Technologies
Instrumentation
Medical

I embedded the code that you had outlined in your last reply to my post. Now I can see that the background color that I have changed for my photo gallery is actually being used in the site behind the message I am getting, and instead of the error message I was getting before saying that the XML file could not be found, I now have a rectangle the color of my selected background color, with a black rectangle within that saying SIMPLEVIEWER in white, and a white rectangle below the word SIMPLEVIEWER. So! It looks like it is almost there, but not quite finding the photo gallery yet.

What am I still missing?

Also, once I get the galleries working here (cross your fingers!), what would be the process for moving this external gallery file structure to another local machine or up to the host? Would I need to recode the embedded text once I move the site to the actual host to go live, to point to a different location/src?

Thanks for working on this with me!

I now have a rectangle the color of my selected background color, with a black rectangle within that saying SIMPLEVIEWER in white, and a white rectangle below the word SIMPLEVIEWER

It sounds as if your gallery is hanging at the point where the images should be loading.
Check the paths of the imageURLs and thumbURLs within your gallery's XML file.
It might help if you could zip and upload one of your galleries that does not display correctly in order for me to take a look and help further.

Also, once I get the galleries working here (cross your fingers!), what would be the process for moving this external gallery file structure to another local machine or up to the host? Would I need to recode the embedded text once I move the site to the actual host to go live, to point to a different location/src?

Yes. Just move or upload each gallery folder in its entirety and then, in each chunk of embedding code, point the baseURL towards the gallery folder in its new location using a URL such as http://www.example.com/mygallery/ if it is on a web server or file:///C:/mygallery/ if local.
Also change the line:

<script type="text/javascript" src="file:///C:/InstantWP_4.1/AEIphotos&logos/AEIPhotoGallery1/Consumer/svcore/js/simpleviewer.js"></script>

... to point towards the 'simpleviewer.js' file within each gallery folder.

Steven Speirs

Yes, that's what I am thinking too...seems to know it's there, but it won't bring up the images. What do you recommend for zipping the file, and how do I send it to you? Thanks.

I have a zip file of my photo galleries that I am trying to display within Wordpress/Genesis/Enterprise Theme. As I stated, I am stuck here because I am now getting the rectangle with the color background I chose for the gallery, but only the word SIMPLEVIEWER and a white rectangle beneath that in the colored rectangle...no photo gallery displaying. How do I upload this zip file to you so that you can help me figure out how to get these photo galleries to display? Please help!

What do you recommend for zipping the file,

7-zip: http://www.7-zip.org/

and how do I send it to you?

Can you upload it to a web server and post the URL?
If not, you could use a file-sharing service like Box: http://www.box.com/
If the zip file is under 10MB, you could perhaps email it to me. I will send you an email with my email address.

Steven Speirs

Thank you for emailing me your zip file.
I have been able to view all your galleries successfully on my PC and all looks OK.
All the links within the XML files are relative so the gallery folders can be moved around successfully without having to worry about pathing problems.

Are you able to view the galleries individually OK on your computer?
Do they hang only when embedded in Instant WordPress?
Is using Instant WordPress a temporary measure before uploading the site to a web server?
Perhaps the issue lies with Instant WordPress as uploading the galleries to a regular WordPress installation should work fine.

One thing you could try is to change your embedding code from the baseURL method to the <iframe> method described here: http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/su … l#external

For example, you would change the following:

var flashvars = {};
flashvars.baseURL = "file:///C:/InstantWP_4.1/AEIphotos&logos/AEIPhotoGallery1/Consumer/";
});
</script>

... to:

<iframe src="file:///C:/InstantWP_4.1/AEIphotos&logos/AEIPhotoGallery1/Consumer/" width="100%" height="100%" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Also, make sure that you are using the most recent version of Adobe Flash Player. You can check this by visiting this page in your browser: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/ … layer.html

Steven Speirs

Hi!

You were able to display the photo galleries as currently coded with the embedded code? On a host versus Instant Wordpress on a local machine?

I can open the gallery files and see the photos, and when I save the gallery in svBuilder, a page opens up with the gallery displayed correctly. So, does that mean that if I see it display correctly in that save window that pops up from svBuilder, then the embedded code is correct as coded, and that it just doesn't work with Instant Wordpress on a local machine? The thing is, I am also bringing my local Instant Wordpress site with the Mozilla Firefox browser and all I am getting is the rectangle I described with the word Simpleviewer.

I will. E moving the site to a host and go live soon. Are you thinking that this will only work when I move it to the host? I don't want to move it just to find out the photo galleries won't work.

What do you think? Thank you.

I have successfully embedded your galleries (and have since deleted them) in a live (but private) WordPress environment on my web server using baseURL embedding code so you should have no problems with the galleries when moving your site to your web server.
It would appear that the problem lies somewhere within Instant WordPress, which I am not familiar with and, as yet, have been unable to successfully embed a SimpleViewer gallery in.

Steven Speirs

Hi,

O.k., so! I uploaded the photo gallery files to my host test area. I have a test host area in Wordpress called "http://nameofbusiness.com/wp-admin", and I am starting with my Consumer Photo Gallery. I uploaded the AEIPhotoGallery1 with all the subfiles for the galleries to wp-content, so the file structure is:
http://nameofbusiness.com/wp-admin/wp-c … 1/Consumer. (I am not sure if I need to include the wp-admin part or not either - do I omit that part?)

You said in your last post that you used baseURL embedding code. Is this how my embed code should be written now?

<script type="text/javascript" src ="http://nameofbusiness.com/wp-admin/wp-content/AEIPhotoGallery1/Consumer/svcore/js/simpleviewer.js"></script>
var flashvars = {};
flashvars.baseURL = "http://nameofbusiness.com/wp-admin-wp-c … /Consumer/";
simpleviewer.load("sv-container", "100%", "100%", "333333", true, flashvars;
});
</script>

Thank you!

Hi again,

I had to send you an email with an attachment of an error message and some questions to help me figure some of the remaining issues out. Would you please let me know that you got it and how I can resolve these items? Thank you so much!

Please check your email. I have sent you a reply. Thank you.

Steven Speirs

I had to send you another email as I needed to cut and paste information into it, and I couldn't do that on the post.
Thank you again for your assistance!

Correspondence continued via email.

Steven Speirs

Hello,
First of all, thank you for all your help so far! I have created all my galleries and embedded them into my website. I had to set the gallery dimensions to exact sizes to get the images to display pretty much how I wanted them. I currently have two outstanding issues that I need assistance with:

1) I am still getting that error message that I emailed you a copy of when I click the "open image in new window" icon on the larger photo. I checked the linkURL entries in my gallery's XML file, and all of them reference the image files. How do I fix this problem so that the error message does not occur, but rather the image actually gets opened in a new window? Is there some setting on the host that needs to be set in order for the image to display properly?

2) I have a particular gallery with 13 thumbnails. Due to space limitations on the site, I need to arrange the thumbnails in 3 columns across and 5 rows across. When I click the "full screen" icon, it takes me to the full screen area, but because there are so many thumbnails, the larger image at the top is no bigger than it was on the display page before I clicked the icon. Is there a way to change how the thumbnails are displayed on the "full page" screen, so that the selected image can actually be viewed in a larger form? What are some options for getting a close up view of the selected photo in this scenario?

Thank you so much!

1) I am still getting that error message that I emailed you a copy of when I click the "open image in new window" icon on the larger photo. I checked the linkURL entries in my gallery's XML file, and all of them reference the image files. How do I fix this problem so that the error message does not occur, but rather the image actually gets opened in a new window? Is there some setting on the host that needs to be set in order for the image to display properly?

Please post or email me the link to the gallery in question so that I can take a look and help further.

2) I have a particular gallery with 13 thumbnails. Due to space limitations on the site, I need to arrange the thumbnails in 3 columns across and 5 rows across. When I click the "full screen" icon, it takes me to the full screen area, but because there are so many thumbnails, the larger image at the top is no bigger than it was on the display page before I clicked the icon. Is there a way to change how the thumbnails are displayed on the "full page" screen, so that the selected image can actually be viewed in a larger form? What are some options for getting a close up view of the selected photo in this scenario?

SimpleViewer uses the same XML file to display the gallery in Fullscreen mode as it does in normal mode.
In order to have different layouts for Fullscreen and normal modes, you would have to use different XML files for each.
This is possible but not easy to achieve.
It can be done by embedding SimpleViewer-Pro into a container movie in Flash, adding an event listener to the FullScreenEvent.FULL_SCREEN event to call a function which will load a specific gallery depending on whether fullscreen mode is entered or exited.
A sample container movie .fla file can be found in the SimpleViewer-Pro download package ('simpleviewer_pro_230\examples\flash_embed\simpleviewer_flash_embed.fla').
The relevant code for changing galleries on entering/exiting fullscreen mode can be found in this thread: http://www.simpleviewer.net/forum/viewt … p?id=13209
For reference, the 'Embedding in Flash' section of the 'Embedding SimpleViewer-Pro' page can be found here: http://simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/pr … html#flash

Steven Speirs

Hi,

Again, thank you for all your help so far! I have my galleries in the website and all is working except one thing...
When I click the Open in New Window icon in the photo that is displayed above the thumbnails, it takes me to a separate page that says "Oops!" and gives me an error code. You had stated in a previous post that the user would need to have Adobe Flash Player installed and activated in their browser in order for this error not to occur and to be able to display the photo in a new browser window. However, I have Adobe Flash Player newly downloaded and installed, and it still is giving me the same errors. I tried it in Google Chrome that automatically enables Adobe Flash Player, I tried it in Mozilla Firefox by enabling it manually, and I tried it in Yahoo. All result in the errors when you try to open the image with the Open in New Window icon. Can you help?
Thank you!

The 'Open in New Window' button should work equally well in both the Flash Player and the Mobile Player (used to display galleries on mobile devices and in browsers which do not have Adobe Flash Player installed and enabled).

(1) Make sure you are using the current version of SimpleViewer (v2.3.0) to ensure that your problem is not caused by a bug in a previous version which has since been fixed.

(2) Check the linkURL entries in your gallery's XML file. The 'Open in New Window' button will open the URLs specified by the linkURL entries (unless they are empty or missing, in which case the imageURL entries will be used).

(3) Clear your browser's cache after making any changes before reloading your gallery to ensure that your browser does not use an older version of your gallery's XML file

If all of the above suggestions do not help, then please post the URL to your gallery so that I can take a look and help further.

Steven Speirs