Topic: Missing images on iPhone and iPad

Hi all, I've been a long time user of SimpleViewer and it's worked really well for me. I've recently upgraded from version 1.9 to 2.3 and adjusted the HTML to use the new SVCORE directory appropriately. The website works really well and I'm very happy with it.

You can see it here: http://www.helenparris.com

Now my problem as you can see from the topic title is that when I view the website via an iPhone or iPad the image placeholders appear but do not get loaded. I must be missing something fundamental but I can't work it out.

All filenames are in the format of: 0000123.jpg so there are no filename case problems as far as I can see.

My Gallery.xml files look like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<simpleviewerGallery maxImageWidth="640" maxImageHeight="640" textColor="0xFFFFFF" frameColor="0xFFFFFF" frameWidth="10" stagePadding="40" navPadding="40" thumbnailColumns="3" thumbnailRows="3" navPosition="left" vAlign="center" hAlign="center" title="Cenotes" enableRightClickOpen="false" backgroundImagePath="" imagePath="cenotes/photos/" thumbPath="cenotes/thumbnails/">
    <image>
        <filename>000274.jpg</filename>
        <caption>Carwash Cenote, Tulum, Mexico (C01)</caption>
    </image>
    <image>
        <filename>000308.jpg</filename>
        <caption>Gran Cenote, Tulum, Mexico (C02)</caption>
    </image>

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.

Thanks,
Gareth.

Re: Missing images on iPhone and iPad

Your 'gallery.xml' files are in SimpleViewer v1 format and need to be converted to SimpleViewer v2 format.
For example, the following:

<image>
    <filename>000274.jpg</filename>
</image>

... would be replaced by:

<image imageURL="images/000274.jpg" thumbURL="thumbs/000274.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="">
</image>

In order to automatically convert the 'gallery.xml' files to the correct format, please see the section entitled Upgrading Exisiting Galleries to Version 2.3.0 on the 'Upgrading SimpleViewer-Pro' page.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi Steven, thank you for your prompt reply. I have now updated one of my gallery.xml files to the new format but now none of the files display at all on both the normal Flash viewer and the iPhone.

The gallery I have updated can be found here: http://www.helenparris.com/g_cenotes.php

An extract of the gallery.xml file is below:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<simpleviewerGallery maxImageWidth="640" maxImageHeight="640" textColor="0xFFFFFF" frameColor="0xFFFFFF" 
frameWidth="10" stagePadding="40" navPadding="40" thumbnailColumns="3" thumbnailRows="3" 
navPosition="left" vAlign="center" hAlign="center" title="Cenotes" enableRightClickOpen="false" 
backgroundImagePath="" imagePath="cenotes/photos/" thumbPath="cenotes/thumbnails/">

<image imageURL="photos/000274.jpg" thumbURL="thumbnails/000274.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="">
    </image>
    <image imageURL="photos/000308.jpg" thumbURL="thumbnails/000308.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="">
        <caption>Gran Cenote, Tulum, Mexico (C02)</caption>
    </image>

The imagePath and thumbPath attributes to the <simpleviewergallery> tag are no longer used (they were deprecated in v2.1.2 as noted in the SimpleViewer Version History).
The imageURL and thumbURL attributes to the <image> tags should either be absolute or relative to the HTML page into which the gallery is embedded.
In your case, try:

<image imageURL="cenotes/photos/000274.jpg" thumbURL="cenotes/thumbnails/000274.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="">
Steven Speirs

Great stuff that worked. Thank you!

Is there anyway I could make these links relative though? I am trying to keep the file as simple as possible (as it's not me who has to edit it).

Also, can the <simpleviewergallery> attributes be taken out of the gallery.xml file and made into flashvars?

Specifically these values:

maxImageWidth="640" maxImageHeight="640" textColor="0xFFFFFF" 
frameColor="0xFFFFFF" frameWidth="10" stagePadding="40" navPadding="40" 
thumbnailColumns="3" thumbnailRows="3" navPosition="left" 
vAlign="center" hAlign="center" enableRightClickOpen="false">

Is there anyway I could make these links relative though?

The links are already relative (to the HTML page into which the gallery is embedded).
The alternative would be to use absolute URLs such as http://www.helenparris.com/cenotes/photos/000274.jpg

If you want to keep the relative links as short as possible, then you could:
(1) Create your gallery (perhaps using svBuilder-Pro)
(2) Upload your complete gallery folder (not just the contents)
(3) Embed the gallery using the baseURL method described here

The relative links (the imageURLs and the thumbURLs) within the XML file will then become relative to the baseURL (rather than the HTML page itself).

Also, can the <simpleviewergallery> attributes be taken out of the gallery.xml file and made into flashvars?

Yes. Please see the top of the FlashVar Options section of the 'SimpleViewer-Pro Config Options' page for details.

An example (to set the frameColor and frameWidth via flashvars) would look like this:

<!--START SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED.-->
<script type="text/javascript" src="svcore/js/simpleviewer.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
var flashvars={};
flashvars.frameColor="0xFFFFFF";
flashvars.frameWidth="10";
simpleviewer.load("sv-container", "100%", "100%", "222222", true, flashvars);
});
</script>
<div id="sv-container"></div>
<!-- END SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED -->

Please note that your gallery's XML file still uses attributes from SimpleViewer v1 which are no longer used in SimpleViewer v2. SimpleViewer v2 will interpret them as best it can if there is a direct equivalent but where there is not (for example with navPadding) you may need to tweak your gallery's layout using the available nearest equivalent v2 options. To be sure of no surprises, it would be best to simply use only v2 options. Below is a list of your v1 options and the nearest v2 equivalents:

navPadding -> stageHPadding & stageVPadding
navPosition -> thumbPosition
hAlign -> stageHAlign
vAlign -> stageVAlign
thumbnailColumns -> thumbColumns
thumbnailRows -> thumbRows
stagePadding -> stageHPadding & stageVPadding

Please see the SimpleViewer-Pro Config Options page for a full list of SimpleViewer v2 options.

Steven Speirs

Steven, thank you very much for all of your help. I have now been able to sort out the site so that it works correctly.

One final query if you don't mind....   when viewing the gallery images on the iPad I can see that the page title is correctly set to "Helen Parris Photography - Cenotes" and also if I click on one of the images to view it, again the title says the same.

However if I then click on the open in fullscreen icon the title changes to "SimpleViewer Gallery". Is this correct?

On the desktop computer you don't see the title because the whole screen is covered but on the iPad you do.

Many thanks once again,
Gareth.

When viewing a SimpleViewer gallery with the Mobile Player in 'Full Window' mode, SimpleViewer uses the 'full.html' file within the 'svcore' folder, which is where the 'SimpleViewer Gallery' title is coming from.
Just open the 'full.html' file in a plain text editor and edit the contents of the <title></title> tags.

Steven Speirs

Perfect! Thanks once again.