Topic: Open link in new tab and switch to new tab

I have created a gallery using the standard Tilt Viewer but have now purchased the Pro version as I've really impressed with it.

I have added links to the reverse of the image which I want to open in a new tab and the new tab to become the active tab.

I've tried using the linkTarget instruction "_blank" which I hoped would provide this functionality.  However, there seems to be no difference between this and not using the linkTarget instruction as all; in both cases a new tab opens but the Tiltviewer tab remains the active tab. 

I would really appreciate it if someone could suggest a solution.

Re: Open link in new tab and switch to new tab

However, there seems to be no difference between this and not using the linkTarget instruction as all

This is because the default value for the linkTarget Pro option is '_blank'. If no linkTarget is specified, TiltViewer will use the default value (which is '_blank'). For reference, a description of the linkTarget Pro option can be found on the TiltViewer Configuration Options page.

in both cases a new tab opens but the Tiltviewer tab remains the active tab.

This is the default behavior for most (if not all) browsers. Right-click any link in a browser and select 'Open in new tab'.
The link will open in a new tab but the new tab will not be given focus until the tab is selected.
In Firefox, you can change this behavior by going to 'Tools -> Options -> Tabs' and selecting the checkbox entitled 'When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately'.
There will likely be a similar option in other browsers.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your quick response.

I looked at the configuration options but assumed as _blank was listed it did something different to the default settings and therefore was an additional functionality in return for paying for the full version - otherwise why bother to list it without at least indicating it is the default setting?

When I use the href html command the links tend to switch to the new tab without needing to change the browser settings and I was just hoping the linkTarget command could be set to do the same without the need for the user to change their browser settings. 

I'm not an HTML expert so apologies if we're talking chalk and cheese here with linkTarget and href!

Regards,

Malc

otherwise why bother to list it without at least indicating it is the default setting?

All values of all options are listed for teh sake of completeness.
The 'Default Values' are listed in the second column of the 'Pro Options' table (between the 'Option Names' and the 'Descriptions').

When I use the href html command the links tend to switch to the new tab without needing to change the browser settings and I was just hoping the linkTarget command could be set to do the same without the need for the user to change their browser settings.

It is up the the user to decide what tab should take focus when they open a link in a new tab.
I do not think it would be possible for a web page's code to override a user's own browser settings. It would certainly not be welcome as it would not be what the user expects.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.