Topic: Problem with parsing long URL to browser

I'm using the SV Picasa template V1.8 and modified/ customized it for my apllication. The imageNode.xml has been modified and generates a long URL to the next page when clicking the link.

But .... I face a serious problem with the lenght of the URL parsed to the next page (browser MS IE 6SP2). It is cut of after 179 characters.

It could be caused, I think, by limits set to "max_url_len" in the source code of SV.

Anyone any experience/ knowledge about this issue?

met vriendelijke groet,
Berend

Re: Problem with parsing long URL to browser

Hi, there is no "max_url_len" in the SV source. You may be hitting a browser limitation. Google "URL max length".

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

To quote "$5si":

ps: Felix , in my page i faced also the lenght of url problem. You say no barrier in SV.
But what about the lenght of whole caption? This is also unlimited?

And ... if the browser limits URL, how to cange that?

I refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q208427/

We need to understand the problem and get the soluition.

met vriendelijke groet,
Berend

My philosofy:
Difficult issues are there to solve ... not to ignore!!

I refer to the URL lenght problem !!

I call on all SV fans to read and follow this topic in order to get the understanding and solution of the problem.

I consulted several experts without result, but I learned following.
1) It has nothing to do with my browsers. Why? Both in IE and FF I get the same problem and I have no problem at all, repeat NO PROBLEM AT ALL, with other internet applications that parse very long URL's!!
2) It has nothing to do with the configuration of PHP 5 which is on my webserver!
3) I'm not the only one facing this problem !!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it's not a bug in SV Picasa template (see reply Felix), what it it then?

I will try to find some answer by looking more in detail in Picassa itself; but don't expect to much (Google is not answering e-mails about this!)

Again, has anyone some idea how to solve this?

met vriendelijke groet,
Berend

Okay no need to be so angry. Why do you need such long urls?

Felix Turner

Okay no need to be so angry. Why do you need such long urls?

Felix,

I'm not angry; maybe unpatience!

I use three parameters with a long galery name and long picture names, which make the URL lenght > 128 characters.

Did you receive the private message, in which I explaines everything in more detail, I send to 'felix@airtightinteractive.com'?

met vriendelijke groet,
Berend

Hi Felix,

With regard to my URL lenght problem following information to help solving this issue.

With the help of "s5vi" I managed to get the following relative URL in "galery.xml" (I'm using SV Picasa template V1.8):

../../../fotosbestellen.php?fotonr=upd_tp_tweespan_ereklasse__3_.jpg&evenement=20060923-UPD-Utrecht-TP-Tweespan-Ereklasse&rubriek=Tuigpaarden
which equals a URL lenght of 141 charackters. So far, so good!
Note: parameters "fotonr" and "evenement" are from <%itemName%> and <%exportDescription%> from the Flash program; "rubriek" is added to galery.xml by a trick!

The "galery.xml" parses this URL to "viewer.swf" as:
../../../fotosbestellen.php?fotonr=upd_tp_tweespan_ereklasse__3_.jpg&evenement=20060923-UPD-Utrecht-TP-Tweespan-Ereklasse&rubrie
which equals a URL lenght of 128 charackters! So trimmed at 128 !!

I tested this with another dynamically created URL :
../../../fotosbestellen.php?fotonr=upd_tp_tweespan_ereklasse__10_.jpg&evenement=20060923-UPD-Utrecht-TP-Tweespan-Ereklasse&rubri
also trimmed to 128 charackters!

The textlink in "viewer.swf" shows :
mydomainname.nl/development/buy-fotos-online/fotosbestellen.php?fotonr=upd_tp_tweespan_ereklasse__4_.jpg&evenement=20060923-UPD-Utrecht-TP-Tweespan-Ereklasse&rubrie
so also trimmed in the same way, but in total > 128 charackters.

Calling and showing the >128 character long link of the XML-file in my browser is no problem; so the browser doesn't trim after 128 characters !!

I did a lot of research throug Google and I found that it is an XML -> Flash problem !! It could be a limit set by the XML parser to an attribute in Flash (a lot on the internet about that!). But more likely, because it is with parsing an URL (<A HREF>) only, it is caused by Flash that uses an 8bit value to store link attributes when transforming the htmlText.

Because the "galery.xml" parses a URL with lenght > 128 to "viewer.swf" as a URL of exact 128 characters (so trimmed!) it has to be an issue with Flash in SV! This idea is supported by my reaearch. Do you agree?

I found a workaround in http://chattyfig.figleaf.com/pipermail/ … 35327.html, but I am to much a newbie in XML and Flash to get this working.

Felix, do you see a possibility with the information I gave you, to fix the problem or to implement a workaround in SV Picasa template V 1.8?

met vriendelijke groet,
Berend

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do. It sounds like you are trying to add links with long URLs to your SimpleViewer caption text.

As you discovered, Flash 7 only supports text link URLs upto 128 chars length.

There are 2 possible work-arounds:

1) Buy SV-PRO and publish as Flash 8.

2) Use shorter URLs

Felix Turner

It sounds like you are trying to add links with long URLs to your SimpleViewer caption text.

YES I AM !!

There are 2 possible work-arounds:

1) Buy SV-PRO and publish as Flash 8.

2) Use shorter URLs

My comment and questions:

1) I don't have Macromedia Flash Professional 8 !! So, I think it make no sense to buy SV PRO. Next, I can't find anywhere that the text link URL support is different with Flash 8.

If this works with Flash 8 .... why can't you update SV Picassa V1.8 template so that it is published as Flash 8.

2) Yes, I did. This gives me in my actual case about 100 charakters for defining name of Galery and name of Picture. But it is still a problem as you should understand by now.

Of course I'm willing to buy SV Pro if I can use it (without Macromedia Flash Professional 8, which it too expensive for me) in the Picassa template and understand that it will solve my problem (which I do not yet!).

Your further advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

met vriendelijke groet,
Berend

To be honest, I don't see this as a high priority bug. It's quite a small use case, and there is an easy work-around.

I publish SV in the lowest Flasher player version possible, so that it works for the highest number of people.

Felix Turner

I understand that it is not a high priority bug (however more people face the problem), but  :?: I don't see the the easy work-around yet!

I assume you don't mean shortening the URL to be the easy work around.

Please explain how SV Pro will help me with the work around as you suggested before. Thanks in advance. tongue

met vriendelijke groet,
Berend