Topic: error when creating a gallery with wordpress plugin

Hi, Ive recently installed your wordpress plugin, that meets all requirements on my website (permissions, other plugins installed) but when adding a gallery following instructions I got an error like this:

Warning: DOMDocument::load(): I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/web/htdocs/www.dekoronb.com/home/wp-content/uploads/.xml" in /web/htdocs/www.dekoronb.com/home/wp-content/plugins/wp-simpleviewer/wp-simpleviewer.php on line 820 Fatal error: Call to a member function getAttribute() on a non-object in /web/htdocs/www.dekoronb.com/home/wp-content/plugins/wp-simpleviewer/wp-simpleviewer.php on line 825 

I tried uninstalling and deactivating the plugin, removing it from plugins folder on wpcontent folder, set permission for upload folder to 777, but still get this error!

What can I do?
Thanks in advance

Re: error when creating a gallery with wordpress plugin

Are you getting this error when adding a gallery or when viewing a post after adding a gallery?
It looks like the 'gallery_id' is not being stored and/or used for the name of the gallery's XML file.
'wp-content/uploads/.xml' should be something like 'wp-content/uploads/1.xml'.
If shortcode is entered into your post (if you get that far), does it look something like the following or is there no number displayed for the 'gallery_id'?

[simpleviewer gallery_id="1"]

Have a look inside your 'wp-content/uploads/' folder (via FTP). Are there any XML files with numbers for filenames, such as '1.xml'?
At present, I am not sure what could be causing the problem but if you could answer the questions above, it might help me diagnose the problem.
In the meantime, you could double-check the permissions on your 'wp-content/uploads/' folder (and all subfolders) and perhaps try repairing your WordPress database (where the most recent 'gallery_id' is stored).

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team

First thanks so much for reply :-)

The short code indicates:

gallery_id="15"]

that is the same number for xml file:

15.xml in upload folder.

Tried to repair the database with Wp-DBManager but the issue is still there

I forgot to say that this appends when I I view the published page after adding a gallery!

Thank you for providing the additional information.
Please try the following and let me know if it helps.
Open the file 'wp-simpleviewer.php' in a plain text editor and change line 815 from:

$gallery_id = $attr['gallery_id'];

... to:

extract( shortcode_atts( array('gallery_id' => '1'), $attr ) );
Steven Speirs

Hi Steven, I tried to modify the simpleviewer.php file with the line you gave me. Tried to publish again and tried to create a new post with abrand new gallery but i got the same error again:

Warning: DOMDocument::load(): I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/web/htdocs/www.dekoronb.com/home/wp-content/uploads/1.xml" in /web/htdocs/www.dekoronb.com/home/wp-content/plugins/wp-simpleviewer/wp-simpleviewer.php on line 820 Fatal error: Call to a member function getAttribute() on a non-object in /web/htdocs/www.dekoronb.com/home/wp-content/plugins/wp-simpleviewer/wp-simpleviewer.php on line 825

From the information you have provided, the following seems to be true:
(1) When adding a new gallery, the most recent 'gallery_id' is extracted from the database and the plugin inserts the shortcode into the post using a new 'gallery_id' (incrementing the most recent 'gallery_id' by 1).
This suggests that the database (and the ability to read from it and write to it) is OK.
(2) An XML is being written to the 'wp-content/uploads/' folder with the 'gallery_id' in the filename.
This suggests that the permissions on the 'wp-content/uploads/' folder are OK.

However, when attempting to view a gallery on a page, your installation seems incapable of extracting the 'gallery_id' from the shortcode associated with the corresponding post.
My suggestion above was an alternate method of extracting the 'gallery_id'. Both methods fail in your case and neither fail for me.

What version of WordPress are you running? If you are not using the most recent version (v3.3.2), try updating it.
Also, try temporarily deactivating all your other plugins and revert to the default WordPress theme (if you are not already using it), to see if this makes a difference.

Steven Speirs

If this continues to be a problem for you, an alternative to using WP-SimpleViewer to embed a SimpleViewer gallery in a WordPress post would be to:
(1) Create a SimpleViewer gallery with the method of your choice
(2) Upload your entire gallery folder to your web server
(3) Embed the gallery in a post using one of the two methods described here

Steven Speirs

Try re-installing the plugin. I was facing a smiliar problem and i reinstalled and it seemed to be working again.