Topic: SimpleViewer fails to display over 3G

Hi there

This is the third image viewer I've tried - the other two claimed to be compatible with all desktop and mobile browsers, but weren't. This time I tested SimpleViewer thoroughly before sending out the URL. I was impressed with the functionality on my iPhone (over WIFI) when I tested it.

So you can imagine I was a bit miffed when the first two replies from mobile users (iPhone and iPad) said the couldn't see the page.

I note that other people have had this problem whereby the browser detect fails due to 3G modification.

So far I've tested it on T-mobile/Orange and O2 - neither work.

Is there a solution?

Thanks

Rich

Re: SimpleViewer fails to display over 3G

SimpleViewer uses JavaScript and jQuery which is broken by 3G content modification.
This forum thread my shed a little more light on the subject.
Here is the jQuery bug ticket relating to this issue. There is a possible solution listed in the most recent entry referencing these two web pages:
http://stuartroebuck.blogspot.co.uk/201 … -data.html
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3282 … under-wifi

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi Steven

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I tried including the following line in my HTML header:
<meta http-equiv="Cache-Control" content="no-transform">

However, it doesn't appear to work.

I also tested your online demo version on my iPhone (O2), which also doesn't work either.

I read the JQuery bug ticket which you mentioned. I notice that it was posted 14 months ago and it's status is "won't fix" and the ticket is closed.

Am I correct in concluding that the SimpleViewer will not work with at least 48% (market share of O2, T-mobile/Orange in the UK) of mobile devices?

Thanks again for your help

Rich

Am I correct in concluding that the SimpleViewer will not work with at least 48% (market share of O2, T-mobile/Orange in the UK) of mobile devices?

As I am sure you understand, it is not so much the devices themselves as the method of delivery of the web pages.
And it is not just SimpleViewer that is affected but many other web pages out there which use JavaScript and, in particular, jQuery.

Steven Speirs

I have just purchased SV after considerable research into the right product to use. I am redeveloping my photography website to remove flash and make it more user friendly for mobile platforms. Ive gone to great lengths over this, and decided on using a well know product utilizing responsive templates to build the main site, and SV for the galleries because of the compatibility with mobile. After playing with one gallery I looked on here fr some tips and came across this thread.....so now Im shocked to find that SV will work as I wanted on mobile, but not on 3G!

I appreciate that whilst it may be the carriers that are causing the problem, there is no information regarding this potential deal breaker on the SV site. There should be a disclaimer pointing this out so that purchasers can be better informed. We should be aware before making a purchase so that options not using jquery, or whatever it is that breaks the content, can be considered.

There seems to be some potential fixes, which again SV should at the least be including in documentation, not just merely pointing towards with links in a forum. This seems to me to be a major problem, given that content will not be displayed if a mobile browser is using 3g, and there will be a large percentage of people who have unlimited data and use 3g constantly.

Rant over, could anyone explain how these fixes should be implemented, in a way a child could understand? I have no knowledge of css, html etc and although Ive read the links to fixes they have totally lost me. Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Opps... look what I've started.

Steven, I just read Philn67's comments and I realise that it must be disheartening to read our criticism of what is otherwise a very good package.

I think both Philn67's frustration and mine is born out of the fact that we both did lots of research and found SV to be one of the best viewers available. Which is a great compliment - it really is very impressive.

If it's just the browser detect that is failing, could you introduce a workaround for affected 3G users to manually select the JQuery version? In the same way that HTML emails have a fall back message of "Can't see this email? Click here to view online".

Alternatively, is there a way that Philn67 and I can create a link specifically for 3G users which passes a variable to SV which would make it serve up the mobile version?

Keep up the good work.

Rich

Last edited by RichieRoo (2012-06-06 08:52:48)

Steven, I just read Philn67's comments and I realise that it must be disheartening to read our criticism of what is otherwise a very good package.

Not at all. I understand your concerns and have contacted the developers about this issue. It would be great if SimpleViewer could work across all 3G networks.

If it's just the browser detect that is failing, could you introduce a workaround for affected 3G users to manually select the JQuery version?

Hopefully the developers will come up with a solution but I do not know at this juncture whether or not it is possible.

Alternatively, is there a way that Philn67 and I can create a link specifically for 3G users which passes a variable to SV which would make it serve up the mobile version?

You could pass a variable in the query string of a URL to force SimpleViewer to display the gallery using the Mobile Player but this would not help. It is not just the browser detect that is failing. Both the Flash Player and Mobile Player currently rely on the 'simpleviewer.js' file to function and I suspect it is this file that is affected by content modification and causing the problem.

Steven Speirs

Couldn't agree more with Richieroo....whilst Im not bashing SV as a product, I just feel that there is a pretty major issue that should be brought to a users attention for the sake of transparency, and there seems to be workarounds which could be made available?

Ive been aware of SV for years after using JAlbum and various skins, but always found limitations with them. I didn't use SV previously because I thought it was flash only. SV is a superb package for creating galleries and Im going to be swapping mine over to this (about 8 in total). Im really impressed with the way it works on mobile devices. I hope Steven can take the comments on board not as criticism and help out with a solution?

@Philn67

Looks like we posted at the same time.

I hope Steven can take the comments on board not as criticism and help out with a solution?

Absolutely. As I mentioned above, it would be great if SimpleViewer could work across all 3G networks and I am grateful that you took the time to report the issue.
Unfortunately, I do not currently have a solution to the problem (and I am not sure there is one) but I have alerted the developers and, if anything can be done, the issue is in the right hands.

Steven Speirs

@Steven
Not understanding the full implications of this its more than likely my suggestion for including a fix may be jumping the gun, and apologies if so. In your earlier post above there are a couple of links for possible work arounds, isn't there a way that these could be used, in a way that could be implemented by a css rookie like me?
Im on o2, is there any merit in me contacting them and asking for a solution? Its them after all causing the problem from what I understand.
Im wondering if there is a way a message can be served "Alert from **domainname**please connect to wifi to view content"?

In your earlier post above there are a couple of links for possible work arounds, isn't there a way that these could be used, in a way that could be implemented by a css rookie like me?

Unfortunately, RichieRoo tried the most promising of possible solutions and it did not seem to work:

I tried including the following line in my HTML header:
<meta http-equiv="Cache-Control" content="no-transform">

However, it doesn't appear to work.

Im on o2, is there any merit in me contacting them and asking for a solution?

The only real solution that they could implement would be to turn off content modification and I think it is more than unlikely that they would do so from the request of a customer. With content modification present, it is currently up to the authors of every web site which is broken by content modification to find a workaround, which looks to be a challenge with complex JavaScript involved.

Steven Speirs

Thanks for the feedback. We are aware of this issue and are investigating possible solutions.

A couple of things to note:

1) 'Content Modification' by Mobile networks not only breaks SimpleViewer, it breaks many websites that uses JavaScript. This is a big issue that is outside of our control.

2) Viewing hi-res images over a 3G connection is never going to be ideal even if we do solve this issue. Most people are going to wait to be on a wifi connection before browsing an image gallery.

Felix Turner

Hi chaps

I've noticed that a number of people recommend using Google CDN to get around the 3G modification issue (like this).

I won't pretend to understand what they're talking about, but does this mean that you guys could upload the generic SimpleView JQuery files to Google CDN, then we could change the location of the JQuery reference of the in the HTML (a bit like this)?

Just a thought

Rich

Last edited by RichieRoo (2012-07-11 11:19:45)

Thank you for pointing this out. I will pass it on to the developers.

Steven Speirs

Added FAQ item here: http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewe … trouble_15

Felix Turner

Any further developments on this yet? I find most of my visitors are using mobile devices and when I upload a client gallery they want the ability to view over a mobile, so I am finding that simple viewer as a tool to build galleries is pretty much the best out there but hampered in a huge way, its so big an issue that I feel I would tell people to avoid it totally. There are plenty of other options out there, which don't have this issue.

No. Unfortunately, there are no further developments on this issue.
All I can suggest at the moment is that users contact their own 3G providers to see if it is possible (and if so, how) to turn off content modification on their accounts.

Steven Speirs

Hi Steven
I've only just discovered this problem and like the contributors above, I researched and decided on SimpleViewer 2 Pro for my Photographic website.

I had done all the testing over wi-fi and only discovered this problem by chance.

It is a major problem as potential clients will simply navigate away to another site if they don't see the galleries.

I too love your product and the ease of setup etc. having previously used the basic version. I really don't want to have to look elsewhere but there are lots of people who will be surfing on 3G and expect the content to appear.

Any workaround would be welcome.
Thanks
Adrian

@adrianturpin

For your own website's galleries, try creating an .htaccess file containing the following code (or if you have an existing .htaccess file, add the code to the file) and upload it to your website's root directory. Several users have had success with this method. (Please note that this requires an Apache server.)

<IfModule mod_headers.c>
Header set Cache-Control "no-transform"
</IfModule>
Steven Speirs

Thanks Steven, I'll give that a go as soon as I'm back in the office and I'll let you know what happens. I'm also going to attempt to contact O2.

Hi Steven

Okay, its getting a bit complicated. I've contacted NamesCo who do my hosting and this is their reply:

Unfortunately, mod_rewrite is not available on our hosting packages as this is a module for Apache servers and we run Zeus. We do however, offer an alternative, more powerful rewrite facility on all of our Linux hosting packages.

The Zeus Rewrite functionality works in a similar way but has a slightly different syntax. Simply create a file called 'rewrite.script' in your web directory and enter your rewrite rules.

The full Zeus Web Server documentation (including Zeus rewrites) can be downloaded from here:
- http://support.zeus.com/zws/media/docs/ … rGuide.pdf

We also have a few example rewrite scripts which you can find located in the Knowledge Base section of your online control panel, as well as that a quick Internet search should also find you some example Zeus scripts for rewriting URLs in common CMS systems such as Drupal and Wordpress. Although please keep in mind that we cannot convert your scripts for you or write new ones on your behalf.

Further information on how to use Zeus Rewrite on our platform is available on our Knowledge base:
- http://www.names.co.uk/knowledge/search … us+rewrite

I do have an .htaccess file already (although it is hidden and you use a little program provided by them to change it) and that is set to re-direct error 404 codes.

This is all getting a bit beyond my level so will need help to get any further.

Cheers,
Adrian

Unfortunately, I do not know if there is an equivalent to:

<IfModule mod_headers.c>
Header set Cache-Control "no-transform"
</IfModule>

... for Zeus. Perhaps the best place to ask would be the Zeus support forums.

Steven Speirs

Hi Steven

Just to keep you up to date.

I wrote to O2 and subsequently had a lengthy chat with someone in their complaints department. He promised to investigate and did get back to me a week or so later. He said he had spoken to the technical boffins and basically there is nothing that they can (read 'are willing') to do. Apparently their responsibility stops at the full functionality of their own website. I pointed out that this is affecting thousands and thousands of businesses and websites and that many people will be unaware, as I was for quite some time. He did however say that the 4G network, when it becomes widely available and in use, will not cause these kind of problems.

Not much help and doesn't solve our problem at the present time. Are your developers still looking at possible solutions / workarounds?

Cheers
Adrian

As far as I am aware, the developers have not closed this issue, but it looks like a simple and universal solution may not be possible.
If 3G providers are unable or unwilling to allow their users to turn content modification off on their accounts (which would allow the users to successfully view all SimpleViewer galleries on the internet), then the burden lies with the author of each SimpleViewer gallery to ensure that the 'simpleviewer.js' file is not affected by content modification. Currently, the only way that I know of that this can be achieved is to host the gallery on an Apache server and use the code I posted above in an .htaccess file. In doing so, a 3G user will still be unable to view the majority of SimpleViewer galleries on the internet but will be sure that his or her own SimpleViewer gallery will be viewable by everyone.

Steven Speirs