Topic: create simpleviewer galleries based on existing dir structure?

Hi,

I currently have an online photo gallery is using Zen but I'm not too happy with it and I'm thinking of using S.V.pro instead.
The file structure currently used is fairly simple as each album as its own directory where the photos are stored.

Now, the question is, is it possible for S.V. to make use of the current directory structure so that I can get the S.V. photo gallery up running in min time?

Thanks.

Re: create simpleviewer galleries based on existing dir structure?

When you create a new SimpleViewer-Pro gallery with svBuilder-Pro, the gallery will be self-contained in a folder with the following contents:
images (folder - main images)
thumbs (folder - thumbnails)
svcore (folder - SimpleViewer core files)
index.html (file - HTML page into which gallery is embedded)
gallery.xml (file - XML file containing configuration options and listing images to be displayed).

If you create a gallery manually (or edit a gallery after creation), you can modify the imageURLs and thumbURLs within the 'gallery.xml' file to point to main images and thumbnails anywhere on your web server.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

thanks for the feedback Steven.
from the svBuilder-Pro guide, I see that the image source can be selected from 2 options: local or Flicker.
what about if all my images are on a webserver (not sure if Adobe Air is supported to launch that program from the server directly)?

Or do I have to do all the gallery setup locally first before uploading it to the webserver?

tx

Last edited by fduff (2012-06-29 21:19:35)

You could manually create a 'gallery.xml' file to point to the images on your webserver, typing the paths to your images for the imageURL and thumbURL attributes.
A sample <image> entry for the XML file would look something like this:

<image imageURL="http://www.example.com/gallery/images/image1.jpg" thumbURL="http://www.example.com/gallery/thumbs/thumb1.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="">
    <caption>Caption Text Goes Here</caption>
</image>

Otherwise you could use PHP to create a dynamic XML file on-the-fly to display all images in a certain directory by following the instructions in this post.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.