Topic: can you setup it by a folder?

Hey people

Is there a way you can setup this to a folder. eg i want a gallery for a client. then all the client has to do is upload a photo to a folder and it will be in the gallery?

please help
thanks

Re: can you setup it by a folder?

Yes. There are two things you can do:

(1) Use a Flickr account as the source of images for the gallery.
When a new image is uploaded to the Flickr account, it will automatically be included in the gallery.
The Flickr options available to SimpleViewer-Standard can be found on this page.
You can create a Flickr-sourced gallery using svBuilder (which comes with SimpleViewer-Standard).
The 'svBuilder User Guide' can be found here.

... or:

(2) Use PHP to dynamically generate an XML file on-the-fly which would list all images in a certain folder.
Please see this forum post for details.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Steven Speirs wrote:

Yes. There are two things you can do:

(1) Use a Flickr account as the source of images for the gallery.
When a new image is uploaded to the Flickr account, it will automatically be included in the gallery.
The Flickr options available to SimpleViewer-Standard can be found on this page.
You can create a Flickr-sourced gallery using svBuilder (which comes with SimpleViewer-Standard).
The 'svBuilder User Guide' can be found here.

... or:

(2) Use PHP to dynamically generate an XML file on-the-fly which would list all images in a certain folder.
Please see this forum post for details.

Thanks for that. One more little question is there any way in the free one you can make the big photo be there when the page loads? eg you if go here

http://kookaburracreekretreat2.business … llery.html

you will see some thumb pictures but you have to click on them to get the big picture. any way it just starts with big picture.

Your gallery has been forced to be displayed by the Mobile Player due to the useFlash Embed Code Parameter in your gallery's embedding code being set to false: the 'false' at the end of this line of code in your web page:

simpleviewer.load("sv-container", "100%", "100%", "transparent", false);

If this was intentional, then you can have your gallery start with the first main image (rather than the grid of thumbnails) by setting firstImageIndex="0" in your gallery's XML file.
Otherwise, you could change the false to true and the gallery would be displayed by the Flash Player (if Adobe Flash Player was available in the user's browser) displaying both the thumbnails and the main image together. (If Adobe Flash Player was not available in the user's browser, such as on mobile devices, the gallery would fall back to being displayed by the Mobile Player which is currently being used in both scenarios.)
If creating your gallery with svBuilder, the 'Use Flash' parameter can be changed via the checkbox on the 'Customize' tab.

Steven Speirs

Steven Speirs wrote:

Your gallery has been forced to be displayed by the Mobile Player due to the useFlash Embed Code Parameter in your gallery's embedding code being set to false: the 'false' at the end of this line of code in your web page:

simpleviewer.load("sv-container", "100%", "100%", "transparent", false);

If this was intentional, then you can have your gallery start with the first main image (rather than the grid of thumbnails) by setting firstImageIndex="0" in your gallery's XML file.
Otherwise, you could change the false to true and the gallery would be displayed by the Flash Player (if Adobe Flash Player was available in the user's browser) displaying both the thumbnails and the main image together. (If Adobe Flash Player was not available in the user's browser, such as on mobile devices, the gallery would fall back to being displayed by the Mobile Player which is currently being used in both scenarios.)
If creating your gallery with svBuilder, the 'Use Flash' parameter can be changed via the checkbox on the 'Customize' tab.

Thanks but i dint work sad. i left it as false. and when into the xml file. and it dint have anything about firstImageIndex="0". so you must of ment to insert it so it did.

this is what my xml file looks like

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<simpleviewergallery 

useFlickr="true"
    flickrUserName="argo063"
    thumbPosition="BOTTOM"
    thumbRows="1"
    thumbColumns="6"
    showOpenButton="true"
    showFullscreenButton="true"
    useFlash="false"
    backgroundTransparent="true"
    title=""
    frameWidth="10"/>
    firstImageIndex="0"

You need to add all options before the closing /> tag so use:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<simpleviewergallery 

useFlickr="true"
    flickrUserName="argo063"
    thumbPosition="BOTTOM"
    thumbRows="1"
    thumbColumns="6"
    showOpenButton="true"
    showFullscreenButton="true"
    useFlash="false"
    backgroundTransparent="true"
    title=""
    frameWidth="10"
    firstImageIndex="0"

/>

Also, you may need to clear your browser's cache after making the change before reloading the gallery to ensure that the gallery does not use the old version of the XML file (which it may otherwise be hanging onto).

Steven Speirs

How did I miss that haha. Thanks big_smile.

Hey one more small question.
on this page on of my clients website.
http://www.lottiesskirts.com.au/gallery2

you will see a gallery. But the height of the gallery does not look correct eg it cropping some of the images off. how do i fix this. ?

Hey
another thing. how do we change the order for flickr photos. I tried changing the order in flickr but that dint work.
What order does it go to?

But the height of the gallery does not look correct eg it cropping some of the images off. how do i fix this. ?

It looks like some of the CSS in your '/StyleSheets/ModuleStyleSheets.css' is conflicting with the CSS of the gallery.
Some of the CSS in your stylesheet looks to be very generalized. For example, there is CSS that will be applied to every image on your page (including those being displayed by the gallery).
Try removing the following code from the top of the file:

img, a img { border:0; } /* nobody likes default border around images */

.clear { display: inline-block; }   
.clear:after { content: "."; display: block; height: 0;   clear: both; visibility: hidden; }
* html .clear { height: 1%; }
.clear { display: block; }

An alternative (to isolate the gallery and avoid any CSS conflicts) would be to embed your gallery into your web page using an <iframe>. Replace your current embedding code with the following:
<iframe src="/test/index.html" width="940" height="500" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
This method of embedding is documented as Option #2 here, the only drawback being that the Fullscreen Button will be disabled.

Also, you could validate the code of your web page with the W3C Markup Validation Service and fix the errors that are reported. Once your code validates, your web page will be rendered with greater predictability and consistency across different browsers.

how do we change the order for flickr photos. I tried changing the order in flickr but that dint work.

The available flickrSort options can be found in the Flickr Options section of the 'SimpleViewer-Pro Config Options' page. Possible values are: DATE-POSTED-DESC, DATE-POSTED-ASC, DATE-TAKEN-ASC, DATE-TAKEN-DESC, INTERESTINGNESS-DESC ,INTERESTINGNESS-ASC and RELEVANCE.

The following two FAQs may also be of use to you:
How do I change the order of images from Flickr?
How do I change the order of images in a Flickr Photo Set?

Bear in mind that after making any changes within your Flickr account, you may need to wait a while before the changes propagate through their system and show up in API searches such as that performed by SimpleViewer-Pro to fetch the images from Flickr's servers.

Steven Speirs

Oh ok. I will try some things. I know how to code by hand but it takes time. I'm a designer . Like just to drag things over haha. At the moment use adobe muse with bc. Meaning I can add custom code. What program do you like most?

What program do you like most?

Notepad++  wink

Steven Speirs

what does Interestingness sort mean?
as well Relevance ?

Thanks

These are terms dreamt up by Flickr rather than ourselves.
Here is a Flickr page explaining interestingness.
I have not yet been able to find a page explaining the criteria by which Flickr determine the 'relevancy' of an image but perhaps a search through Flickr's help section will uncover something.

Steven Speirs

one more question again. My slideshows doest work in internet explorer 8 and bellow. any way you can make them work?

Your web page here: http://www.lottiesskirts.com.au/gallery2
... generates errors when I view it in Internet Explorer 9 on my PC.

The first error I came across was:

Internet Explorer blocked this website from displaying content with security certificate errors.

This is due to the use of this line in your code:

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-latest.min.js"></script>

Instead, use this:

<script src="http://code.jquery.com/jquery-latest.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

Note the use of http:// rather than https://

Also, the above line should be placed in your <head> section before referencing any other files that rely on jQuery.

You should also fix the HTML errors on your page.
You can check your page's code with the W3C Markup Validation Service.
Once you have fixed the errors reported and your page validates, your web page should be displayed with greater consistency across different browsers.

Steven Speirs

Oh ok. not using that page hehe.
i look though this page and could not see any of those errors. Can you please have a look and see why it not working.
here the url: http://www.kookaburracreekretreat.com.au/gallery.html

That gallery displays OK in Internet Explorer 8 within IETester on my PC.
Please explain what the problem seems to be (i.e. what you see and what you expect to see). For example, is an error message displayed on-screen? If so, what does it say?
If possible, please upload a screenshot somewhere so that I can see you you see. Thank you.

Steven Speirs

Steven Speirs wrote:

That gallery displays OK in Internet Explorer 8 within IETester on my PC.
Please explain what the problem seems to be (i.e. what you see and what you expect to see). For example, is an error message displayed on-screen? If so, what does it say?
If possible, please upload a screenshot somewhere so that I can see you you see. Thank you.

Hey here a screen shot. dont worry about the black square. i had to take a screen shot of a friends computer over skype haha.
As you can see it just shows a think line with the top of the pictures. so it sort of works. haha.

here the picture url: http://kookaburracreekretreat.com.au/Sc … hot%20.png

thanks

This can probably be fixed by either:
(1) Checking the CSS of all your gallery's parent containers and making sure that each has been specified a height
... or:
(2) Changing the height of your gallery from 100% to an absolute pixel value, such as 800px.
e.g. change:

simpleviewer.load("sv-container", "100%", "100%", "222222", true, flashvars);

... to:

simpleviewer.load("sv-container", "100%", "800", "222222", true, flashvars);
Steven Speirs

Thanks for that. Just tryed the second one and it worked smile. But had to make it 700 because photo went out of shape.

Hey I got the svBuilder-pro. Is there any way i can get it to only show thumb pictures with flash?

As well is there a way to get bigger thumb pictures

Is there any way i can get it to only show thumb pictures with flash?

No. With the Flash Player, you can hide the thumbnails and display only the main images (by settings thumbPosition="NONE") but is it not possible to hide the main images and display only the thumbnails.

As well is there a way to get bigger thumb pictures

Yes. You can set the dimensions for the thumbnails by using the thumbWidth and thumbHeight Pro Options.
If using svBuilder-Pro to create or edit your gallery, you can change the thumbnail dimensions by clicking the 'Change...' button in the 'Image Size' control panel on the 'Images' tab.
In doing so, svBuilder-Pro will generate thumbnails at the requested dimensions and will also set the thumbWidth and thumbHeight Pro Options accordingly in your gallery's XML file.

For reference, descriptions of all the 'Thumbnails' options can be found here.

Steven Speirs

Is there any other software like this that use flickr with only thumb pictures ?