Topic: Using Simple Viewer

Hello

Although the name suggests otherwise, I've found it difficult to get galleries sorted with Simple Viewer v2.3.0, particularly through Flickr (which was one of my main reasons for buying this product)

I've managed to create one photo gallery, but when trying to generate others using different tags I have had no success. I'd like to embed alternate galleries on different pages of my site, but it appears that the embed code doesn't actually change from gallery to gallery. Since there is no guide on how to compile and embed a gallery on to a web page I thought this would be a logical process, but has instead proved to be frustrating as I continue to fail at finding a solution.

Is there something I'm missing or can the embed code be altered? I'd rather have a definitive solution to this issue with Flickr since as I mentioned, integration with Flickr was one of my key reasons behind purchasing Simple Viewer.

Thanks

Leaon

Re: Using Simple Viewer

Since there is no guide on how to compile and embed a gallery on to a web page I thought this would be a logical process, but has instead proved to be frustrating as I continue to fail at finding a solution.

The SimpleViewer Embedding Guide can be found here.

I'd like to embed alternate galleries on different pages of my site, but it appears that the embed code doesn't actually change from gallery to gallery.

Each gallery has its own XML file which holds a list of images (or not, in the case of a Flickr-sourced gallery) and unique configuration options for that particular gallery. As long as the XML file is named 'gallery.xml' and is located in the same folder as the HTML document into which the gallery is embedded, the embedding code can be the same for each gallery.

If you have several galleries all in the same folder where duplicate file names may come into play, you can point a gallery towards a specific XML file by using the galleryURL option.

For example, you could have two web pages (named 'index1.html' and 'index2.html') in the same folder, along with two XML files (named 'gallery1.xml' and 'gallery2.xml').

The embedding code for the first gallery on the 'index1.html' page might look like:

<!--START SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED.-->
<script type="text/javascript" src="svcore/js/simpleviewer.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
var flashvars = {};
flashvars.galleryURL = "gallery1.xml";
simpleviewer.ready(function () {
simpleviewer.load("sv-container", "100%", "100%", "222222", true, flashvars);
});
</script>
<div id="sv-container"></div>
<!-- END SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED -->

... and the embedding code for the second gallery on the 'index2.html' page might look like:

<!--START SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED.-->
<script type="text/javascript" src="svcore/js/simpleviewer.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
var flashvars = {};
flashvars.galleryURL = "gallery2.xml";
simpleviewer.ready(function () {
simpleviewer.load("sv-container", "100%", "100%", "222222", true, flashvars);
});
</script>
<div id="sv-container"></div>
<!-- END SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED -->

In each case you would need to make sure that the path to the 'svcore' folder is correct. (Both galleries can share an 'svcore' folder if you like.)

The 'gallery1.xml' file might look like:

<simpleviewergallery useFlickr="TRUE" flickrUserName="your_user_name" flickrTags="business" />

... and the 'gallery2.xml' file might look like:

<simpleviewergallery useFlickr="TRUE" flickrUserName="your_user_name" flickrTags="pleasure" />
Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thank you for the prompt response Steven.

The help guides are not the easiest to navigate so it's good to have a link to this, especially due to my rather amateur web designer status. I'll consult the support section in more detail to find solutions.

I did wonder one thing: Is there any way to define the order in which pictures show in a gallery apart  from the ones provided? The arrange by taken option doesn't work properly, arrange by posted would only be useful to me if photos were uploaded to Flickr in order (which according to the gallery sorting they're not) and the arrange by interestingness and random options aren't much use to me. By any chance do you know of any guide on sorting this within the support section?

Thanks

Leaon

Is there any way to define the order in which pictures show in a gallery apart  from the ones provided?

The available flickrSort options can be found in the Flickr Options section of the 'SimpleViewer-Pro Config Options' page. Possible values are: DATE-POSTED-DESC, DATE-POSTED-ASC, DATE-TAKEN-ASC, DATE-TAKEN-DESC, INTERESTINGNESS-DESC ,INTERESTINGNESS-ASC and RELEVANCE.

The following two FAQs may also be of use to you:
How do I change the order of images from Flickr?
How do I change the order of images in a Flickr Photo Set?

Bear in mind that after making any changes within your Flickr account, you may need to wait a while before the changes propagate through their system and show up in API searches such as that performed by SimpleViewer-Pro to fetch the images from Flickr's servers.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.