Topic: Gallery Creates "Opacity Overlay" on all other HTML in Page

I've been trying to get a gallery to display on a single page of a portfolio site and I've got the gallery showing up where I want it to now, but on some browser desktop combinations, there what seems to be an "overlay" that appears to "dim" the rest of the content on the page, in this case all text.

http://bit.ly/MujGZb

I'm looking at this currently with a Mac running 10.5.8 in Firefox, Safari, and Chrome, all of which are displaying the same behavior. Is there something I've done incorrectly with the embed that is causing this effect? The gallery is positioned in Z space and does overlap some of the other HTML content, but I can't figure out why it displays clearly on some monitors and with this dimming effect on others...

Re: Gallery Creates "Opacity Overlay" on all other HTML in Page

It could be a color-shift you are describing, in which case this FAQ may help:
My gallery displays a color shift. How do I fix this?
This quick way to manually implement the advice given in the FAQ in an existing gallery is to set the useColorCorrection Embed Code Parameter to 'false' in your gallery's embedding code. Change your simpleviewer.load() line from:

simpleviewer.load("sv-container", "100%", "100%", "transparent", true);

... to:

simpleviewer.load("sv-container", "100%", "100%", "transparent", true, null, null, null, false);
Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hrmm... I tried that change and checked the FAQ again, but the color shift is not happening on the images themselves, but rather the background buttons / menu items / text. It almost looks like a "lightbox" style neutral grey overlay at a very low opacity is displayed over all the other page items when the gallery loads. I don't see a way for me to send you a screen shot so I posted the shot on this link:

http://bit.ly/NNPkuO

Thank you for the screen shot. This is not caused by the Adobe Flash Player color shift issue.
Embedding a gallery in a page should not affect other elements on the web page.
It seems to affect all the text on your web page and even though your gallery has a transparent background, the gallery does not overlap all the text on your page.
Try temporarily taking the gallery out of the page entirely (i.e. remove the loading of the 'simpleviewer.js' file and the embedding code) and view the page in the computer/monitor combination which displays the problem.
This should at least determine whether the problem is gallery-related or is caused by something else (such as code elsewhere on your web page).

Steven Speirs

I pulled the embed code and the simpleviewer.js file and the effect still remained on the page. See screenshot below

http://bit.ly/OFOfcg

Does this mean the gallery is not affecting the page load in this particular browser/hardware combination? How would you suggest further debugging this situation? Thanks again for the help on this. Really looking forward to having the gallery working...

Does this mean the gallery is not affecting the page load in this particular browser/hardware combination?

Yes. If the phenomenon still occurs without the gallery in the page, then this has nothing to do with the gallery.
At least we have eliminated one element from the equation.
I suspect there may be something in your CSS which may be causing this.
Debugging might have to be trial and error, though. Remove the CSS from your 'main.css' page little by little and check to see what your page's text looks like each time you remove a section.
Eventually, you should come to a point where the text looks OK, in which case the last section of CSS you removed was responsible.

Steven Speirs