Topic: Trying to use simpleviewer on Webs.com

Hello,
I am somewhat new to coding and webpage making, so I only have a very basic knowledge of HTML and CSS. I have kinda bitten off more than I can chew-- I am trying to add a simpleviewer gallery to my families farm website (www.northernmysteryalpacas.com) with the hopes of one day having a separate gallery on each animals personal page, so that I don't have to link to photobucket as an image gallery anymore (as can be seen here: www.northernmysteryalpacas.com/prudence.htm under his picture, is the link saying "click for more photos")

However, I am very, very confused as to how to actually achieve this. Could someone perhaps explain to me how I would go about adding a simpleviewer gallery to a webs.com page? I have gone through the troubleshooting and support pages here, have done my best to follow the steps, however I don't know how to actually add the coding into the HTML of the page, let alone how to embed it. I've never created or worked on code for a website beyond making the odd table on an editable page, or changing the odd value to make things fit better, so I really, really am lost here. hmm

I am currently editing our site via the webs sitebuilder 2.0 (not sitebuilder 3).

Any help would be greatly appreciated-- I have been trying for months to find some sort of image viewer/gallery that I can add into our site, as I really hate having to link offsite to photobucket on each animals page, when I see all these amazing image galleries on other peoples pages that are right there.

Thank you very much for any consideration or time you may give,
-Paint

Re: Trying to use simpleviewer on Webs.com

In order to embed a SimpleViewer gallery into a web page, you need to do two things:
(1) Upload the gallery folder to a web server
(2) Insert HTML embedding code into the web page

webs.com is not a regular web server which gives you web space and access via FTP to upload files and folders.
However, you may have FTP access to your webs.com account. Please see this webs.com FAQ for details:
FAQ. Using FTP to upload your site - Read this first!

If you do not have FTP access to your webs.com account, then you will need to find an alternative host for your gallery.
A suitable host would be Dropbox.

To upload your gallery folder to Dropbox:
(1) Download and install the Dropbox client program (from the link above)
(2) Run the install program and sign up for a free Dropbox account
(3) Create your SimpleViewer gallery with the method of your choice
(4) Drag and drop the entire gallery folder into the 'Public' folder within the newly created Dropbox folder on your computer
(5) Navigate towards your gallery's 'index.html' file (within 'username/Dropbox/Public/gallery_folder/'), right-click it and select 'Dropbox -> Copy public link'

Now that your gallery folder has been uploaded to a web server, the next stage is to insert the HTML embedding code into your web page.
If your gallery is hosted with webs.com, you can use one of the two methods documented here.
If using Dropbox, then you must use the <iframe> method, making sure that the 'src' attribute of the <iframe> points towards the gallery's 'index.html' file (the URL you copied in Step #5 above).
In order to insert HTML code into your webs.com page, please see this webs.com FAQ:
FAQ- How to Insert HTML

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thank you very much for replying-- I have to say, it is very refreshing to come to a website that actually has people reply to posts in the forums!

Thank you very much for all the help-- though, I do have one last question. So far, I have been able to follow all of your steps, but am currently stuck on 3 and 5. For 3, is there any way for me to create multiple galleries? I tried, but it keeps overwriting my currently made ones.

And for 5, I tried to do this with a "test" gallery, but when I right click, I am not getting the "Dropbox -> Copy public link" option. Could this be because I am running this on a Mac?

Again, thank you very much for all the help! It is very greatly appreciated. smile Thank you.
-Paint

For 3, is there any way for me to create multiple galleries? I tried, but it keeps overwriting my currently made ones.

Yes. Save each gallery in a different folder.
If using svBuilder to create your galleries, either:
(1) Create an empty folder (perhaps on your desktop) before creating your gallery with svBuilder and then 'Browse...' towards this folder on the 'Publish' tab, or...
(2) Click on the 'Browse...' button on the 'Publish tab' and click the 'Make New Folder' button to create a new folder to save your gallery in.

And for 5, I tried to do this with a "test" gallery, but when I right click, I am not getting the "Dropbox -> Copy public link" option. Could this be because I am running this on a Mac?

Perhaps this Dropbox forum thread will help as it seems to describe the problem you are experiencing ('Copy public link' missing on Mac).

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Oh, I could just hug you right now, I am so pleased. Everything you linked to and suggested has worked perfectly-- I finally have a nice way to display our animals images, and our site now looks like everything it links to actually belongs!

Thank you so, so so much for all your help and advice! I (and my family) all greatly appreciate the help you have given here. Thank you.  big_smile  big_smile