Topic: Image Quality

There was an issue with image quality now fixed in 2.3.0?

If your images are resized to 1024x768 which generally will fit most monitors without scaling, Image Smoothing (default enabled) is moot?

Does Smoothing only effect how dynamic resized images are Rendered to the browser and do not effect the quality of the image file?

Is there any further control of JPG smoothing or quality? (Using Thumbs Plus, it appears images are compressed 2:1 with an 80 Quality factor.)

Are there any other factors which impact image quality that one can control?
(I am most interested in quality versus size/loading speed.)

Thanks,

Re: Image Quality

There was an issue with image quality now fixed in 2.3.0?

Thumbnails looked oversharpened when generated by svBuilder-Pro v2.2.0. This was fixed in svBuilder-Pro v2.3.0.

If your images are resized to 1024x768 which generally will fit most monitors without scaling, Image Smoothing (default enabled) is moot?

Try creating two galleries, identical to each other in all respects apart from the imageSmoothing option.
Switch it on in one gallery and off in the other (in the 'Customize -> Main Image' section).
Open both galleries in two browser tabs and flip between the two. You should be able to see a difference between the two.
However, which you prefer is likely to be a personal preference. I, myself, prefer to have imageSmoothing switched on (the default value) but switching it off may better suit your own images.

Does Smoothing only effect how dynamic resized images are Rendered to the browser and do not effect the quality of the image file?

Yes. imageSmoothing has no effect on the actual resizing of the original images by svBuilder-Pro. The effect is carried out dynamically as the gallery is being displayed by the Flash Player.

Is there any further control of JPG smoothing or quality? (Using Thumbs Plus, it appears images are compressed 2:1 with an 80 Quality factor.)

By clicking the 'Change...' button in the 'Image Size' panel on the 'Images' tab, you have the option to change the quality of both the images and thumbnails. The default quality of the images is 80. This is a good compromise between image quality and file size but you may wish to experiment with other values.

Are there any other factors which impact image quality that one can control?

When allowing svBuilder-Pro to resize your original images, you can set only the dimensions and quality via the interface.
If you wish, you can create your own images in an image manipulation program such as Photoshop and then deselect the 'Resize Images' checkbox in svBuilder-Pro. Your original images will then be copied (rather than resized) to the gallery's 'images' folder.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Re: Image Quality

Steven,

I delayed for having a fresh batch of images to work with.

Agreed, the Quality factor for Image/Thumbnails is a total judgement call versus file size.

This last batch I've upped it to 90 from the default 80 and await to see if anybody notices.

I can tell the delta comparing these side by side, but for a snap-shot slide show, I am
really fortunate anybody looks at all. (Next slide advance button speed trumps all.)

Being an engineer, it's good to know I have a knob to turn:)

Thanks,