Topic: Flickr pictures with privacy level

Hi,

I've checked the doc of SimpleViewer Pro, but didn't find the needed parameter : the possibility to see pictures on Flickr where privacy level is set to something other than Public.
I find it's a pity, caus' there is a Joomla extension where it's working (http://goo.gl/lbXNB ) so it's technically possible.

But when I read the option, I see the parameter flickrExtraParams with a link to the possible parameters...

api_key => the Api Key, a good start
privacy_filter => sounds good...

So, I'm asking if I put

flickrExtraParams = "api_key=xxxxxxxxxxxxx,privacy_filter=4"

should it work ?

Re: Flickr pictures with privacy level

I have just tried this myself and it does not work.
Whether or not it should work, I do not know.
The online Flickr Api Explorer does not have a text field into which your 'api_key' can be entered (though there is a text field for 'privacy_filter') so I cannot test what the API should return using a combination of the 'api_key' and 'privacy_filter' parameters.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

So, it's hopeless to display non public Flickr pictures with SimpleViewer ?

Flickr images must be public to be accessible via the Flickr API.

Felix Turner

Felix wrote:

Flickr images must be public to be accessible via the Flickr API.

Do you mean to be accessible by simpleviewer ?
Cause this Joomla extension : http://goo.gl/lbXNB uses the Flickr API and is able to show images on a website without public status...

So it's not a limitation of the API, is it ?

It is not possible to display private Flickr images using the SimpleViewer-Pro Flickr Options.

It may be possible to achieve with the following method but it would require knowledge of PHP and I cannot guarantee that it would work.
Rather than set useFlickr="TRUE", you could set useFlickr="FALSE" but rather than use a traditional static XML file, you could point SimpleViewer towards a PHP file instead using the galleryURL option.
You might then be able to use phpFlickr to make an authenticated API call to return your privates images in an array.
With the array of images, knowledge of PHP and understanding the structure of a SimpleViewer XML file, you could then build the XML file.

Here is a post I made a while ago regarding using phpFlickr in conjunction with SimpleViewer.
However, it was not used to fetch private images and I still do not know if it is possible.

This web page may also be of use: Flickr API: How to perform Authentication using PHP

Steven Speirs