Topic: Audio Controls

As with most gallery software Simpleviewer appears to be image-driven, I am looking for a website presentation that is audio driven i.e. the image files start when audio starts an reset to start when the audio finishes (rather than the audio ending when the slideshow ends).

Is it possible to do the following:
1. Slideshow start/pause/stop is linked to audio (should be standard).
2. When audio ends the slideshow ends and returns to the starting image (with a short delay to allow any image animation to complete).
3. Loop button -- user chooses to loop audio or not -- rather than being hard-coded.

Regards.

Re: Audio Controls

1. Slideshow start/pause/stop is linked to audio (should be standard).

This is not possible with SimpleViewer-Pro. The SimpleViewer-Pro API has toggleAutoPlay() and toggleAudio() methods but does not have events whereby you could listen for a status change in AutoPlay or Audio in order to synchronise one with the other.

2. When audio ends the slideshow ends and returns to the starting image (with a short delay to allow any image animation to complete).

This, also, is not possible with SimpleViewer-Pro.

3. Loop button -- user chooses to loop audio or not -- rather than being hard-coded.

SimpleViewer-Pro uses the loopAudio configuration option whose value is read and used when the gallery is initially loaded.
You could add a button to your web page which would toggle the value of the loopAudio configuration option using JavaScript and set the value as a FlashVar in your gallery's embedding code but you would need to reload the gallery each time the user clicks the button in order for the new value to take effect.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Do not really need an event listener for the audio play/pause function as it should be possible to bind the user click from one to the other. I do this already on my website with much older code than this -- so it must be possible with jQuery surely.

i.e. User clicks the start/stop/pause button on the slideshow and jQuery binds the click to a 2nd function (in the audio player script).
That is relatively easy.

The problem, as always, is the looping.
This is a requested feature on my website and its seems to me that everyone says its impossible -- when it clearly is not. There are multiple ways to achieve this.
As a someone who is not a programmer it will take me a long time to work out the code to avoid conflicts -- but surely an action can be fired based on stop/end/timeline that navigates the images to slide 1 (this is easy) and starts playing the loaded the audio again.

Are you saying its not possible just with this program? or are you saying it cannot be done -- because for sure it is possible -- but as yet noone out there has actually had the courage/brains/motivation to do it. Yet the market is there!   roll

Here is an example of a slideshow that links with jplayer -- and fires actions according to a timeline that is automatically calculated from the audio file:

http://tympanus.net/Development/AudioSlideshow/

For some reason the developers of this have removed some of the controls from jplayer (volume and mute) along with the loop function. Yet the use of a timeline means looping is a simple callback at T-1 second!

Last edited by poompah (2012-09-27 15:54:15)

Are you saying its not possible just with this program?

When I say it is not possible, I mean it is not possible with SimpleViewer-Pro. I have now edited my posts above to reflect this distinction.

Do not really need an event listener for the audio play/pause function as it should be possible to bind the user click from one to the other. I do this already on my website with much older code than this -- so it must be possible with jQuery surely.

SimpleViewer-Pro is a Flash viewer and without an appropriate API event (or modification of the source code), jQuery or any other JavaScript code would not be able to interact with the AutoPlay and/or Audio buttons which form part of the Flash presentation within the SWF file. Please note that SimpleViewer-Pro does not come with source code as mentioned in this FAQ: Does SimpleViewer-Pro include the Source Code?

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.