Topic: Can I move images, with their captions, from one gallery to another?

I mean, besides opening up the gallery files and moving code.

I kinda doubt it, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!!

Re: Can I move images, with their captions, from one gallery to another?

Usually, images are linked to captions only within their own gallery.
If you were to move an image from Gallery #1 to #Gallery #2, the image's caption will remain in Gallery #1's XML file.

What you might like to do is store your captions as IPTC data embedded within the images themselves.
Then, when you move or copy an image, the caption goes with it.
You can add IPTC captions using image manipulation programs such as Photoshop.

After moving images from one gallery to another, you can quickly repopulate the caption fields in svBuilder by selecting 'Images -> Captions -> Use IPTC Caption' without having to cut and paste code or type the captions in from scratch.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Stephen, thanks so much. That's very helpful.

I'm working with an elderly client who is not very tech savvy. She needs to add captions to a bunch of images. Also, we have reorganized the galleries (hence, my question about moving images).

I am not familiar with IPTC data. Can you recommend a simple program that she can use to add IPTC captions?

Thanks!

You can add IPTC captions to images using Google Picasa which is free and can be downloaded from this web page.
Double click an image to enter the 'Edit Photo' page, click on the grey bar beneath the image which says 'Make a caption!' and type in (or paste) your caption. There is no need to save your image afterwards.
There are many other programs which will allow you to add IPTC captions to images but Picasa may be one of the easiest to use.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.