Topic: WP Simpleviewer

I am preparing a new website on WP, and have installed the sv plugin version 2-3-2. Could you please tell me how I can get my gallery, produced in the svbuilder, to appear on the wordpress site?

Thanks

Re: WP Simpleviewer

If you wish to embed a gallery created by svBuilder into a WordPress post, then there is no need to install the WP-SimpleViewer plugin.
(1) Create a gallery with svBuilder.
(2) Upload the complete gallery folder (not just the contents) to your web server via FTP (using a program such as Filezilla). It does not matter where on your web server you upload it to as long as you know where it is.
(3) Embed the gallery in your web page using one of the two embedding methods documented here. When entering the embedding code into the body of your WordPress post, ensure that the method of entry is 'HTML' rather than 'Visual'.

The WP-SimpleViewer plugin allows you to create, edit and embed SimpleViewer galleries in WordPress posts within the WordPress Dashboard itself (without the need to create a gallery on your computer, upload it to your web server and enter embedding code into a WordPress post).

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

I uploaded the gallery to the wp-admin folder and have tried embedding it into the web page, but just get "gallery xml not found". I don't seem to have a folder svcore.js, just swfobject.js in the upload, so maybe this is the problem?

I uploaded the gallery to the wp-admin folder

Uploading the gallery to your 'wp-admin' folder will not affect the ability to embed the gallery in a post but I would recommend keeping your gallery folders completely separate from your WordPress installation.

and have tried embedding it into the web page, but just get "gallery xml not found".

This usually means that the gallery has been embedded successfully but that the gallery's XML file cannot be found. Please see this FAQ for further details:
When I view my gallery I see the message 'Gallery XML Not Found'. How do I fix this?

I don't seem to have a folder svcore.js, just swfobject.js in the upload, so maybe this is the problem?

This sounds like you may be using an older version of svBuilder prior to the 'svcore' folder being introduced in v2.1.0.
If this is the case, please download and install the latest version of svBuilder. The installation file for svBuilder is inside the SimpleViewer-Standard package which can be downloaded from this web page.
When you create a file with svBuilder v2.3.1, you will find a folder named 'svcore' inside the gallery folder.

Steven Speirs

Thanks Steven - I have installed the more recent version of svbuilder, but do I have to pay again for the pro version?

Upgrades are free within the same major version number so if you have purchased SimpleViewer-Pro v2.x, you are eligible for a free upgrade to the current version (v2.3.1).
Please see the Upgrading SimpleViewer-Pro page for details.
You can download the latest version using the link from your purchase email. If you cannot find your purchase email or your download link has expired, please fill in this Upgrade Request Form to request a new download link.

Steven Speirs

Many thanks. I have now installed svbuilder pro, but just had a little problem with it.

I had earlier created a gallery using the old version, and it worked fine when trying it in the pro version, so I saved it as a preset. When I went back to view the gallery, it didn't show up, but if I use the preset for new galleries they work OK. Still can't view the original though, which I need, so would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

This is likely to be due to the different XML format that SimpleViewer v1.x and SimpleViewer v2.x use.

You should be able to convert a SimpleViewer v1.9 gallery to the current version (v2.3.1) by simply opening it and re-saving it in svBuilder-Pro but without seeing your files, it is difficult to imagine exactly what the problem might be.

Please zip your project and upload it somewhere so that I can download it, take a look and hopefully help further.

Steven Speirs

I have managed to embed the gallery after tinkering with it in SVBuilder Pro, but for some reason it comes up minus the tinkering and not as the Pro version. Could you tell me what I need to do?

Thanks

If you create or edit a gallery with svBuilder-Pro, the gallery will use the Pro 'svcore' folder and will be a SimpleViewer-Pro gallery (with no branding, no image limit and Pro configuration options being used). Opening any SimpleViewer gallery (whether Standard or Pro) in svBuilder-Pro and re-saving the gallery on the 'Publish' tab, should result in a Pro gallery.

Make sure the 'svcore' folder in your gallery's folder is the Pro 'svcore' folder. If you open the 'svcore/web/js/simpleviewer.js' file in a plain text editor, it will read "SimpleViewer-Pro v2.3.1" at the top if it is the Pro version.
If you are in any doubt, simply replace the 'svcore' folder in your gallery's folder with the 'svcore' folder from the SimpleViewer-Pro download package ('simpleviewer_pro_231/web/svcore/').

Steven Speirs

I tried doing that but, after creating a gallery in SVBuilder and saving on the publish tab, all the images were deleted! I tried again and the same thing happened.
It definitely is 2.3.1 because it says on the picasa export page.

I'm becoming a little confused. How are you creating your gallery?
You named your forum thread WP-SimpleViewer, you talk about using svBuilder (as well as svBuilder-Pro) and now introduce what sounds like the SimpleViewer Picasa Plugin into the mix.

If using the SimpleViewer Picasa Plugin, it comes bundled with SimpleViewer-Standard so you will need to upgrade it to SimpleViewer-Pro by following the instructions here.

I tried doing that but, after creating a gallery in SVBuilder and saving on the publish tab, all the images were deleted!

If you are able to run me through a complete workflow pattern, step-by-step (i.e. from how you first create your gallery to how you end up with images being deleted), then I can try to replicate it and try to figure out what is happening.

Steven Speirs

I have already upgraded the Picasa template to Pro by following those instructions.

I  created a gallery using Picasa, opened it in SVBuilder Pro to customise it and I then ran through all the options. When I was happy with it, I saved it.

That's when I noticed that all the images had been deleted. Everything else was still there, including the thumbnails.

Thank you for clarifying things.
I have just tried to replicate your scenario by:

• Installing the SimpleViewer Picasa Template (v2.3.1) from scratch

• Upgrading the SimpleViewer Picasa Template from SimpleViewer-Standard to SimpleViewer-Pro

• Creating a gallery with the SimpleViewer Picasa Template

• Installing svBuilder-Pro (v2.3.1) from scratch

• Opening the gallery in svBuilder-Pro

• Changing configuration options

• Saving the gallery on the 'Publish' tab

All the images that were in the 'images' folder before opening the gallery in svBuilder-Pro were still there after saving the gallery in svBuilder-Pro.
I'm really not sure how your images could be deleted.
If I think of anything that might be causing your images to be deleted, I will be sure to post back but at the moment I do not know what might be causing your problem.

Steven Speirs

Thanks. I went over everything again and it seems OK. However, whenever I embed the code, I continue getting the gallery xml not found.

Maybe I could send you the code that I've embedded and you can see where I'm going wrong?

Maybe I could send you the code that I've embedded and you can see where I'm going wrong?

You could certainly send me the code that you are using but that may not be enough to determine why you are receiving the 'Gallery XML file not found' message. For example, it would not tell me where on your web server all your gallery files are located. It would be better to post the URL of the gallery itself so that I can take a look at it live on your web server.

In the meantime, perhaps this FAQ will help:
When I view my gallery I see the message 'Gallery XML Not Found'. How do I fix this?

Steven Speirs

The URL of the gallery is http://79.170.44.155/racing-images.co.u … enham_2012. I have placed it in the uploads folder in w-p content.

I hope this helps.

There is no embedding code on that page. I would need to see the web page which contains the embedding code for your gallery (i.e. the page which displays the 'Gallery XML file not found' message).

As documented in the FAQ, the 'Gallery XML file not found' message means that the gallery is embedded correctly but that SimpleViewer cannot find the gallery's XML file (which, by default, should be named 'gallery.xml' and should be located in the same directory as the HTML page containing the embedding code).

If you have uploaded your complete gallery folder to your web server (as you appear to have done), then you can embed your gallery using one of the two methods documented here.

Steven Speirs

Sorry, the page the gallery is on is http://79.170.44.155/racing-images.co.u … enham-2012. I have followed the recommended method for embedding the gallery but must be doing something wrong.

Try using your actual domain name rather than the IP address in your URLs, (both within your gallery's embedding code and when accessing your web page in a browser) e.g.:
http://www.example.com/gallery/index.html rather than http://12.34.56.78/gallery.index.html

Steven Speirs

Yes, it shows up when I view it that way in a browser, but the embedded code doesn't work for some reason. Does it mean that I won't be able to view it  properly until the site goes live?

You still have the line:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://79.170.44.155/racing-images.co.uk/cheltenham_2012/js/simpleviewer.js"></script>

... in your embedding code which may be causing the problem.
If, after changing the IP address in the above line to your domain name, your gallery still does not display, try using relative URLs rather than absolute URLs within your embedding code (i.e. for the path to the 'simpleviewer.js' file and for the baseURL entry).

Incidentally, your embedding code has several <p>, </p> and <br /> tags throughout it.
Make sure that when entering the embedding code into the body of your WordPress post, the method of entry is 'HTML' rather than 'Visual'. If it already is set to 'HTML', then it may be your current WordPress theme which is automatically inserting these extra unnecessary tags.

Steven Speirs

To put it simply, why can't I just embed the code from SVBuilder, after I have created the gallery, to the page? Why do I have to use the Base URL option which you suggest, and which never seems to work, however I set it? There seem to be so many different variations.

To put it simply, why can't I just embed the code from SVBuilder, after I have created the gallery, to the page?

You can, as long as you upload all the files and subfolders within your gallery folder to the same directory as the web page into which you are entering the embedding code (as documented here).

Why do I have to use the Base URL option which you suggest

You do not need to use the baseURL method (as documented here). However, I recommend it in a WordPress environment (if not using WP-SimpleViewer) as it has the following advantages over the basic method of embedding.
(1) You can upload the complete gallery folder (not just the contents) to your web server in a single action.
(2) It does not matter where you upload your gallery folder to on your web server as long as you know where it is.
When entering the embedding code into the body of a page or post via the WordPress Dashboard, it is not immediately obvious which web page this code is being entered into on your web server (as WordPress uses PHP to dynamically create the web pages), and therefore, makes it difficult to know where to upload your gallery files and subfolders to.
Using a baseURL prevents this from being an issue. You can just upload your gallery folder to anywhere you like on your web server and point towards it within your embedding code using the baseURL configuration option.

and which never seems to work, however I set it?

The baseURL option works fine as long as it points to a complete gallery folder (as created by svBuilder-Pro).

There seem to be so many different variations.

You can use different methods to point towards the gallery folder using the baseURL configuration option.
In the following example, a gallery folder (named 'gallery') has been uploaded to a directory named 'test' on a domain named 'www.example.com', i.e. 'www.example.com/test/gallery/'.
The embedding code is being entered into an HTML page named 'page.html' which is located in the root of the domain, i.e. 'www.example.com/page.html'.
The following baseURLs would work:
flashvars.baseURL = "http://www.example.com/test/gallery"; (Absolute URL)
flashvars.baseURL = "test/gallery"; (Relative URL, relative to 'page.html')
flashvars.baseURL = "/test/gallery"; (Leading '/' signifies root of domain)
The only method which may not work is using the IP Address instead of the actual domain name.

Steven Speirs

As you said, I've just uploaded the whole gallery content to the public_html folder which contains the page on which I've embedded the code, then loaded the page , but it still doesn't find the gallery xml.
I can't see what I'm doing wrong.