Topic: help with main gallery page

Several questions, I just cant seem to find answers in the forum.

1. Is there a way for the titles of the individual galleries to show up on the main gallery page under the gallery thumbnail? For example I want the title "baby collection" to show on the main gallery under the photo for that gallery, not just in the actual gallery.

2. It looks like the thumbnail is cutting off some of the photo for the main gallery page, can this be adjusted?

2. I was wondering how to get rid of the grey strip along the bottom of my photos when you hover the over the image?

I'm so clueless, thanks in advance.

http://creativestitchesbykathleen.com/gallery.htm

Kathleen

Re: help with main gallery page

1. Is there a way for the titles of the individual galleries to show up on the main gallery page under the gallery thumbnail? For example I want the title "baby collection" to show on the main gallery under the photo for that gallery, not just in the actual gallery.

The text 'Baby Collection' is already displayed below the correponding thumbnail. However, it is not visible as the color of the text is the same color as the background of your web page (white).
You can change the color of the text by editing the 'svmanager/index.php' file (in a plain text editor) and changing the a.link, a.visited color on line 30 in the following section of code:

a:link, a:visited {
        color: #FFF;
      }

You may also wish to change the color of the text when users hover over the link by changing the a.hover color on line 33 in the following section of code:

a:hover {
        color: #CCC;
      }

2. It looks like the thumbnail is cutting off some of the photo for the main gallery page, can this be adjusted?

You can change the dimensions of the galleries index page thumbnails by editing the 'svmanager/includes/constants.php' file and changing the values for INDEX_THUMB_WIDTH and INDEX_THUMB_HEIGHT in lines 40-43 inclusive:

// Width of thumbnails in galleries index (px)
define('INDEX_THUMB_WIDTH', 65);
// Height of thumbnails in galleries index (px)
define('INDEX_THUMB_HEIGHT', 65);

If your thumbnails have the same aspect ratio as the main images themselves, then there should be no cropping within the thumbnails.

2. I was wondering how to get rid of the grey strip along the bottom of my photos when you hover the over the image?

This is the caption area. Your gallery currently uses captionPosition="OVERLAY_BOTTOM".
Try setting the captionPosition to a value other than on the overlay, or to 'NONE'.
Possible values for the captionPosition configuration option can be found in the Caption Options section of the 'SimpleViewer-Pro Config Options' page.

Please note that the line numbers quoted above apply to the current version of svManager and may differ slightly for previous versions.

For further information on customizing the galleries index page, please see the Editing the automatic galleries index page section of the svManager support page.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Ok, I got some things working, I made the changes to the individual galleries to show up and the thumbnail size changed.

Some more things I am having trouble with.

1. Now on my main gallery page I see "admin sign in" on the upper right, can this be removed?

2. I have changed the color of the title "galleries" but I would like it to say "Design Portfolio", can I do this?

3. Can the underline be removed under the gallery title (i.e. baby collection)

4.  Can the title be removed from inside the actual gallery, I have gone in to sv manager to remove the title but its not working.

5.  When I try to enter the flickr set id for the following http://www.flickr.com/photos/creativest … 064741482/

I enter the following: 72157631064741482 but someone else's photos show up.

6. I changed my layout to my thumbnails on the left.  I how can I get my thumbnails to be centered on the side of the main photo, as it is now the thumbnails are higher on the left than the main photo. I have tried changing the main photo size a little in svmanager but cant get it correct. 

I am sorry for so many questions, I have scoured the forums for hours but just cant figure it out.  Thank you in advance.
kathleen

1. Now on my main gallery page I see "admin sign in" on the upper right, can this be removed?

Edit the 'svmanager/index.php' file and remove line 97:

<p class="adminlink"><a href="<?php print $adminLink; ?>">Admin Sign In</a></p>

2. I have changed the color of the title "galleries" but I would like it to say "Design Portfolio", can I do this?

Edit the 'svmanager/index.php' file and change the text 'Galleries' to 'Design Portfolio' on line 98:

<h1>Design Portfolio</h1>

3. Can the underline be removed under the gallery title (i.e. baby collection)

Edit the 'svmanager/index.php' file and add the following code to the CSS section after line 77:

a {
    text-decoration: none;
}

4.  Can the title be removed from inside the actual gallery, I have gone in to sv manager to remove the title but its not working.

Yes. You can change (or remove) the gallery's title (which is displayed below the corresponding thumbnail in the galleries index page) in the admin section by changing the 'Gallery title' text field in the 'Edit' gallery page and then clicking the 'Update' button at the bottom of the page. You may need to clear your browser's cache after making a change before reloading the gallery.

5.  When I try to enter the flickr set id for the following http://www.flickr.com/photos/creativest … 064741482/

I enter the following: 72157631064741482 but someone else's photos show up.

When I use that Flickr Set Id in a test gallery, your images show up as expected. Double-check that you have entered the Flickr Set Id correctly. If you continue to experience difficulties, please post a URL to the gallery in question so that I can take a look and investigate further.

6. I changed my layout to my thumbnails on the left.  I how can I get my thumbnails to be centered on the side of the main photo, as it is now the thumbnails are higher on the left than the main photo. I have tried changing the main photo size a little in svmanager but cant get it correct.

Your gallery has set thumbRows=10 so the gallery has reserved enough space for 10 rows of thumbnails, even though there are only enough images in your gallery to fill 4 rows of thumbnails (of the default 3 columns). Reduce the number of Thumb Rows in your gallery.

Again, all line numbers above refer to the current version of svManager (v1.8.3).

Steven Speirs

Ok, I have been able to do most of those changes, but I am still having trouble with the flickr set.

Here is the link for the gallery

http://www.creativestitchesbykathleen.com/svgallery/g3/

Here is the set that I would like to use:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/creativest … 064741482/

I am entering this number for flickr set id:  72157631064741482

also as you can see when I change the thumbnails to the bottom the grey bar is still showing up even though I changed the captions settings according to your instructions.

Ok, I have been able to do most of those changes, but I am still having trouble with the flickr set.

Your 'g3' gallery does not use the flickrSetId configuration option in its XML file: http://creativestitchesbykathleen.com/s … allery.xml
After entering the 'Flickr photoset ID' into the svManager interface (in the 'Pro -> Flickr' section), make sure you click the 'Update all' button at the bottom of the section to write the new settings into the gallery's XML file.
Also, your gallery uses SimpleViewer-Standard v2.2.0 and the flickrSetId configuration option is a Pro-only option.
You would need to purchase SimpleViewer-Pro (from this web page) and upgrade your gallery (by following the instructions here) before the flickrSetId configuration option would be used.
Instructions for upgrading your svManager installation to use the SimpleViewer-Pro files (so that subsequent SimpleViewer galleries created by svManager use the Pro files) can be found here.

also as you can see when I change the thumbnails to the bottom the grey bar is still showing up even though I changed the captions settings according to your instructions.

The captionPosition configuration option is also a Pro-only option and will not be used in a SimpleViewer-Standard gallery.

As a side note, if you wish to continue using SimpleViewer-Standard, you could upgrade your svManager installation to the latest version of SimpleViewer-Standard (v2.3.1) by following the same instructions (linked-to above) but using the 'svcore' folder from the SimpleViewer-Standard download zip package (which can be downloaded from this web page) instead.

Steven Speirs

Ok, thanks so much for your help, I was afraid that may have been the issue.

Ok, I have purchased the pro version and downloaded it to my desktop. Now I need to update the files on my cpanel and I am nervous about deleting anything incorrectly, so I have some really dumb questions to get through this.

I found in the support area the following:

To upgrade the SimpleViewer master you need to replace the whole svcore folder and its contents:
svmanager/plugins/simpleviewer2/sv2master/svcore

so I found this folder in my cpanel, do I make a compressed copy of the new pro svcore folder and upload it that way then unzip it in my cpanel? Or do I upload each file within the folder? I am so not technical.

Thanks in advance,

kathleen

so I found this folder in my cpanel, do I make a compressed copy of the new pro svcore folder and upload it that way then unzip it in my cpanel? Or do I upload each file within the folder?

Either would work (but the latter would be more time consuming).
A much better solution to either of the above methods would be to use an FTP program (such as Filezilla) to gain access to the files on your web server. You should be able to get the required login details (Username and Password) from your web host.
You could then simply drag and drop the new 'svcore' folder into the correct location within Filezilla's interface in a single action (just like moving files and folders about within Windows Explorer) without having to compress/uncompress the folder or transfer individual files one at a time (like you would using the cPanel browser interface).

Steven Speirs

Thank you so much for all your help, I got the pro uploaded correctly and it is working!!!

Kathleen