Topic: old problem - pictures not showing after upload

Hi there,

I have an old typical problem, went through the whole forum, but couldn't solve it. I'm lost...

Locally everything works fine and after I uploaded the site, the pictures are not showing (the gallary does).

here's my site: http://www.franziskastrauss.com/juicebox/index.html

What could be the problem?

would be great if someone could take a look!

Re: old problem - pictures not showing after upload

Please see this FAQ:
My images show locally, but not when I upload them to my website. Why?

Also, check that your entire gallery folder has been uploaded to your web server.
The imageURLs within your gallery's XML are relative to the HTML page containing the embedding code so your first image should be located here: http://www.franziskastrauss.com/juicebo … s/pic1.jpg
... but going directly to that location in a browser results in an error 404 (file not found).

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

something which isn't described and was the case in my installations is file-permissions.
When I checked a single picture I got a "not permitted to view this file error"

when I checked the image permissions they were set to read/write only for owner which on most webservers fails.
I changed to 755 and tataaaaa
the pictures appeared...

I've actually checked your page too and you do not get as Steven suggested a 404 error but a
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /juicebox/images/pic1.jpg on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

So you have the same problem. It seems the app (at least in my case (Max)) does not produce the correct file permissions...
So change to 755 for the image folders (in my case I did it for the all gallery files)
and you should be perfectly OK...

Best regards

As alvaroprudente suggests, please check the permissions on your gallery's 'images' and 'thumbs' folders on your web server and change them to 755 if necessary.

Steven Speirs

Hmmmm...
I am sorry to partly disagree:
I've checked the permissions of the images folder in my OSX 10.7.5
and tough the picture itself has correct rights, the folder above (images & thumbs) is too restricted, thus the forbidden error (and not a pure 404)
-rw-r--r--  1 alvaroprudente  staff  133012  9 Nov 19:36 PB060032.JPG
-rw-r--r--  1 alvaroprudente  staff   85982  9 Nov 19:36 PB050015.JPG
-rw-r--r--  1 alvaroprudente  staff   90287  9 Nov 19:36 PB050006.JPG
-rw-r--r--  1 alvaroprudente  staff   82231  9 Nov 19:36 PB050002.JPG
Manzanita15:~ alvaroprudente$ ls -ltr /Users/alvaroprudente/Sites/CaneloDigital/PaginaNueva/simpleViewer/
total 32
drwxr-xr-x   7 alvaroprudente  staff   238  9 Nov 19:35 svcore
drwx------  52 alvaroprudente  staff  1768  9 Nov 19:36 thumbs
drwx------  52 alvaroprudente  staff  1768  9 Nov 19:36 images
-rw-r--r--   1 alvaroprudente  staff   587  9 Nov 19:38 index.html

Thus the error:
Uder unix/linux/OSX and apache not only the specific rights of a file do have to fit but also the whole permission structure above: folder, overfolder, etc.
I've checked the URL you suggested gives this error:
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /juicebox/images/this_image_does_not_exist.jpg on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

So you see in first instance you get the forbidden error due to "no read rights" on the images folder.
Then in second instance you get the 404...

But anyway to correct this you simply have to change the rights of the images & thumbs folder to 755 and voila...

As you suggest, it certainly looks like a folder permissions problem on the user's web server.
(I have edited my post above accordingly.)
Thank you for your input.

Steven Speirs

IT WORKED!!!!!

thanks so much! I can't believe it was that easy....THANK YOU!!!