Topic: Illegal URL redirect

Hi,

When I want to add an image, the java field isn't displayed.
When I click on it, I have the message : SecurityException / Illegal URL redirect.

I have updated my Java and I have tried with several browsers.

What can I do ?

Thanks
Laurent

Re: Illegal URL redirect

Is this a new svManager installation or did it just start to happen?

Are you running a secure server with https url?

I'll ask the applet provider if he can suggest anything.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi Jack,

Thank you for your replay !

It's an existing svManager. It has works in the past, but it seem to be a old version (1.2.3).
It's for a friend, I don't know all the history. There may has been a domain name change, but I'm not sure.

It's not on HTTPS.

Regards
Laurent

I think the first step would be to upgrade to the latest version. Upgrade instructions are in the support page. Always back up an existing installation before upgrading, especially since your existing version is about four years old.

jack

Jack Hardie

Hi,

I have the same problem as LaurentSEO. I have now updated the svManager and simpleviewer but it is still showing the Security Exeption (illegal URL redirect) in Firefox und Safari.
I thought that the svManager would also work under google chrome (since version 1.75 ) but no chance - how come?
I am working with MacOS 10.8.
Have you got another tip for solving the Java-issue?

Thanks a lot
Bruce

Last edited by Bruce79 (2012-11-12 11:10:37)

Apple upgraded to 64 bit Java and Chrome is a 32 bit browser. No way to make Chrome work with the latest Apple Java – frustrating isn't it (I'm on the same Mac OS as you).

There seems to be no straightforward fix at the moment but I'm still looking.

Waiting for a reply from the java developer on the other indirect issue.

jack

Jack Hardie

Laurent – are you on Mac or Windows? Which operating system version?

Bruce – could you open the java console on your Mac and see if there any error messages reported.

First you need to launch the java control panel. This has changed from earlier versions of Mac OSX – "To access the Java Control Panel, click the Java icon in the System Preferences panel. If the Java icon is not present (under the Other category) in System Preferences, you do not have an Oracle JRE installed."

Select Show java console in the control panel advanced tab. Open FF or Safari and browse to the svManager upload page. The console should pop-up. Try an upload. Please post anything that looks like an error message here or email me via the forum if it's too long to post.

Thanks

jack

Jack Hardie

Hi Jack

I altered the java console settings as you wrote above but unfortunately I still get the same error message with the console showing:
Java Plug-in 10.9.2.05
Using JRE version 1.7.0_09-b05 Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
User home directory = /Users/
----------------------------------------------------
c:   clear console window
f:   finalize objects on finalization queue

and I am not able to upload an image.

I also ran the http://javatester.org/version.html and everything is fine. I even restarted my mac! and nothing changed.

All other svmanager actions seem to work well, the version I have installed is 1.8.4 which isn't listed in your version history - could this maybe make a difference?

Thanks for your efforts!
Bruce

Last edited by Bruce79 (2012-11-12 20:15:07)

Hi Jack,

as I have a similar Java problem with another website (don't worry, I didn't code it and it is not an airtight interactive product ; ) I was curious if the upload actually works on your computer?
... because this really seems to be a OS 10.8 matter.

However it still would be great if you find a solution for the problem!

Thanks and many greetings
Bruce

I have no problem uploading images in Safari or FF. I can no longer run the applet in Chrome. That's on OSX 10.8.2, Java Standard Edition version 7 update 9.

So what's the key difference or is it server-side?

jack

Jack Hardie

Hi Jack, uploading finally works again ... it seems to be the Java settings.

After the Java installation the upload only works once. Then somehow it brakes down.
So what I did was uncheck "Keep temporary Internet files on my computer" under "general settings" in the java console (by installation it is checked) and that was it.

I double-checked it with my other mac and it acted exactly the same.

Have you also got this setting?

Bruce

Very interesting – good detective work! The files are quite small so there's not much to be gained from cacheing anyway. I'll pass this information on to the java developer.

I have the default setting. 'Keep temporary internet files on my computer' is checked in the java panel. I clicked the 'View...' button to look at the cache and found several versions of the MyUploader .jar files in there. I have several test servers for svManager and it seems that every time I go to a new server it caches the two .jar files. So maybe cached versions from different sources are (sometimes) violating the security policy? I don't know why it's happening on your computer and not on mine.

Incidentally, a new version of MyUploader has just been released and will by included in the next release of SvManager. I don't think there are any significant changes other than a new certificate so it's unlikely to have any impact on this issue but thought I'd mention it in case you spot it in the svManager history log and wonder about it.

jack

Jack Hardie

Laurent – are you on Mac as well – if you are then can you try this fix?

jack

Jack Hardie

Jack,
I'm getting the same error, but I'm using a PC, and getting the error in IE, Chrome, and Firefox.

I have the most current version of Java, and I'm using version 1.8.5 of SVManager.

Any idea how I can get the system working?

Ah – first report from a Windows user – which version of Windows are you on?

The problems seems to be associated with the java cache. Please try clearing the java cache and post back here with the result.

Instructions for clearing the cache on Windows are here http://www.java.com/en/download/help/plugin_cache.xml

jack

Jack Hardie

Hey Jack,
Thanks for responding so quickly!  I've got Windows 7, Firefox 16, and IE 9.

Fortunately for me, your suggestion, and the tutorial link to clear the Java cache were exactly what I needed to get the SVManager upload window back up and running.

THANK YOU so much!

Kelli

Good – I'm glad to hear we have a fix that seems to work on both Windows and Mac.

If the problem happens again you can turn off  the cacheing altogether. There is a checkbox labelled Keep temporary files on my computer in the java control panel. You can see it in a screen shot in the tutorial. Turn off cacheing by unchecking the box. Web pages with Java applets will download a little more slowly without cacheing but they are usually quite small so I don't think it will be noticeable.

Please come back to the forum if you have any more problems.

jack

Jack Hardie