Topic: svbuilder crashing when i load my gallery

Hi there
Been using simpleviewer pro for a long while now for my gallery of photos-
http://www.alanstarck.com/alanstarckgallery/index.html

i want to add some more photos but when i open that gallery now the svbuilder freezes abd then crashes.
ive tried reinstalling, and ive tried building the gallery again from scratch but the same thing happens.
any ideas?

ta

Re: svbuilder crashing when i load my gallery

First of all, make sure that you are using the latest versions of both Adobe AIR (v3.5) and svBuilder-Pro (v2.3.1).
The latest version of Adobe AIR can be downloaded from this web page.
Instructions for downloading and upgrading svBuilder-Pro can be found here.

I notice that your gallery has several hundred images.
When attempting to create the gallery from scratch, try adding the images in batches to see if svBuilder-Pro fails on a certain image or when the number of images reaches a certain total. (It is just a thought but there may be an Adobe AIR/svBuilder-Pro/out-of-memory issue with so many images added to your gallery at once.)

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

cheers. all is up to date ;o(
must be that the gallery is too big then which is a shame. I would like to have smaller subgalleries but the main blocker to that is that i need the music to continue playing when going from one gallery to another. subgalleries would make the track start again which is not what i want given my site is primarily about the music. Any idea of a workaround?
ta

You could create a main page which consists of a 100% x 100% <iframe>.
You could embed a third-party audio player into this page and load your web site into the <iframe>.
Your web site would fill the user's browser window (just as before) so the user would notice no difference.
However, because the audio player is embedded on the main page containing the <iframe> and all the navigation between galleries is now happening within the <iframe>, the user's browser never navigates away from the main page containing the <iframe> and the audio player and the audio track will play continuously.

Steven Speirs

Thanks steven. I appreciate your help.
Looks worth a try. Have you seen any good systems for a master gallery list?
I'd  probably have about 30-40 galleries and cant think of an easy and elegant way of having a master gallery linking into the subgalleries. Have you seen anything like this on these forums? (its a difficult one to do a forum search on)

There are instructions for manually embedding and linking together multiple galleries here.

There are currently two automated solutions which you might like to consider:

(1) svManager
This is a separate product (a PHP web application) which allows you to create, edit and manage galleries online through a web browser interface.
You can create SimpleViewer galleries with svManager itself or you can create SimpleViewer galleries by another method (such as svBuilder-Pro), upload them to your web server and import them into your svManager installation.
svManager creates an index page of all listed galleries comprising thumbnails which link to the corresponding galleries.
svManager is the only automated solution to use thumbnails to represent each gallery.
Here is a sample svManager index page.
You can try svManager via the online demo here.

(2) SimpleViewer Skin for jAlbum
jAlbum is a desktop application which allows you to create multiple galleries in a single action.
When using the SimpleViewer skin, you can drag and drop a complete folder structure into jAlbum's main window and click 'Make Album'.
The resulting album will have a separate SimpleViewer gallery for each and every folder/subfolder in your input structure and all the galleries will be linked together via a JavaScript navigation tree.
Here is a sample album created by jAlbum and the SimpleViewer Skin.

Steven Speirs

Just thought I'd pop back to say thanks very much. With all your tips and a lot of sweat I managed to get it looking and working nice. smile

That's great!
Thanks for posting back to let me know.

Steven Speirs