Topic: Simpleviewer Pro gallery won't open - Windows 7

Hi,

I can successfully create galleries in my version of Simpleviewer Pro (v2.13 I think) but I cannot open them again once created.

I am using Windows 7 on a PC.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and doing the same with Adobe Air, but it doesn't make a difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Lucy

Re: Simpleviewer Pro gallery won't open - Windows 7

When opening an existing gallery in svBuilder-Pro, you should navigate towards and highlight/select the gallery folder itself (not a file within the gallery folder) before clicking 'OK' in the 'Browse For Folder' pop-up window. Each gallery folder must contain an XML file named 'gallery.xml' in order for svBuilder-Pro to successfully open the gallery.

As upgrades are free within the same major version number, you could upgrade your version of SimpleViewer-Pro from v2.1.3 to the current version (v2.3.1) by following the instructions on the Upgrading SimpleViewer-Pro web page.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi Steven,

I am trying to open a folder with an XML file in it, but to no avail.

I've downloaded the latest version, but when I try to install it, I get the following message:

"This application cannot be installed because this installer has been mis-configured. Please contact the application author for assistance."

I assume that this is a different problem?

Thanks,

Lucy

I assume that this is a different problem?

Yes. In order to install a new version of svBuilder-Pro, you must first uninstall any existing version from your computer:

• Mac: Delete the 'svBuilder' file from the Applications folder and then empty your Trash
    • Windows: Use the 'svBuilder' uninstaller in 'Control Panel -> Programs -> Uninstall a program'

Steven Speirs

Thanks Steven, I've successfully installed the latest version of Simpleviewer but I still can't seem to open a gallery.

I click on Open gallery and choose a gallery folder. After a while it goes onto Images but no images appear. I have created and published the galleries, the XML file is definitely in the folder I'm trying to open, but the images don't display. It means that any time I want to add new images, I currently have to rebuild the gallery from scratch, which is unnecessarily time-consuming.

I have tried it on a laptop running XP and it works fine, so I can only assume it's a problem with Windows 7 maybe?

Any light you could shed on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lucy

There are no known compatibility issues between svBuilder-Pro v2.3.1 and Windows 7 so you should be able to open a gallery created with svBuilder-Pro v2.3.1 with no problems.
If you could zip and upload your gallery somewhere and post a download link for me, I could try opening it myself in svBuilder-Pro v2.3.1 on a Windows 7 computer to try to find out where your problem lies. Thank you.

Steven Speirs

Hi Steven,

You can download an example here http://www.photophrenia.com/creative.zip if you could take a look.

I've just realised that when I try to open a gallery made recently (in v2.2.0), it does open, but any made longer ago (about a year) in v2.1.3 don't open. Could this possibly be at the route of the problem?

Thanks,

Lucy

Thank you for providing a sample gallery.
Your gallery's 'gallery.xml' file has been marked as 'Read-only' and svBuilder-Pro is, therefore, unable to modify it (which it needs to be able to do when editing a gallery).
Right-click the 'gallery.xml' file, select 'Properties', click on the 'General' tab and ensure that the 'Read-only' Attribute is deselected before clicking 'OK'.
You should now be able to open the gallery in svBuilder-Pro.

Steven Speirs

I am having a similar issue in which I can create a gallery, but I can not open the gallery after creating it. The "gallery.xml" file is greyed out, and I can't figure out how to open it after reading this thread either. The file is also in my gallery folder, which also contains the folder "svcore" (I don't know if that's helpful or not, or if I need to put the xml file in a different folder, but I've tried that as well and it is still greyed out when I go to try to open it).

I have the most recent version of svBuilder-Pro and I'm working on a Mac OS X version 10.7.5

Thank you in advance.

I should also note that my .xml file is not set on "Read Only," it is set on "Read & Write."

As I mentioned in a post above, when opening an existing gallery in svBuilder-Pro, you should navigate towards and highlight/select the gallery folder itself (not the 'gallery.xml' file within the gallery folder) before clicking the 'Select Folder' button in the 'Select Gallery Folder...' pop-up window.

The file is also in my gallery folder, which also contains the folder "svcore"

That is exactly how it should be. This is no need to move or rename any files after the gallery has been created by svBuilder-Pro.
Try saving your gallery to a completely different location on your hard drive to see if this makes a difference.
Make sure that, when trying to open the gallery, none of the gallery files are open in other programs (such as browsers or text editors) which may have a temporary lock on them, preventing other programs access.
Also, when you highlight/select the gallery folder and click the 'Select Folder' button, what exactly happens?
Does the 'Select Gallery Folder...' pop-up window stay on-screen or does it disappear?

Steven Speirs

Oooohhh, I was doing it completely wrong then. I read earlier comments but didn't really understand what you meant until I went step by step with what you just said. Thank you so much, that worked perfectly!