Topic: Workflow question: How to add images to an existing gallery.

Hello there,

right now I export a LR4 collection through the WEB module to the svBuilder-Pro app.
And then upload this folder via FTP.

But what is the smartest thing to do, if I want to add 2-3 images to a gallery that is already uploaded and contains hundreds of images.
Repeating the whole process and uploading the whole +500MB is bit wasteful.

What possibilities do I have to add images?

Kind regards,
Jan

Re: Workflow question: How to add images to an existing gallery.

You could open your existing gallery with svBuilder-Pro, add new images to the gallery on the 'Images' tab, save the gallery on the 'Publish' tab but then only upload the new images and thumbnails (to the 'images' and 'thumbs' folders respectively) and the updated 'gallery.xml' file (overwriting the existing 'gallery.xml' file on your web server).
When uploading, you could actually go through the motions of uploading the entire gallery folder to your web server and your FTP program should ask if you want to overwrite existing files. Just select 'No' and only the new images and thumbnails (which do not yet exist on your web server) should be uploaded. You could then upload the new 'gallery.xml' file to your web server manually in a separate action, overwriting the existing one.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Am I right, that all information needed for the new pics to show up is within the gallery.xml file?

Would it be possible to manually add another

<image imageURL="photos/IMG_255.jpg"
    thumbURL="thumbs/IMG_255.jpg"
    linkURL="photos/IMG_255.jpg"
    linkTarget="_blank">
    <caption><![CDATA[Bla bla bla!]]></caption>
</image>

to the code?
Because then I would just create a Photoshop action that outputs a 1280px image and a 75x75 thumb image. Plus edit the gallery.xml. Upload everything. Done.

And what is difference between the folder "thumbs" and the folder "thumbnails"?

Thanks, Jan

Last edited by JanR (2012-11-21 15:22:06)

Am I right, that all information needed for the new pics to show up is within the gallery.xml file?

Yes.

Would it be possible to manually add another ... to the code?

Yes.

There is no difference. It does not matter what the folder is named as long as the references to the folder are correct within the XML file.

Steven Speirs

There is no difference. It does not matter what the folder is named as long as the references to the folder are correct within the XML file.

Okay, I have both.  wink
But it only needs the folder "thumbs", the pics in "thumbnail" are larger (around 200px). Maybe those are used for the autoindex-thing (which I dont use anyway).

Thanks for your help. Everything is running fine.

BTW: I noticed that Photoshop -> Save for web produces smaller, better looking images (better than LR4 and svBuilder-Pro). The difference is not huge, but worth mentioning.

/Jan

Last edited by JanR (2012-11-22 12:40:37)

But it only needs the folder "thumbs", the pics in "thumbnail" are larger (around 200px). Maybe those are used for the autoindex-thing (which I dont use anyway).

SimpleViewer-Pro can point to each thumbnail in a unique location via the thumbURL attributes in the XML file but, usually, all thumbnails are stored in a single folder for convenience.

BTW: I noticed that Photoshop -> Save for web produces smaller, better looking images (better than LR4 and svBuilder-Pro). The difference is not huge, but worth mentioning.

It is possible to change the dimensions and quality of the images that svBuilder-Pro produces by clicking on the 'Change...' button in the 'Image Size' control panel on the 'Images' tab and changing the 'Maximum Width', 'Maximum Height' and 'Quality' values.

Steven Speirs