Topic: Thumbnails don't show in svBuilder-Pro Images

Thumbnails were showing fine but when I quite and started again later all the thumbnails in Images just show broken links.

It's works okay in a browser.

Re: Thumbnails don't show in svBuilder-Pro Images

Please make sure that you are using the latest versions of both Adobe AIR (v3.5) and svBuilder-Pro (v2.3.1).
Adobe AIR can be downloaded from this web page.
Instructions for upgrading svBuilder-Pro can be found on this web page.

There was an incompatibility between Mac OS X 10.6, svBuilder-Pro v2.3.0 and Adobe AIR v3.4 whereby the thumbnails on the 'Images' tab were not displayed. Please see the SimpleViewer Version History for a full list of changes.

If this does not help, open your gallery's 'gallery.xml' file in a plain text editor and make sure that each <image> entry corresponds to an image in your gallery's 'images' folder.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Yes have the latest version of both on OS X 10.6.8

<image imageURL="images/MaileaCieco.jpg"
    thumbURL="thumbs/MaileaCieco.jpg"
    linkURL="Maiale Cieco Jug Wine"
    linkTarget="_blank">
    <caption><![CDATA[Constellation Brands - Maiale Cieco Jug Wine]]></caption>
  </image>

Gallery bink$ ls -l
-rw-r--r--   1 bink  staff  2865 Dec  4 07:16 gallery.xml
drwx------  15 bink  staff   510 Dec  4 06:38 images
-rwxr-xr-x   1 bink  staff   587 Dec  4 07:16 index.html
drwxr-xr-x   7 bink  staff   238 Dec  2 11:53 svcore
drwx------  14 bink  staff   476 Dec  2 13:00 thumbs

Gallery bink$ ls -l images
-rw-r--r--@ 1 bink  staff  331456 Dec  4 06:29 MaileaCieco.jpg

Gallery bink$ ls -l thumbs/
-rw-r--r--  1 bink  staff  1528 Dec  2 14:01 MaileaCieco.jpg

Create new gallery with one image. Thumbnail displays correctly, save it.

Close gallery, launch svBuilder-Pro again, and open gallery just created and thumbnail displays broken link.

Edit gallery.xml and put full path for thumb: thumbURL="/Users/bink/WORK/Web/sabineSamPortoTEST/thumbs/3rd_wheel.2.jpg" relaunch and it displays correctly.

Not that I'm going to hack the .xml file again and again just hoping that would give someone a hint.

Create new gallery with one image. Thumbnail displays correctly, save it.

Close gallery, launch svBuilder-Pro again, and open gallery just created and thumbnail displays broken link.

I have just tried this on a Windows 7 x64 PC using Adobe AIR v3.5 and svBuilder-Pro v2.3.1 and it works as expected (no broken link).
If possible, please zip and upload (and provide a download link to) the original image that you are feeding to svBuilder-Pro and also the single-image gallery that displays the broken icon on opening so that I can try it for myself and investigate further. Thank you.

Steven Speirs

I'm on OS X 10.6.8

The version of svBuilder-Pro for PC and Mac is the same (installed from the same installation file within the SimpleViewer-Pro download package) and I am currently unable to replicate the problem. There may be platform-specific differences but I do not have a Mac on which to test.

As I requested earlier, please zip and upload (and provide a download link to) the original image that you are feeding to svBuilder-Pro and also the single-image gallery that displays the broken icon on opening so that I can try to replicate the problem for myself and investigate further. Thank you.

Steven Speirs

I thought you just forgot I was on a Mac.

Here's the files:
http://arraymedia.com/svBuilderPathBug/

Click the link: Download .zip

Thanks for all the help

What version of svBuilder-Pro are you using? Run svBuilder-Pro and do Help -> About svBuilder-Pro...

Felix Turner

Thank you for providing the zip file.
However, I am unable to replicate the problem you are currently experiencing with the image and gallery you provided.
Everything works as expected on my system.

As Felix asks, please confirm the version of svBuilder-Pro you use. Thank you.

Steven Speirs

svBuilder > About > v2.3.1

The generated gallery.xml:
thumbURL="thumbs/MaileaCieco.jpg"

Using the full path in the gallery.xml file fixes the thumbnail display in svBuilder:
thumbURL="/Users/bink/WORK/Web/sabinePortfolio2013/Gallery/thumbs/MaileaCieco.jpg"

So maybe something like svBuilder is adding a " \ " or some other none unix path thing?

Try uninstalling and then reinstalling svBulder-Pro v2.3.1 and manually delete the following folders after uninstalling and before reinstalling (if they exist) to ensure that no files are left behind by the uninstaller.
/Users/your_username/Library/Adobe/Air/svBuilder-Pro
/Users/your_username/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AIR/ELS/svBuilder-Pro

If this does not help, try reverting to Adobe AIR v3.3 (which can be downloaded from the Adobe AIR 3.3.0.3670 Mac (23.4 MB) link on this web page) to see if this makes a difference.
If your problem is related to the bug that was introduced with Adobe AIR v3.4, using v3.3 should work OK and help us narrow down the cause of the problem.

Steven Speirs

AIR 3.3 works on OS X 10.6.x

The machine running 10.6 is too old to bring up to 10.8 but I can bring it up to 10.7. Do you know anything about 10.7. We can probably get the project done just running AIR 3.3 but the first time someone clicks the "sure I want to update AIR" button...

FYI - AIR 3.5 and svBuilder-2.3.1 work fine on OS X 10.8.x

Thanks

The bug was known to affect only Mac OS X 10.6 and came into being when Adobe AIR v3.4 was released. It should have been fixed in svBuilder-v2.3.1 (and was fixed in our test cases).
Mac OS X 10.7 and 10.8 were unaffected by the bug in our test cases so upgrading your OS to 10.7 should hopefully fix the problem for you.
I have notified the developers that a problem still exists with the combination of Mac OS X 10.6.8, Adobe AIR v3.5 and svBuilder-Pro v2.3.1.

Steven Speirs

I'm guessing it may be a permissions issue on that machine. What happens if you save your gallery to a different location? Can you replicate the bug on a different machine?

Felix Turner

I have exactly the same problem, raised on 2012-12-04 17:25:08.  The thumbnails in Images just show broken links.

I realise now that problem started after upgrading to OS X 10.6.8, and at the same time to svBuilder-Pro 2.3.1, as well as using Adobe Air 3.5.

I've just replaced Adobe Air 3.5 with 3.3 and the thumbnails are OK.  So I can confirm that this is not a winning s/w combination!

@suzy

Thank you for reporting.

Steven Speirs

Just relaying that I had the same issue as well, image thumbnails showing as broken links within svBuilder-Pro, running on OS 10.6.8. I had an older version of svBuilder-Pro with the issue, updated that to the newest, still had the issue. Uninstalled AdobeAir 3.5, reinstalled 3.3, thumbnails showing just fine now!

Shawn

@shawnfagan

Thank you for reporting.
I have notified the developers of the problem whereby Mac OS 10.6.8 users running Adobe AIR 3.5 (or Adobe AIR 3.4) cannot see thumbnail images on the svBuilder-Pro v2.3.1 'Customize' tab.
This issue should hopefully be fixed in the next version of SimpleViewer-Pro.

Steven Speirs

Same problem for me :
iMac with MacOSX 10.6.8
Adobe Air 3.7
svBuilder-Pro 2.3.1

shawnfagan wrote:

Just relaying that I had the same issue as well, image thumbnails showing as broken links within svBuilder-Pro, running on OS 10.6.8. I had an older version of svBuilder-Pro with the issue, updated that to the newest, still had the issue. Uninstalled AdobeAir 3.5, reinstalled 3.3, thumbnails showing just fine now!

Shawn

@raymondfn

This bug should have been fixed in svBuilder-Pro v2.3.1.
Please see the Version History for a full list of changes.

If your thumbnails still do not display on the 'Images' tab of svBuilder-Pro, then please check the following:

• Make sure that your image filenames use only web-safe characters (uppercase and lowercase letters, decimal digits, hyphen, period, underscore, and tilde) and not other characters such as commas or apostrophes.

• If the problem happens when opening an existing gallery to edit it, then make sure that the permissions on the gallery folder (and the 'images' and 'thumbs' folders) are not too restrictive.

Steven Speirs

1) My filenames use only web-safe characters, like : IMG_0450.jpg

2) The permissions are :
iMac-de-raymond:web raymond$ ls -al
total 56
drwxr-xr-x   8 raymond  staff    272 18 jui 20:18 .
drwxr-xr-x  17 raymond  staff    578 14 jui 18:49 ..
-rw-r--r--@  1 raymond  staff   6148 19 jui 15:13 .DS_Store
-rw-r--r--   1 raymond  staff  15115 18 jui 20:18 gallery.xml
drwx------  67 raymond  staff   2278 18 jui 20:12 images
-rw-r--r--   1 raymond  staff    587 18 jui 20:18 index.html
drwxr-xr-x   8 raymond  staff    272 19 jui 15:12 svcore
drwx------  67 raymond  staff   2278 18 jui 20:12 thumbs

3) I try reinstalling as you said in your mail  (2012-12-09 20:58:38)

And I have the same problem.
When building a new gallery, the thumbnails display well...

Try changing the permissions of your 'images' and 'thumbs' folders to 'drwxr-xr-x' (the same as the 'svcore' folder).

Steven Speirs

Steven Speirs wrote:

Try changing the permissions of your 'images' and 'thumbs' folders to 'drwxr-xr-x' (the same as the 'svcore' folder).

I change the permisions (with terminal) :
-rw-r--r--   1 raymond  staff  15115 18 jui 20:18 gallery.xml
drwxr-xr-x  67 raymond  staff   2278 18 jui 20:12 images
-rw-r--r--   1 raymond  staff    587 18 jui 20:18 index.html
drwxr-xr-x   8 raymond  staff    272 19 jui 15:12 svcore
drwxr-xr-x  67 raymond  staff   2278 18 jui 20:12 thumbs

This does not work,  thumbnails still not display in svBuilder-Pro...

If you are using svBuilder-Pro v2.3.1, your image filenames contain only alpha-numeric characters and there is no issue with folder permissions, then perhaps there is a problem with the permissions of the image files themselves (within the 'thumbs' and 'images' folders).

Steven Speirs