Topic: Simple Viewer Pro, NextGen Gallery and No Captions

I have looked all through these forums and the web for help with this problem. You can see an example page here:

http://www.jhecommerce.mobi/plastic-tub … ne-tubing/

I set up my galleries using NGG. I added the SV plugin a few weeks ago. Now that the client was happy with it, they wanted some changes that required SV pro. So I bought that yesterday and started to customize. For the life of me, I can't get the captions to show.

I made sure all images have captions/titles/descriptions.
I updated the images and then updated the page and cleared my browser cache.

The gallery xml files are not getting the image information put into them (CDATA, etc.) So I tried adding it according to the example XML file. Didn't work - got errors:

Warning: DOMDocument::load() [domdocument.load]: error parsing attribute name in /home/gpxadmin/public_html/wp-content/uploads/12.xml, line: 2 in /home/gpxadmin/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-simpleviewer/wp-simpleviewer.php on line 525

Warning: DOMDocument::load() [domdocument.load]: attributes construct error in /home/gpxadmin/public_html/wp-content/uploads/12.xml, line: 2 in /home/gpxadmin/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-simpleviewer/wp-simpleviewer.php on line 525

Warning: DOMDocument::load() [domdocument.load]: Couldn't find end of Start Tag simpleviewergallery line 2 in /home/gpxadmin/public_html/wp-content/uploads/12.xml, line: 2 in /home/gpxadmin/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-simpleviewer/wp-simpleviewer.php on line 525

Warning: DOMDocument::load() [domdocument.load]: Extra content at the end of the document in /home/gpxadmin/public_html/wp-content/uploads/12.xml, line: 2 in /home/gpxadmin/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-simpleviewer/wp-simpleviewer.php on line 525

Fatal error: Call to a member function setAttribute() on a non-object in /home/gpxadmin/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-simpleviewer/wp-simpleviewer.php on line 530

Here is what is in the xml file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<simpleviewergallery title="Polypropylene Tubing" useFlickr="false" flickrUserName="" flickrTags="" galleryStyle="COMPACT" thumbPosition="BOTTOM" frameWidth="0" maxImageWidth="380" maxImageHeight="380" textColor="0xffffff" frameColor="0x000000" showOpenButton="false" showFullscreenButton="false" thumbRows="3" thumbColumns="4" languageCode="AUTO" e_g_width="400px" e_g_height="600px" e_bgColor="transparent" e_useFlash="true" e_library="nextgen" e_nextgenGalleryId="7" e_picasaUserId="" e_picasaAlbumName="" imageQuality="80" thumbWidth="75" thumbHeight="75" thumbQuality="90" resizeOnImport="true" cropToFit="false" titleFontSize="14" titlePadding="0" titleTextAlignment="CENTER" titleBackOpacity="50" titleWidth="200" titleHeight="22" titlePosition="NONE" enableKeyboardControls="false" imageScaleMode="SCALE" imageDropShadow="true" backgroundColor="FFFFFF" imageFrameStyle="NONE" imageCornerRadius="0" showOverlay="ALWAYS" showImageNav="NEVER" thumbFrameStyle="NONE" doThumbPopOut="true" changeCaptionOnHover="true" changeImageOnHover="true" thumbNavStyle="NONE" showToolTips="false" imageClickMode="NAVIGATE" thumbCornerRadius="0" thumbLoadBrightness="0.5" captionPosition="OVERLAY_BOTTOM" floatCaption="false" backgroundScale="NONE" galleryWidth="100%" galleryHeight="100%" indexPageName="index2.html" showImageNumber="false" postID="61"/>

I tried building the same thing with the desktop SV pro, and when I do that, I have captions. I pasted that configuration from the gallery.xml file to the "12.xml" on the server. No captions.

I'm out of things to try.

Re: Simple Viewer Pro, NextGen Gallery and No Captions

When using NextGEN as a source of image for a WP-SimpleViewe gallery, captions are taken from the 'Alt Text & Title' text fields in the NextGEN gallery settings pages. Make sure that your captions are entered in those text fields.
Also, in case your NextGEN installation is missing certain database entires, try going to 'Gallery -> Reset / Uninstall' from the WordPress Dashboard and click the 'Reset settings' button. As well as resetting all options/settings to their default installation values, this will reinstate any missing NextGEN database entries.

It is not possible to manually add captions to a gallery's XML file as the XML file is generated dynamically at the time the gallery is displayed/viewed (not when it is created). Only the configuration options are read and used from the physical XML files on the web server when dynamically generating the XML file used by the plugin. Any <image> and <caption> entires are ignored. (This allows users to add/remove images and change captions in the NextGEN gallery settings pages without the need to update the WP-SimpleViewer gallery's XML file afterwards.)

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Re: Simple Viewer Pro, NextGen Gallery and No Captions

Thanks so much - that worked like a charm.

Hopefully this will help others, also.