Topic: cannot create gallery in my wordpress website

hi, i've purchased sv-pro for my current website (www.al-leathercraft.com) but i'm creating a new one using wordpress, i succeed in creating one perfect page (http://alleathercraft.com/163) with the build-in plugin but can never make another

when i click the sv eye button a gallery is assigned like: [simpleviewer gallery_id="14"] but i can no longer insert any images inside and i forgot how i made it the first time and i try every instruction shown

please help

ava

Re: cannot create gallery in my wordpress website

when i click the sv eye button a gallery is assigned like: [simpleviewer gallery_id="14"] but i can no longer insert any images inside and i forgot how i made it the first time and i try every instruction shown

After the plugin has inserted the SimpleViewer shortcode into your WordPress page or post, click the 'Add Media' button, drag and drop your images into the 'Insert Media' window and, once they have finished uploading, just close the 'Insert Media' window (do not click the 'Insert into post' button). This will attach the images to the post (no more, no less) and they will be displayed in the gallery.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

working now! thanks so much big_smile

hi again, i have a few more questions:

(1) i find that galleries created also have the featured image automatically inserted as the last image, how to avoid this?
(2) must i recreate the gallery for any modification like removing or adding an image?
(3) can i create a gallery using images already in the media library of wordpress>

thanks a lot, ava

sorry just find surprising new problems!  (i'm working on a new website, building a lot of galleries) new galleries built are in a narrow column (1column x 6rows, http://alleathercraft.com/1053) while previously it's almost perfect in firefox (http://alleathercraft.com/715), but not in IE (http://alleathercraft.com/715) I already narrow gallery width for ie but still not working... please help

(1) i find that galleries created also have the featured image automatically inserted as the last image, how to avoid this?

This seems to be due to the order in which WordPress attaches uploaded images to posts.
Once the images have been uploaded, select 'Uploaded to this post' from the drop-down menu (in the 'Media Library' section of pop-up 'Insert Media' window), drag and drop a single image into a new position and then drag and drop it back to its original position. This should reorder the images into the order seen on screen.

(2) must i recreate the gallery for any modification like removing or adding an image?

No. You can remove an image from a gallery by deleting it from the Media Library. It will no longer be attached to the post and will no longer be displayed in the gallery. To add an image t a gallery, upload a new image to the Media Library and attach it to the post containing the gallery.

(3) can i create a gallery using images already in the media library of wordpress>

Yes. Simply attach images in the Media Library to the post containing the gallery. Please note that WordPress allows images in the Media Library to be attached to only one post so if the images that already exist in your Media Library are already attached to posts, you will need to upload them again.

while previously it's almost perfect in firefox (http://alleathercraft.com/715), but not in IE

It looks like you current theme might be causing problems with your gallery's percentage dimensions.
Try setting your gallery's width to an absolute pixel value rather than 75%.

Steven Speirs

thanks steven, most issues understood except #1, the problem is that the featured image should not be in the gallery and i didn't have selected it, but it is there as the last image in the gallery, i cannot delete this image from the media library as it is the featured image, any advise? thx

If using the Media Library as the source of images for your gallery, WP-SimpleViewer will display all images attached to the post. It you use a featured image, this image is also attached to the post and will be included in the gallery.
Having WP-SimpleViewer exclude the featured image may be problematic.
If a user specifies one of the images from the gallery as the featured image and WP-SimpleViewer excludes the featured image, then this image would not be displayed in the gallery.
Therefore, I would recommend using one of the images in your gallery as your featured image.

However, if you want to exclude the featured image from the gallery, open the 'wp-simpleviewer/gallery.php' file in a plain text editor and change line 54 from:

$attachments = get_children(array('post_parent'=>$post_id, 'post_type'=>'attachment', 'orderby'=>'menu_order ASC, ID', 'order'=>'DESC'));

... to:

$attachments = get_children(array('post_parent'=>$post_id, 'post_type'=>'attachment', 'orderby'=>'menu_order ASC, ID', 'order'=>'DESC', 'exclude'=>get_post_thumbnail_id($post_id)));

Please note that the line number refers to the current version of WP-SimpleViewer (v2.3.2).

Steven Speirs

I do have thought of option1, but will definitely try your another advise, thanks so much