Topic: Problem refreshing xml file in simpleviewer

Changed xml file is not showing in simpleviewer.

I have cleared my cache. I have used a different browser, and cleared its cache. I have found the cache file adn manually trashed it. I have opened the xml file on the remote server to make sure it has in fact changed. I waited 10 hours, and tried all the above again.

But the changes in the xml gallery are still not showing.

http://www.ppress.co.nz/shows/taranaki/index.html
The first image should be the mountain with cloud on it.

I am using Firefox on a Mac, and the alternate browser is Safari.

TIA
Miriam

Re: Problem refreshing xml file in simpleviewer

Hi,
I'm seeing the wide angle pic of the mountain here in FF and IE, you must have found the problem?

Richard

in order to better assist you, please provide a url, relevant code and details about your problem.
Thanks!

Hi,
no I never found the problem. Tonight I can see the revised xml file on both browsers. Enough time has passed (about 24hrs) and whatever refreshes to find the revised xml file has refreshed.

Annoying that clearing the browser cache and reloading the page does not achieve this.

Being on the other side of the world, maybe the time and date is the issue. I find I can't use synchronisation very well: it seems to think all files need replacing when I know that I have only modified one, and I decided this was a time issue, though can't really get my head around time.

I just modified a file , at 11/6/06 23:10, my time.
The file on the server says it was modifed at 11/06/06 04:10:55 (19hrs behind me - where IS my server I wonder!).

Does this time difference explain why the swf file wouldn't go get the changed xml? Even when the cache was cleared?

I don't understand at all; if clearing the browser cache doesn't make the swf file go get a new copy, what does?

Is my theory that the rest of the world moved to my new date a likely one? (ie if I make changes on 10 Nov my time, it is not until it is the 10 Nov ?GMT ?EST ?host-server-time that my browser or the swf file knows that it needs to get  a new copy?

I would have thought being ahead on time would have made it MORE likely rather than less that an update would be recognised.

Still hoping to understand - can anyone explain?

TIA
Miriam

Ck with your host, but I don't think the time zones are a problem.  Try deleting your old files, then uploading the new ones vs an overwrite. I'm guessing here.

Richard

in order to better assist you, please provide a url, relevant code and details about your problem.
Thanks!

I'm having exactly the same problem.  Have you found a solution yet?  I've tried deleting and re-uploading, clearing caches, trying 3 different browsers, and cross-tested with other users on different machines. 

I checked with the host, and on a browser located on his server, changes register immediately, but requests from remote browsers do not see changes.  There is about a 1 day lag on any changes before they show up. 

The xml file is being cached somewhere is my thoughts.  Any ideas on how this can be fixed?  I'm at a complete loss. 

Also, I'm in argentina at the moment, maybe the time thing is coming into play here as well?  Doesn't seem likely, but perhaps. . .

Thanks.

After a period of time, maybe 12 hours or 24 hours (can't remember now), everything came right. 

I have not made any changes since so I don't know if it is a problem that will recur.

I use the Web Developer extension on Firefox. It has an option to disable cache. I had checked this, and when this didn't fix the problem, I use Firefox to clear the cache. I think that when that is checked, that clearing the cache doesn't work.

However that does not explain the fact that Safari was similarly unable to get the new file.

I think it is a chacing problem. I think it is related to the time stamp on the file: if the time stamp does not say the file is newer than the present time, then it wont collect it.

I use a server that has a time that is in the past in relation to my computer so this should never be an issue, but there is a whole bunch of sfotware determining how to resolve time zone variations, and there could be a bug in that.

The simpleviwere owener has not responde to this, so I don't know if there is something in the flash file that affects time zones.

SO I would be itnerested to know if your problem disapperas after a time period, and maybe you could keep a better eye on teh time taht I did, to determine how long that time gap might be. And when next I work on my galleries, I will do the same.

Best of luck
MIriam

I was reading about caching issues in Safari, and someone said this:
"
It’s become a familiar refrain between me and my co-workers: when something isn’t showing up, we always say: “reload twice?”

Safari seems to refresh only the HTML the first time you press reload, but the second one always gives it the kick in the pants needed to grab CSS, images etc.

The only exception I’ve found to this is Flash content. Sometimes the only way I can refresh that is by loading the actual movie in a separate tab, hitting reload and then reloading the original page.
"
( http://www.zeldman.com/2006/11/16/enabl … ad-files/)

This is Safari being discussed, but even so it suggests browsers may treat Flash differently. I will try loading the actual movie in a separate tab next time and see if that accesses the new xml.

The Flash movie could be being cached locally in the browser, but I'm not sure that's the case.  I'm using Firefox 2.0 and IE 6 on a windows machine and having the same problem you're having, haven't touched Safari.  When my host was trying to help me figure out the problem, he opened a browser directly on the server machine, firefox I assume, and any xml changes showed up immediately.  (The same thing happens when I make any changes to the xml on my local server and view it locally.)  The only time this caching problem seems to come up seems to be when viewing remotely, in any browser.  That alone implies to me that it isn't the browser, and since it isn't caching on the server itself, then it seems the only remaining answer is that something in between the server and the local machine is caching it. . .  (but that doesn't make any sense).  I'm not sure what the answer is yet on this one, but it's puzzling. 

Any help from the actual moderators on this one?  Can anyone familiar with the actual code tell us if the time stamps will affect whether it reloads the xml?

(thanks for keeping this going miriam, hopefully we'll work it out. . .)