Topic: Replacing Images

Hi. Is it possible to replace an existing image with another, but retain all the caption and link info?

Re: Replacing Images

Just swap the old image in your gallery's 'image' folder with the new image with the same filename.
Do the same for the corresponding thumbnail in the 'thumbs' folder.

Otherwise, in svBuilder-Pro, you would need to add the new image on the 'Images' tab, copy and paste the caption and link info from the old image to the new image, delete the old image and then move the new image into the old image's position.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Am I wrong, but to upload the pics manually, wouldn't one need to first resize larger images to match the replaced ones and crop and resize the thumbnails too, using a Photoshop-type program?

If adding images to an existing gallery manually and your original images are very large, then yes, it would be recommended to resize them to a more suitable size for web gallery use in an image manipulation program (such as Adobe Photoshop) before uploading them to your gallery's 'images' folder.

Steven Speirs

Thanks Steven. Because there are a lot of images to replace in this instance the amount of work is crazy. My own best guess would be this:
1. Add all your new pics to the existing gallery using the SimpleViewer program but make sure you add an extension to the name before uploading (i.e. old name: "Waterlight1", new name: "Waterlight1a"). They will end up at the bottom.
2. Then cut and paste from the top pics into the bottom pics.
3. Delete all the top pics and entries.
4. Delete the whole existing gallery from the website using FTP.
5. Upload everything again from the new updated gallery on your computer.

Still a lot of work. Any chance SimpleViewer might add a simple "Replace Photo" feature in the next version?

It might be easier to use svBuilder-Pro (with a test gallery not related to your actual live gallery) to generate your replacement images (with the same filenames as the original images) and re-upload only the changed images to your web server.
If the replacement images have the same names as the original images, then there would be no need to update and re-upload the gallery's XML file.

Steven Speirs

Steven -

Thanks for the very good reply. This would work too. However, I am still holding out for an "automatic-drag-and-drop" version in the future! In the meantime we'll do what is necessary. smile