Topic: Client's site breaks everytime Plugin is updated

I have a very upset client.
I added his site to my Infinite WP admin panel so that I could keep his WordPress site and plugins updated
This is the second time that Simpleviewer has updated and I've been left with a mess

after updating Simpleviewer a bunch of the galleries have now vanished

for example http://mavericklumber.ca/portfolio/tables/item-no-0100/
there is no gallery showing on the page
the images are there
the gallery exists in the simpleviewer galleries
the shortcode is on the page

The only way I see to resolve this is to create a new gallery and delete the old one.

Why is this happening?  Is it because the galleries were created before WordPress made so many gallery changes in 3.5?

I find it so frustrating that this plugin needs the swf file uploaded each time... and that it keeps breaking.

Last edited by dandelionweb (2013-02-27 20:32:23)

Re: Client's site breaks everytime Plugin is updated

As I recreate the galleries I'm getting xml error unless I first create a WordPress native gallery of images already uploaded to the page. Then add the simpleviewer one. 

Any ideas what is going on?

after updating Simpleviewer a bunch of the galleries have now vanished

I notice that the SimpleViewer gallery on the page you provided a link to has empty strings for the width and height of the gallery.
I have not seen this before or had a user report this before so I do not know what might be causing it. Also, there is no setting within WP-SimpleViewer that would modify multiple galleries in a single action and upgrading the plugin does not modify the existing XML files.
However, if you go to the 'SimpleViewer -> Manage Galleries' page, edit Gallery #49 and insert a width and height before saving the settings, your gallery should display on your page.

If you have many galleries that are missing width and height entries, you could fix them all by doing the following:
(1) Download all XML files within the 'wp-content/uploads/' folder
(2) Open all the XML files in a text editor which can handle many files at once (such as Notepad++)
(3) Do a global search for e_g_width="" (across all files) and replace all instances of the string with e_g_width="100%"
(4) Do likewise for e_g_height="", replacing all instances of the string with e_g_height="600px"
(5) Save all the files
(6) Upload all the XML files to their original location ('wp-content/uploads/')

Why is this happening?  Is it because the galleries were created before WordPress made so many gallery changes in 3.5?

No. This is not the problem. Although WordPress introduced many changes in the Media module in v3.5, behind the scenes, things have not changed as far as WP-SimpleViewer is concerned (images attached to the post will be displayed in the gallery). The new Media interface just changes the way that users attach images to the post.

As I recreate the galleries I'm getting xml error unless I first create a WordPress native gallery of images already uploaded to the page. Then add the simpleviewer one.

There should be no need to create a WordPress gallery first. You should be able to create a SimpleViewer gallery by following the WordPress v3.5 instructions here.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Could it be that the plugin update overwrote my default gallery settings in the config.php file?

Is there somewhere to set my gallery defaults to prevent an overwrite?

Could it be that the plugin update overwrote my default gallery settings in the config.php file?

WP-SimpleViewer does not include a file named 'config.php'.
However, when updating the plugin, all WP-SimpleViewer files are replaced so if you have made any modifications to any of the plugin's source files, they will be overwritten.

Is there somewhere to set my gallery defaults to prevent an overwrite?

Go to 'SimpleViewer -> Manage Galleries -> Set Defaults' from the WordPress Dashboard.
Currently, the defaults file is stored in the plugin folder and will also be overwritten when updating the plugin. This will be fixed in the next version of WP-SimpleViewer (although this is not the cause of your gallery widths and heights disappearing).

Steven Speirs

well there certainly is a config.php file in my files and at one point that was where I set my defaults... maybe it's a hold over from before I used the WP plugin. 

My widths were all set in the shortcode - [simpleviewer gallery_id="8" bgcolor="ffffff" gallery_width ="100%" gallery_height ="600"]  guess I'm working from an old way of doing things.

Thanks for showing me where defaults belong now.

It looks like you were using an old version of WP-SimpleViewer (prior to v2.1.2).
The gallery dimensions should now be set in the gallery settings window and the only attribute in the shortcode should be the 'gallery_id'.
Once you give each gallery dimensions (by a bulk global search and replace on the XML files), all your galleries should be fine with the current version of the plugin.

Steven Speirs