Topic: Can't activate plugin

I'm trying to activate the plugin and get every time the error-message:

WP-SimpleViewer cannot assign full access permissions (777) to the wp-content/uploads folder.

But all permissions of uploads  are on 777 even of all sub-folders. Every other upload works. I deactivated every other plugin but still no success.. (wp-version 3.5.1, wp-simpleviewer.2.3.2.1). What could cause this problem?

I'd appreciate any help!!

Re: Can't activate plugin

Trying to solve this, and having not yet much content, I even reinstalled whole wordpress, but nothing changed.
Is there a way to create manually the folder in 'uploads', the plugin wants to create? What would be the name of the folder? And would I have to tell the database somehow, that the folder exists? (I'm not experienced with database..)

Try opening the 'wp-simpleviewer/wp-simpleviewer.php' file in a plain text editor and deleting lines 1024 to 1033 (inclusive).

Is there a way to create manually the folder in 'uploads', the plugin wants to create?

Yes. You can create a folder named 'juicebox' in your 'wp-content/uploads/' directory and manually assign it permissions of 777 using an FTP program such as Filezilla.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

It worked!
Thanks a lot!!

Steven Speirs wrote:

Try opening the 'wp-simpleviewer/wp-simpleviewer.php' file in a plain text editor and deleting lines 1024 to 1033 (inclusive).

Is there a way to create manually the folder in 'uploads', the plugin wants to create?

Yes. You can create a folder named 'juicebox' in your 'wp-content/uploads/' directory and manually assign it permissions of 777 using an FTP program such as Filezilla.

Have you try to count numbers with notepad from 0 to 1024?

Instead of telling us to count the lines 1024 40 1033 with notepad, why not just post the deleted codes for our convenience?

I would recommend using a text editor which features line numbering such as Notepad++ (which is free).

The code I referred to by line numbers above is as follows:

if (substr(sprintf('%o', fileperms($gallery_path)), -4) !== 0777) {
    $old = umask(0);
    if (!@chmod($gallery_path, 0777)) {
        sv_display_error_message('<strong>WP-SimpleViewer</strong> cannot assign full access permissions (777) to the <strong>wp-content/uploads</strong> folder. Please do this manually.<br>Plugin <strong>deactivated</strong>.', E_USER_ERROR);
    }
    @umask($old);
    if ($old !== umask()) {
        sv_display_error_message('<strong>WP-SimpleViewer</strong> cannot cannot change back the umask after assigning full access permissions (777) to the <strong>wp-content/uploads</strong> folder.', E_USER_ERROR);
    }
}
Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thank.

I resolved this problem by install older version after moving to a new server and then upgrade with the latest version.

Rgds