Topic: PDF embed: scaling issue

I am embedding simple viewer pro slideshow in a PDF document. I want to get the slideshow to scale relative to the user's page view size. I know there is a way to do it with Flex, but I do not have this product. Please advise if there is some script that could be added to the gallery.xml file to scale with the page view.

thanks,
Lynne

Re: PDF embed: scaling issue

Try following the instructions in this forum thread.
When I embed a SimpleViewer gallery (whose dimensions are 100% x 100%) in a PDF file following the instructions, the gallery scales correctly (both up and down) when the user zooms in and out of the page.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

I have followed those isntruction, by my gallery is not scaling correctly. The thumbnails are a static size at any view. The main image scales down, but around 35% or so, stuff starts getting cropped out due to the thumbs not scaling. My challenge is that the slideshow is part of a larger page with other static elements around it.

The gallery itself scales OK and the elements within the gallery adjust accordingly, just like when viewing an embedded gallery in an HTML page (such as this one) and adjusting the browser's zoom. The thumbnails do not increase in size in this instance either.
Unfortunately, I do not think it is possible to zoom in or out of a gallery (either within an HTML web page or a PDF file) as if it were a static snapshot of itself.

Steven Speirs

That is not my experience. When I set the thumbnail parameter in SimpleViewer Pro to be 50 pixels because I find the ones in the modern template to be too big, they become un-scalable. I am setting the thumbnail size in the Images tab. The rest of the slideshow scales while the thumbs remain static at 50 pixels. Is there another way to reduce the size of the thumbnails in the Customize tab instead of the Images tab so these thumbs scale with the rest of the slideshow when embedded in my pdf?

When I said above that 'the gallery itself scales OK', I also added that 'the thumbnails do not increase in size'.
In other words, thumbnails never change in size in a SimpleViewer gallery embedded in an HTML page (whether the gallery dynamically resizes when the user resizes the browser window or when the user changes the page's zoom value). This behavior is consistent with a SimpleViewer gallery embedded in a PDF file when the user changes the file's zoom value. The thumbnails always remain at the size determined by the thumbWidth and thumbHeight configuration options. This cannot be changed.

I am setting the thumbnail size in the Images tab. The rest of the slideshow scales while the thumbs remain static at 50 pixels.

This happens by design. The main image dynamically resizes but the thumbnails remain at the thumbWidth and thumbHeight dimensions.

Is there another way to reduce the size of the thumbnails in the Customize tab instead of the Images tab so these thumbs scale with the rest of the slideshow when embedded in my pdf?

No. When you set the thumbnail dimensions on the 'Images' tab, svBuilder-Pro creates thumbnails at the specified size and sets the thumbWidth and thumbHeight configuration options accordingly. There is no other way to set the thumbnail dimensions or to have them scale dynamically when the size of the gallery is changed (by a change of browser window size or by zooming).

Steven Speirs

Okay. Now i have a user who gets the message that her Flash version doesn't support the slideshow. She is on 11.5.502.135 on windows platform. I suppose i could export without flash, but would like to know why she got that message.

Please upload your gallery somewhere and post a link so that I can take a look.

Steven Speirs

it is embedded in the pdf at this link. First slideshow appears on p 4.

http://www.lynnelasser.com/infor_travel_i.pdf

It looks like the current version of Adobe Reader requires the plugin version of Flash Player to be installed (the version used by browsers such as Firefox) rather than the ActiveX version (used by Internet Explorer).
If your user uses Internet Explorer as her web browser, it is possible that she does not have the plugin version of Flash Player installed on her system.
Ask your user to go to this web page: http://get2.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/
... where she can select her operating system and then select 'Flash Player 11 for Other Browsers'.

Steven Speirs