Topic: embed gallery to link to cloud

Cant get my gallery to work.  rats

thinking that it might actually be that I have uploaded the gallery folder to bitcasa.

Ive used the BaseURL method and point the paths to the bitcasa gallery I uploaded

but I think maybe that bitcasa requires a password/login to access the folders.

so , the gallery cant load as it cant get past that to the gallery folder.  (just guessing)

can i pass that data somehow, so I can see the gallery.

(where the website is hosted,, I can only upload pix)

thanks

Re: embed gallery to link to cloud

(where the website is hosted,, I can only upload pix)

If that is the case (and you are not able to upload the resource files required for a SimpleViewer gallery), then you would need to host your gallery elsewhere and embed it into your Bitcasa web page using an iframe.
Please see the Embedding in a Web Template Site instructions for details.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

you would need to host your gallery elsewhere

....that's why I placed the folder of simpleviewer files on Bitcasa.  The problem is that to link to it, I need to pass the user/password in the embedding code and I know not how to do this yet.

It sounds like you are using Bitcasa to host your SimpleViewer gallery but that your main web page (into which you are trying to embed your gallery) is hosted elsewhere.
If this is the case, then you will not be able to use a baseURL. You will need to load your gallery into an iframe, documented as Option #2 here.
However, in order for this to work, Bitcasa would need to provide a public link to your gallery's 'index.html' file (which you would use as the 'src' attribute of your iframe). If Bitcasa are not able to do this (and require a password login to access the file), then you would need to find an alternative host for your SimpleViewer gallery, such as Dropbox.

According to this Bitcasa forum thread, it is not possible to embed a single image stored on Bitcasa into a web page.
If this is the case, then it would certainly not be possible to embed a complete SimpleViewer gallery whose files are stored on Bitcasa.

Steven Speirs

Hi Steven,

bitcasa did suggest a workaround but it really isn't feasible for the effort required.  (Too many galleries to do)
I hadnt found the thread you point  to, thanks.   

I'll look into your dropbox suggestion, that might be the solution for this.

thanks  again

I tried uploading the simpleviewer gallery generated folder to dropbox as you suggested Steven.  I then tried linking using both of the methods described, iframe and not- but neither worked.

are you sure dropbox would work?  the dropbox folder is shared and I tried both the link to path and the directory path.   Neither of the 4 ways worked for me.

how do people host their galleries?

neutral

really discouraging

are you sure dropbox would work?

Yes. Here is a SimpleViewer-Standard v2.3.1 gallery hosted entirely on Dropbox. [Gallery removed.]
Here is the same gallery loaded into an iframe in a page on a different domain using the following <iframe> code:

<iframe src="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/[User ID removed.]/web/index.html" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

how do people host their galleries?

You could sign up for a hosting account with a regular web host (rather than a file sharing service or cloud storage provider) and upload your gallery folder to your web space there using a traditional FTP program such as Filezilla. There are many web hosts which offer free web space which would be suitable. Try a web search with terms such as 'free web hosting'. Please be aware that often, you get what you pay for with free web hosting and if you pay for an upgraded web hosting package, you will likely receive better support and the web server will likely have less down-time.
The Dropbox solution is an alternative for those who do not have web space provided by a standard web host (and may create their web sites in a browser interface using ready-made templates).

Steven Speirs

thanks for your patience Steven.

I guess the question this is more from the dropbox side.

Ive uploaded the folder and linked that folder.
I cant find the Public folder written about here in a previous post.

yet when I try to get the link this is what I get.

Ive never gotten the https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com  pointer, mine is always to https://www.dropbox.com/sh ....

if i get that link from the dropbox website  it gives me   //.....xxxx  and if id the same from the folder in the dropbox on my computer it gives //.....xxxxv=0swn-

so obviously i don't know where you have been able to grab the link path on dropbox.

Im using weebly to generate the website, so its on a modified template, and although i am willing to use a web hosting like godaddy, i believe that will mean headaches when generating the template from weebly as I believe weebly hosts my files that I use.  Weebly isnt adverse to the the uploading a folder idea, but there isnt enough demand yet to implement it.

so back to dropbox.  Am i obviously missing something in the link path?  do you need to add the website address as an import contact ?

thanks again

darn,   your path works in weebly  ... so its my path or dropbox settings

dropbox no longer has a Public folder, but you can activate that feature, but since 2012 it has been included in the right clic options.   Ive tried placing the folder there in Public but to no avail, 
Yet every file in the folder has its own link path, so how does it maintain the file structure?  if  I link directly to the index.html link path, how will that find the other files?

how did you get your original link path ?- cause your gallery does work for me when I plug it into weebly as a test.

Last edited by Gam (2013-05-18 12:11:00)

I cant find the Public folder written about here in a previous post.

If your Dropbox account does not currently have a Public folder, then you can create one by following the 'Creating a Public folder' instructions on this web page.

how did you get your original link path ?

After dragging and dropping the gallery folder into my Dropbox Public folder (using the Dropbox application on my computer rather than the Dropbox browser interface), I navigated inside the gallery folder (in the Public folder), right-clicked the 'index.html' file and selected the 'Copy public link' option (which copied the URL to the clipboard).

Steven Speirs

Steven!

thanks so much!  The public gallery link works!  I always had another link never that one appear .

now Ive editing to do , but you've gotten me through the process.  Most kind thanks.

thanks for the patience! 

cheers

Last edited by Gam (2013-05-20 10:31:26)