Topic: Bug/Annoyance: 404 messages in server log when using capital extension

Hi,

I keep seeing 404 errors in my server logs which, for one thing, is quite annoying, but it also distracts from the real problems on the server.

Here is a (modified) example:
[Sat May 18 21:35:38 2013] [error] [client 176.198.205.xxx] File does not exist: /var/www/mysite.tld/web/somefolder/images/IMGP1185_crop.jpg, referer: http://mysite.tld/somefolder/svcore/swf … viewer.swf

The correct image name is not "IMGP1185_crop.jpg" but "IMGP1185_crop.JPG". It is also stored this way (uppercase extension) in gallery.xml, but the SimpleGallery applet still tries to open the URL with "lower-cased" extension for every single image before or after it sends the correct request to the server.

Don't get me wrong, the Gallery shows up correctly in the browser, but the applet clutters up the server log with unnecessary error messages.

If this is done on purpose (maybe compatibility with webservers working on strange filesystems...) then it would be great to have an option to turn off this behavior. As a side effect, the loading of images and thumbs in the browser might even be sped up since only two instead of four requests are sent to the server for every picture.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Alex

Re: Bug/Annoyance: 404 messages in server log when using capital extension

Is it possible that you might have your thumbURL listed as IMGP1185_crop.jpg but your imageURL listed as IMGP1185_crop.JPG?
This would create an error 404 in your server log (as the thumbURL would not exist) but the gallery would still display OK as SimpleViewer would use the imageURL for both the image and the thumbnail.

If this does not sound like a plausible explanation for your scenario, then please post the URL to your gallery so that I can take a look.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Re: Bug/Annoyance: 404 messages in server log when using capital extension

Hi Steven,

thanks for your quick reply!

While writing my post I simply changed everything to lowecase (using batch tools and not keeping backups, so I can't tell anymore in what way everything was changed) to get rid of the messages. But looking at the old server logs your explanation might actually be correct: I only have 404s for thumbs, but none for the images.

Thanks for making me feel less smart now... :-(
:-)))

Best regards
Alex

Last edited by Alestrix (2013-05-18 23:05:33)