Topic: Image Quality etc

Hi there,

really cool software(s)! I have some questions/ problems, though.

1. The main problem is that the images oversharpen when "Use Flash" is set to true (thumbs

seem to be ok). Some images get jagged edges etc. How can I fix that?

Oversharpen Image: http://www.mauricewrede.de/digital2d/

Image as it should be: http://www.mauricewrede.de/warMachines.jpg

2. How can I set a separation line between gallery and footer?

3. In the navigation some letters like "p" and "g" seem to be cropped below when using a font

like Verdana.

4. Hovering over gallery thumb "digital2D" and "digital3D" causes a slight "shrinking" of the

image shown. I saw that effect in your demo "Sarah Lee" too. However, the first thumb image is not

effected by that.

5. When I put my own gallery thumbs in data--> thumbcache they will be replaced by gallery

thumbs after updating. Is there a way to avoid that and keep my own thumbs?

Okay, I think that this was it for today:) Thanks in advance!

p.s. I used showkase 1.0.4 and simpleviewer pro 2.3.1 to create the site.

Re: Image Quality etc

1. The main problem is that the images oversharpen when "Use Flash" is set to true (thumbs

seem to be ok). Some images get jagged edges etc. How can I fix that?

Oversharpen Image: http://www.mauricewrede.de/digital2d/

Image as it should be: http://www.mauricewrede.de/warMachines.jpg

The effect you are seeing may be lessened by reducing the resolution of your image (and Adobe Flash Player will not have to scale it down as much as it currently does to fit into the gallery's image area).
Alternatively, you could change the quality Flash parameter (as documented here). By default, a Flash presentation will use the 'high' quality setting. You could force SimpleViewer to use the 'best' quality setting as follows.
(1) Open the following Showkase template page (depending on which theme you use) in a plain text editor:

\showkase\_themes\boma\pagetypes\simpleviewer.tpl
\showkase\_themes\kosel\pagetypes\simpleviewer.tpl
\showkase\_themes\zero\pagetypes\simpleviewer.tpl

Search the file for:

var params = {};

... create a new line beneath this code and enter:

params.quality="best";

Now go to 'Pages -> Edit Gallery Page -> Advanced -> Rebuild this SimpleViewer Gallery'.

2. How can I set a separation line between gallery and footer?

You could edit the same page as above and add <hr> before the opening <footer> tag.

3. In the navigation some letters like "p" and "g" seem to be cropped below when using a font
http://www.simpleviewer.net/forum/exten … en/url.png
like Verdana.

Thank you for reporting. I have notified the developers of this problem and it should hopefully be fixed in the next version of Showkase.

4. Hovering over gallery thumb "digital2D" and "digital3D" causes a slight "shrinking" of the

image shown. I saw that effect in your demo "Sarah Lee" too. However, the first thumb image is not

effected by that.

I do not see this shrinking effect when I view your gallery in Firefox 21, Chrome 27, IE10 or Safari 5.1.7.
Hovering over a link on your web page should not affect the display of any images within a Flash presentation (such as your SimpleViewer gallery) on the same page.
What browser(s) do you see this effect in?

5. When I put my own gallery thumbs in data--> thumbcache they will be replaced by gallery

thumbs after updating. Is there a way to avoid that and keep my own thumbs?

No. Showkase was not designed with such functionality in mind (to allow users to upload their own thumbnails to the '\showkase\_data\thumbcache\' folder). The best solution would probably be to keep your own custom thumbnails in a separate location and replace the thumbnails in the '\showkase\_data/thumbcache\' folder with your own as and when required.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi Steven,

thanks a lot for your help!  smile

1. The quality of the images seems to be good now. It is set to "best" and the jagged effect is reduced to a minimum. I will test it with other images later.

2. The separation line doesn't work properly. It's shown in the gallery pages and the contact page but there's no line in any of the others. Furthermore the line has some sort of "blur" and isn't as crisp as the 1px line above (seen in Chrome/Safari/IE; the line between header/content works well). The bottom line looks good in Firefox though.

3. Any tipps for the logo in IE? It looks oversharpen there but fine in all other browsers.

4. Shrinking Images: In Firefox 21 the right border of thumb 2+3 moves slightly to the left side; in Chrome 27 the first thumb is effected by that; in IE 10 no problems, in Safari 5.1.2 no problems. In demo "Sarah Lee" I noticed this scaling in all thumbs except from "Underwater"; in Chrome "Black&White", "Underwater" and "Landscape" are ok, the rest scales. IE and Safari are working well on that.

The separation line doesn't work properly. It's shown in the gallery pages and the contact page but there's no line in any of the others.

When you said "How can I set a separation line between gallery and footer?" I thought you wanted it only on your gallery pages. If you want a horizontal line above the footer in all pages, add it to the top of your footer by going to 'Site -> Site Settings' and changing:

© copyright

... to:

<hr>© copyright

... in the 'Page Footer' text field.

Furthermore the line has some sort of "blur" and isn't as crisp as the 1px line above (seen in Chrome/Safari/IE; the line between header/content works well). The bottom line looks good in Firefox though.

My suggestion uses a standard HTML <hr> tag.
You could enclose your footer in a div and style the div with a top border by entering the following code into the 'Page Footer' text field:

<div style="border-top: 1px solid #333333; height: 50px;"><br>© copyright</div>

Any tipps for the logo in IE? It looks oversharpen there but fine in all other browsers.

Different browsers use different rescaling algorithms and this may result in images looking slightly different cross-browser.
Try resizing your logo image (it is currently 586px x 292px) before feeing it to Showkase so that it will be displayed closer to its actual size and browsers do not have to rescale it as much as they currently do.

Shrinking Images: In Firefox 21 the right border of thumb 2+3 moves slightly to the left side; in Chrome 27 the first thumb is effected by that; in IE 10 no problems, in Safari 5.1.2 no problems. In demo "Sarah Lee" I noticed this scaling in all thumbs except from "Underwater"; in Chrome "Black&White", "Underwater" and "Landscape" are ok, the rest scales. IE and Safari are working well on that.

Sorry. I thought you were talking about the links in the navigation menu. I see the slight change in image size when hovering over the thumbnail images on a Gallery Index page in Chrome 27 and Firefox 21 and have notified the developers of this.

Steven Speirs

Hi Steven,

thank you so much for your support - it's really much appreciated!

The separation line doesn't work properly. It's shown in the gallery pages and the contact page but there's no line in any of the others.

When you said "How can I set a separation line between gallery and footer?" I thought you wanted it only on your gallery pages.

Sorry for this little misunderstanding; it was my fault. Sometimes it's not reccommended to think and write simultaneously wink

Different browsers use different rescaling algorithms and this may result in images looking slightly different cross-browser.
Try resizing your logo image (it is currently 586px x 292px) before feeing it to Showkase so that it will be displayed closer to its actual size and browsers do not have to rescale it as much as they currently do.

Minimizing the logo made it in IE 10:)

There is just one thing that still annoys me: the width of some text areas. It breaks on approximately half of the content area on pages "Welcome" and "About". It works fine on "Contact" though.

p.s. I will wait for the next version...the font cropping and thumb shrinking are minor problems...

p.p.s really good support: fast and efficient!

Last edited by nehrebus (2013-06-16 10:17:12)

There is just one thing that still annoys me: the width of some text areas. They break on approximately half of the content area on pages "Welcome" and "About". It works fine on "Contact" though.

To increase the width of the content column on an 'About' page in the Kosel theme, open the \showkase\_themes\kosel\css\styles.css file in a plain text editor and increase the width and max-width values on line 601-602.
To do the same for a 'Basic' page, change the max-width value on line 551 of the same file.
Please note that the line numbers refer to the current version of Showkase (v1.0.4).

Edit:
Alternatively, rather than modify the styles.css file, you could add the required CSS (below) to the \showkase\_themes\kosel\css\custom.css file. Any CSS in the custom.css file will take precedence over the styles.css file.

body.type-basic section.content p,
body.type-basic section.content h1,
body.type-basic section.content h2,
body.type-basic section.content h3,
body.type-basic section.content h4,
body.type-basic section.content h5,
body.type-basic section.content h6,
body.type-basic section.content ul,
body.type-basic section.content ol,
body.type-basic section.content dl {
    max-width: 560px;
}

div.profile {
    width: 55%;
    max-width: 560px;
}
Steven Speirs

Hi Steven,

again, thanks a lot! Right now I'm not sure wheter to stick with the default settings or to increase the width: ) Anyway, it's good to now how to change it - just in case:)