Topic: Use of imageClickMode, linkURL and linkTarget

I have been scouring the FAQ area, experimenting with various configurations and have tested using both local and website located files with IE, Chrome, Firefox and Safari for many hours.

I can't get my chosen URL to open when I click on the configured image. I am now a little confused because whilst in the main V2 documentation it clearly states that this configuration can be used to open a URL when the "image is clicked" I have just found an entry in another FAQ advising that this function only works when the use clicks on the "Open in new window" button.

Would you please clarify this for me because I really need this functionality.

Thank you

Brian Jones

Just in case you need to see the configuration I am using: -

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<simpleviewergallery

useFlickr="false"
    resizeOnImport="true"
    cropToFit="false"
    useFlash="false"
    thumbPosition="NONE"
    showOpenButton="false"
    showFullscreenButton="false"
    imageTransitionType="SLIDE"
    showBackButton="true"
    backgroundColor="0066FF"
    imageClickMode="OPEN_URL"
    backButtonText="Exit"

>
  <image imageURL="images/CAR001 - Cromer Pier Steps.jpg"
    thumbURL="thumbs/CAR001 - Cromer Pier Steps.jpg"
    linkURL="http://www.google.co.uk"
    linkTarget="_blank">
    <caption><![CDATA[]]></caption>
  </image>

Re: Use of imageClickMode, linkURL and linkTarget

When setting imageClickMode="OPEN_URL", the entire main image (as well as the Open Image button on the Button Bar) will act as a link to the corresponding linkURL which will be opened in the designated linkTarget tab/window.

The code you posted should work fine but only when uploaded to a web server (and not locally) due to an Adobe Flash security restriction.

If it does not work for yourself, try clearing your browser's cache to ensure that your browser is not hanging onto and using older versions of your gallery files.

If you continue to experience difficulties, please post the URL to your gallery so that I can take a look and help further.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Sorry, I am missing something here. I have tried the configuration with the showOpenButton set to true and false. When set to true I can open the URL by clicking the open button but clicking the image just causes the next image in the gallery to display.

I am using the "google.co.uk" for testing I actually want to use images in a parent gallery to be used as links to sub-galleries.

You mention flash - I am not using flash (I have useFlash="false" but I have just tried the test with this set to "true" without any success.

This is the link to my test page

www.brianjonesphotography.co.uk/Cards/index.htm

imageClickMode is a configuration option used only by the Flash Player (and not by the Mobile Player).
The Mobile Player supports fewer options than the Flash Player.
The configuration options supported by the Mobile Player can be found here.

Steven Speirs

Thanks for the update.

Have I missed this absolutely vital bit of information from the simpleViewer documentation and FAQs?????

I have had for some time a well received Flash based Wall Gallery and all the work I have been putting into using SimpleViewer is not to make my website work effectively on a mobile but because increasingly my customers are wanting to view items using an iPad which, as you are aware, does not support Flash.

Incidentally, I have just rebuilt the gallery with useFlash set to true and the feature still does not appear to work but given the limitations yo have described I need to look at a different approach to the problem.

Thank you for the support and supplied information.

Have I missed this absolutely vital bit of information from the simpleViewer documentation and FAQs?????

Please see this FAQ:
The mobile player layout does not match the Flash player layout. Why not?

If you want a more configurable HTML 5 image gallery (which features many more configuration options which will work on mobile devices than the SimpleViewer Mobile Player does), then you might like to take a look at another one of our products - Juicebox.

For information on the differences between SimpleViewer and Juicebox (and for details on how to get a discount coupon code for SimpleViewer-Pro users), please see this SimpleViewer news article.

Incidentally, I have just rebuilt the gallery with useFlash set to true and the feature still does not appear to work but given the limitations yo have described I need to look at a different approach to the problem.

Try clearing your browser's cache to ensure that your browser is not hanging onto and using older versions of your gallery files.

Steven Speirs