Topic: SimpleViewer Overview Questions

Hello

I'm considering Simple Viewer, but still need answers I can't find on the website and I thought I would try here.

• Does SV Builder do more than just using the Lightroom plugin? i.e., how do the 2 paths differ?
• Does SimpleViewer involve installing an application on my server?
• Is SV Builder included with purchase of Simple Viewer Pro?

Thanks Much
Pesky

Last edited by pesky (2013-06-27 17:35:01)

Re: SimpleViewer Overview Questions

Does SV Builder do more than just using the Lightroom plugin?

svBuilder and the Lightroom plugin (TTG SimpleViewer) are unconnected.
Both svBuilder and TTG SimpleViewer are alternative methods of creating individual SimpleViewer galleries.
(Other methods of creating a SimpleViewer gallery can be found here.)
If you are looking for a software package which is capable of creating a complete portfolio web site incorporating SimpleViewer galleries, then you might like to take a look at another one of our products - Showkase.
Showkase can be purchased as Showkase-Standard, which comes with SimpleViewer-Standard and Juicebox-Lite (the free versions), or Showkase-Pro, which comes with SimpleViewer-Pro and Juicebox-Pro.

Is SV Builder included with purchase of Simple Viewer Pro?

SimpleViewer-Standard (the free version) comes with svBuilder and can be downloaded from the link on this web page.
SimpleViewer-Pro comes with svBuilder-Pro and can be purchased from the same web page.

Does SimpleViewer involve installing an application on my server?

No. svBuilder and svBuilder-Pro are desktop applications which allow you to create and edit galleries on your computer before uploading the galleries themselves to your web server (you would need web space with a web hosting company and an FTP program such as Filezilla).

However, Showkase is a PHP web application which must be uploaded to your web server. Showkase uses a web browser interface.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thanks Much, S.
Showkase does look great, but I just need the best galleries to embed in my site made with Freeway.

I like a lot of control over the gallery attributes, and like having LR generate my images. In general, does SV Builder Pro offer any options not present in the LR (pro) plugin, or is it just meant to be an alternative?

Thanks
Pesky

The interface of svBuilder-Pro allows you to set all SimpleViewer-Pro Config Options.
The interface of TTG SimpleViewer does not. It allows you to set only SimpleViewer-Standard Config Options. If you wanted to incorporate Pro options into a gallery created with TTG SimpleViewer, you would have to either edit the gallery afterwards with svBuilder-Pro or edit the gallery's XML file in a plain text editor and add the Pro options manually as attributes to the opening <simpleviewergallery> tag.
This is documented on this web page:

Take note, the TTG SimpleViewer engine will only ever offer options permitted by the SimpleViewer free version. To customize Pro galleries created with the TTG SimpleViewer engine, open the published gallery with the svBuilder-Pro application.

Steven Speirs

Thanks Steven

Excellent answer- tells me I need Pro!

Thanks
Pesky

I have purchased SV Pro, looks great, but I don't see SimpleViewer Pro in there.
Perhaps I'm a bit unclear on the relationship between the 2. In fact you could say I'm downright confused.
Your site could use a concise description of the process for newbies, in one place.

Also, I see on one of the Support pages reference to embedding Simple Viewer on a site. Is this different from embedding a gallery?

Thanks
Pesky

Frustration mounting, I am trying to install the LR Plugin using the instructions below from the download page:

Replace the svcore folder in the ttg_simpleviewer-2.lrwebengine package with the one from the Pro download. To do this:
Copy the /web/svcore/ folder from the Pro download folder.
Paste it to the ttg_simpleviewer-2.lrwebengine folder, replacing the existing svcore folder. Where this folder is depends on your OS:
On Mac: Users/username/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Web Galleries/. [Note: To browse inside the package, use ctrl-click and select "Show Package Contents"]

However, my download did not contain any folders or SV core, just the TTG_SimpleViewer.lrwebengine file
SO  I CANNOT INSTALL. WHAT do I do with this thing?

Frustration Mounting. I have spent an entire day trying to make sense of the various programs and downloads from SimpleViewer
and Turning Gate, and I am as confused as ever and still do not have an up-to-date LR plugin, which should not be that hard!
HELP!

Now my frustration is really mounting.

HOW DO I GET THE CURRENT PRO LR PLUGIN IN TO MY LIGHTROOM!???

AGAIN, my TTG_SimpleViewer.lrwebengine is not a folder, but a file.

-Pesky

Also, I see on one of the Support pages reference to embedding Simple Viewer on a site. Is this different from embedding a gallery?

"Embedding SimpleViewer" always refers to embedding a SimpleViewer gallery. There is nothing else relating to SimpleViewer (other than a gallery) that can be embedded in a web page.

However, my download did not contain any folders or SV core, just the TTG_SimpleViewer.lrwebengine file
SO  I CANNOT INSTALL. WHAT do I do with this thing?

The SimpleViewer-Pro download zip package contains the 'svcore' folder (amongst other files). Please see here for a list of files and folders included in the SimpleViewer-Pro download zip package. (The 'svcore' folder is located inside the 'web' folder.)
The TTG SimpleViewer download zip package contains only the 'TTG_SimpleViewer.lrwebengine' folder.
You should use the 'svcore' folder from the SimpleViewer-Pro download zip package ('simpleviewer_pro_231/web/svcore/') to upgrade TTG SimpleViewer from SimpleViewer-Standard (which it comes bundled with) to SimpleViewer-Pro.
As well as The Turning Gate instructions for upgrading here, we have instructions for upgrading on our own site here.

AGAIN, my TTG_SimpleViewer.lrwebengine is not a folder, but a file.

This sounds like you might be using a Mac, in which case, to browse inside the package, use Ctrl-click and select "Show Package Contents".

Steven Speirs