Topic: Wordpress plugin, iOS7, and responsive designs

We have a website, Stories.IllinoisState.edu, that utilizes a responsive design (and scripts). Everything worked perfectly on all devices until the iOS7 update came out. Now, the responsive scripts don't work on iOS7 only. Everything else works fine. We have isolate the conflict to your wordpress plug-in. When we turn it off, everything works perfectly. Has there been any other reports or any thoughts as to why there is a conflict? And if there will be an update soon?

Re: Wordpress plugin, iOS7, and responsive designs

There have been no other reports of such a problem.

Unfortunately, I do not have an iOS 7 device on which to test.
Perhaps if you could provide some more information, it might help to track down the cause of the problem.

• Does the problem occur simply by having WP-SimpleViewer activated (even without a gallery embedded) or does it happen only on pages which contain SimpleViewer galleries?

• Is WP-SimpleViewer the only plugin enabled when the problem occurs?

• Does the problem occur only in Mobile Safari or in Chrome, too?

• Does the problem occur under the default WordPress theme (or only under your own theme)?

• Could you please provide the URL of a web page which demonstrates this problem? (Without havng an iOS 7 device, I do not know which page or pages are affected.)

• Are you able to perhaps upload a screenshot somewhere so that I can see what you are seeing?

Thank you.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

I have the same problem with a site I'm building, http://www.trulybridalboutique.ie/. The site is responsive and everything works fine except on IOS7 when Simpleviewer is activated. I have moved the site to a new hosting platform and get the same results. Has there been a fix for this?

Are you able to upload a screenshot somewhere so that I can see the problem that you are seeing?
Also, do you see the problem in Chrome or just Mobile Safari?

Running your web pages through the W3C Markup Validation Service reveals several errors and warnings which may be contributing to your problem and should be fixed.
Once the code on your web page validates correctly, the page should be rendered with greater predictability and consistency across different browsers. Try fixing the validation issues on your web pages to see if this makes a difference.

Steven Speirs

There's no need for a screenshot, the responsive version of this site (or any other site we have using Simpleviewer) does not display on ios7 devices once the Simpleviewer plugin is activated, only the desktop version displays. Once we disable the plugin, it works fine. It happens in Chrome and Safari on iphones and ipads.

the responsive version of this site (or any other site we have using Simpleviewer) does not display on ios7 devices once the Simpleviewer plugin is activated

For clarification, are you saying that nothing is displayed (all you see is a blank white page) on any of your pages (whether they contain a SimpleViewer gallery or not) in any browser on iOS 7 when WP-SimpleViewer is activated? If so, I cannot think of any reason which might cause such an issue. WP-SimpleViewer loads only the 'simpleviewer.js' file in the web page and includes the gallery's JavaScript embedding code (just like embedding a SimpleViewer gallery in any other web page).

Are you able to view a SimpleViewer gallery on its own in iOS 7 such as this sample gallery?
If so, then there is something else at play other than just the iOS 7 factor (such as the code on your web page or a conflict between WP-SimpleViewer and your current WordPress theme or another plugin.)

What happens if you temporarily deactivate all plugins except for WP-SimpleViewer? Does the problem still occur? If not, then there may be a conflict between WP-SimpleViewer and another plugin, in which case, reactivate all your other plugins one-by-one (checking your site after each one) to see if you can find the cause of the conflict.

Also, what happens if you change your theme to one of the default WordPress themes, such as Twenty Thirteen?

Steven Speirs

The site is displayed but as a standard desktop site (not responsive). Once we disable the simple viewer plugin the responsive functionality returns. I have disabled all other plugins, tried different themes, different hosts etc but get the same results - it is definitely simple viewer that is causing the problem. We can't test it on the standard themes as they are not responsive.

Unfortunately, this will be hard for me to debug as I do not have an iOS 7 device or access to your theme (which is not free, so I cannot download it).

It is certainly a mystery why loading the 'simpleviewer.js' file should break the responsiveness of an entire web page but only in Chrome and Mobile Safari in iOS 7.

Running your first 'Wedding Dresses' gallery web page through the W3C Markup Validation Service (to check the page's HTML code) reports 65 errors and 90 warnings. I realise that your page seems to be rendered OK (even with these errors and warnings) without WP-SimpleViewer being active but what if the problem is somehow caused by a combination of these validation issues and WP-SimpleViewer (ie. the problem only appears when both the validation errors and present and WP-SimpleViewer is active)? How would the web page look if WP-SimpleViewer was active but there were no validation issues on the page? Perhaps you could tackle the validation issues to see if it makes a difference. (The errors should really be fixed.)

Additionally, running the same page through the W3C CSS Validator (to check the page's CSS code) reports 17 errors which, again, should be fixed. (The warnings reported are mainly browser-specific code and may not be such a problem.)

Also, it looks like you may not be using the latest version of your U-Design theme. (It looks like you are using v2.0.1.)
Try updating it to the current version (v2.1.0) to see if this helps.

Another thing you might like to try (just to see if the same thing happens) would be to use WP-Juicebox (an HTML image viewer) instead of WP-SimpleViewer.
I am not suggesting that you change image viewers but it might be interesting to see what happens when you deactivate WP-SimpleViewer and activate WP-Juicebox instead. (The interfaces are similar for both plugins so it should hopefully not take you long to create a test Juicebox gallery.)
WP-Juicebox can be downloaded from this web page.

Steven Speirs

Thanks Steven

I tried the juicebox gallery and it all works fine, problem is I've already bought the pro version of simple viewer, can you give me the pro version of juicebox instead?

Please check your email. I have sent you a message.

Steven Speirs