Topic: Adding Photos to Existing Galleries

How do you add photos (thumbs & images) to an EXISTING gallery using an automatic generator (iPhoto Export)?

Re: Adding Photos to Existing Galleries

hi,

by using iphoto-export, you find two folders in your export-directory, named "images" and "thumbs". copy these to your ftp-simple-viewer-directory on your webserver. upload your new xml-file as well.

best regards,

nusspli

Thanks for your reply.

Okay, I already knew to copy the new thumbs and images, but it's the new .xml that confuses me.  It obviously does not have info for the old images in the gallery.

How do I create the new .xml file so that it has data for the old and new images?

I understand that I can add the code myself, but this becomes too cumbersome if adding a large quantity pf new images.

i see your prob...

so you have to export all, old and new images, so that the xml-file contains all the data.

But doesn't that mean that I would have to go into the source files and make changes every time?  I have put the thumbs at the bottom, under the image (1 row, 5 columns) plus a few other changes.

I'm still getting confused (and ready to give up on Simpleviewer) about the process/folders to use and edit (iPhotoo vs. Simpleviewer).  Can you please clarify step-by-step?

1) Use iPhoto Export to generate thumbs, images, .xml file, etc.  Do I use iExport's index file or use one from Simpleviewer).

2)

3)

Are you using iPhoto Export?

ok... do your iphoto export and put the following files to your webserver:

- flash_detect.js
- gallery.xml
- images
- index.html
- thumbs
- viewer.swf

it should run like this way...

Let me clarify...........

The confusion lies within using files and folders from both iExport v1.7 and Simpleviewer-Pro v.1.8.

Yes, I use the iExport thumbs, images and .xml.  But I also want to change the appearance/layout of Simpleviewer-Pro.  The problem happens when I try to put it all together.

Which files from the SV-Pro download folder do I use and where do I put them to utilize the files created by iExport?

Are you in the USA?  I'm just about ready to give you my email or ph #.

no sorry, i´m from germany

Ok....no problem.  I'd be grateful if you could please answer my last post.  I have a deadline for my site and have wasted a lot of time trying to figure things out (only to learn after the fact that SV-PRo v1.8 is not compatible with iExport v1.7 (gallery.xml files, etc).  I like Simpleviewer-Pro but am about ready to give up and try another solution that is less epensive and comes with an on-line tutorial and comprehensive download pdf manual .

i don´t know if the xml-file from iphoto-export is exactly the same as the original one...

fact is, when you want to change the appearance of simple-viewer, you have to leave the original xml-file in your webfolder.

if it is not too much work, you could copy only the list of image and thumb names of iphoto into the original xml-file like this...

<image>
    <filename>115-1503_IMG.jpg</filename>
    <caption>Caption 1</caption>   
</image>
<image>
    <filename>IMG_0659.jpg</filename>
    <caption>Caption 2</caption>   
</image>
<image>
    <filename>115-1503_IMG.jpg</filename>
    <caption>Caption 3</caption>   
</image>

and so on...

and just leave the header in the org. xml

How do you add photos (thumbs & images) to an EXISTING gallery using an automatic generator (iPhoto Export)?

There are 2 options to update existing galleries:

1) Manually add your new images + thumbnails. Manually add your image entries to your gallery.xml.

2) Re-create your gallery automatically from scratch. I'm not sure how to preserve your gallery options between gallery builds. Check the docs for iPhoto Export: http://www.hagus.net/taxonomy/term/14

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Felix -

Have you actually looked at the iExport documentation that you often refer others to for problems?  There really is no supporting documentation..........unless I'm completely missing something!