Topic: Tiltviewer not showing all tagged images; missing 2-4 images (variable

Hello,
Thank you for your help.  big_smile
I'm trying to set up a Tiltviewer. I've got it basically set up like I want, but one problem has arisen. It is not showing all the images tagged. It is supposed to show 43 images, but sometimes it just shows 41, and sometimes it just shows 39. I don't know the rhyme/reason for the variability either. The missing images are properly tagged and are marked as type "photos" not "illustrations," like all the others that are showing.
(When it's only missing two, the missing images are: www.flickr.com/photos/deviemusic/9420869552/ & www.flickr.com/photos/deviemusic/9418102977/ )
It supposed to pull all "viewable" tags, which coincides with all photos in the flickr set /deviemusic/sets/72157634705025669/ , which is 43 images, not 41 or 39.

The gallery is at: [ . . . ]

(I also have a second test gallery at [ . . . ] which is doing the exact same thing.)

- I don't know if free Tiltviewer version gets updated...?

Here is the configuration info:

[ . . . ]

Thanks for your insight and communication!

[ . . . ]

Last edited by dvm2 (2014-08-04 02:53:09)

Re: Tiltviewer not showing all tagged images; missing 2-4 images (variable

When I view your gallery, 41 images are displayed (and this seems to be consistent). I have not yet seen the gallery display only 39 images (and I have viewed the gallery in Firefox 24, Chrome 30, IE10 and Safari 5.1.7).

TiltViewer just sends the Flickr configuration options as parameters in a Flickr API search and displays the images returned by Flickr.

If I bypass TiltViewer completely and enter your Flickr User Id and Flickr Tags directly into the Flickr API Explorer, only 41 images are returned so there seems to be a problem with the two images that are not displayed.

Check that the two images that you expect to be displayed are public (not private) and have the correct tags.
If you have recently tagged the images, it may take some time for the tags to fully propagate through Flickr's system and for the tagged images to show up in API searches. According to this Flickr FAQ, "it shouldn't take more than a few days".

If you continue to experience difficulties, you may have to contact Flickr to ask them why your images do not show not up in an API search.

- I don't know if free Tiltviewer version gets updated...??

Yes, but I notice that you are already using the most recent version (v1.3.2).
For a list of changes between versions, please see the Version History.

(--P.S. - is there a way to change my username on this forum?)

You cannot change your own username but let me know what username you would like to use and I can change it for you.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thanks for your help.

Today when I test it I also just get 41 instead of 43 but not the occasional 39 it showed yesterday. At [ . . . ]
I had re-tagged them (w/ the same tag though) -- I'm guessing that was sometime in the last 2-5 days.
*When I tried Flickr Api Explorer w/ the tag "viewable," I do get back 43 images today in that Test although TiltViewer is still just showing 41.
The missing photos are properly tagged and marked as public and as "photos."

-- Is there a way to pull it from the Set rather than the tag? (The tag is the same group as the set.)

-- What is the maximum # of Flickr images (in general) that a Tiltviewer can display?

-- If I need to contact Flickr about this (although it is showing all 43 in the Api Explorer now...), what is the most effective way to contact them?

(If it's of any relevance in resolving this, as I was doing different tests, at the 2nd test gallery [[ . . . ]] I put in a different tag and rows=5 and columns=6, but it is acting strange and photos showing up twice and columns/rows not abiding. I'm only trying to set up ONE w/ the "viewable" set at [[ . . . ] , so I don't need the problems at this 2nd test gallery fixed, but I'm sharing the strange behavior of the 2nd test one in case it's of relevance.)

___

Regarding the [ . . . ] change: how can I contact you directly so I don't need to give that information in this public forum?

Thanks!

Last edited by dvm2 (2014-08-04 02:54:56)

When I tried Flickr Api Explorer w/ the tag "viewable," I do get back 43 images today in that Test although TiltViewer is still just showing 41.

If all 43 images are now being returned by the Flickr API but you do not see all 43 in your TiltViewer gallery, try clearing your browser's cache before reloading your gallery.
However, I just tried entering your Flickr User Id and Flickr Tags into the Flickr API Explorer again myself and only 41 images are still being returned.

Is there a way to pull it from the Set rather than the tag? (The tag is the same group as the set.)

No it is not possible to display a Flickr Set using TiltViewer.

What is the maximum # of Flickr images (in general) that a Tiltviewer can display?

A Flickr API search can return a maximum of 500 images. TiltViewer should be able to display this many images as long as there are not too many images per page. If a page contains too many images, it can take a while for the browser to download and cache them all.

If I need to contact Flickr about this (although it is showing all 43 in the Api Explorer now...), what is the most effective way to contact them?

According to Flickr:

Flickr's API developers don't monitor the Help Forum. If you have a question for them, the best place to ask it is on the API mailing list.

Regarding the username change: how can I contact you directly so I don't need to give that information in this public forum?

Please check your email. I have sent you a message.

Steven Speirs

Okay I found a thread on Flickr Help Forum for a related issue so I tried a few things.
FYI: I'm guessing what mostly-worked was re-uploading the primary two missing photos (and then deleting their 1st instances).

The inconsistency between what we were getting from the Flickr Api Explorer was because I was signed in to Flickr. If I was signed in to Flickr I always got correct tag # results. If I was signed out, it gave wrong results on all of my tags (even though All of my Flickr photos have all the public settings).
-- So now I'm consistently getting the correct "43" # of results when signed out at Flickr Api Explorer after re-uploading those two photos.

I'm trying to re-order the photos a bit. I understand it has to be adjusted via Flickr's "date uploaded" date. Do you know if that Tiltviewer pull is order-sensitive to the second? (Flickr upload-date does include to-the-second.) Most of the photos I uploaded all at the same time so they all have the same date, with only differences of by-the-second. When I change the date in Flickr it does not register in Tiltviewer for awhile.
-- Also for awhile after I make those date changes, there are some missing ones in the Tiltviewer (though Api Explorer still shows 43), -- I think from a "gateway timed out" error on the missing images. I'm guessing I just have to wait those out? [ . . ]. There should be a full 6x5 on the 1st page and on the 2nd page it should be two full rows plus 1 in the 3rd row; totalling 43.

Thanks much for your help! I hope this Tiltviewer can work out.

Last edited by dvm2 (2014-08-04 02:59:06)

Do you know if that Tiltviewer pull is order-sensitive to the second? (Flickr upload-date does include to-the-second.)

I would expect so. TiltViewer just displays the images in the order that Flickr provides and if Flickr provides accuracy to the second, I would expect Flickr to order the images using this accuracy before sending the images to TiltViewer.

When I change the date in Flickr it does not register in Tiltviewer for awhile.

This is perfectly normal. Any changes you make in Flickr need time to fully propagate throughout Flickr's servers before they will become active in API searches.

Unfortunately, the problems you are experiencing are all directly related to the Flickr API.
TiltViewer can do no more that use valid Flickr API calls and display the images that are returned.

I have just viewed your TiltViewer gallery and 43 images are displayed so it looks like everything is working as expected at present.

Steven Speirs

Thanks.
I don't think the by-the-second changes re-order it. Looks like I'll have to try to re-order via changing day.

Question: is there any way to make my website link on the backside of the photo (caption from flickr) clickable? -- Or any other way to lead back to my website, not just the flickr site?  (like SV has a back-button for example, and clickable links in the captions)
It is now at: www.deVieMusic.com/viewing

Last edited by dvm2 (2013-10-20 05:17:51)

is there any way to make my website link on the backside of the photo (caption from flickr) clickable?

No. When the flip-side text is sourced from Flickr, there is no way to change its clickable behavior.
You could, however, create your own Back Button by overlaying a standard HTML hyperlink on top of your gallery.
Make your gallery's background transparent by following the instructions here and then add the following code to the <body> section of you web page (modifying it as required).

<div id="overlay" style="position: absolute; top: 10px; left: 10px;">
    <a href="http://www.example.com/">Link</a>
</div>
Steven Speirs

Okay - I don't have Tiltviewer Pro - AND I don't want the full-screen button disabled - so it sounds like the option you gave at http://www.simpleviewer.net/tiltviewer/ … ort/#trans is not the right choice for my gallery. Any other way to allow a link (either in captions or on page) back to my website without getting Pro or losing the full-screen option?

The overlay solution should work fine in TiltViewer-Standard.
Just use the following line in your gallery's embedding code (in conjunction with the 'overlay' <div> that I posted above in the <body> section of your web page).

fo.addParam("wmode", "transparent");

Fullscreen mode will still work but the link will not be visible in fullscreen mode.

An alternative solution would be to split you web page into two sections: a thin header containing the link and the remainder of the web page containing the gallery.

Steven Speirs

Thank you! I've really appreciated your help and responsiveness.

I don't know code. Is this okay I added in a font-size adjust as follows? :

<body>
    <div id="overlay" style="position: absolute; top: 10px; left: 10px;">
    <a href="http://www.deviemusic.com/art"><font size="1">{{back</font></a>
</div>

Is this okay I added in a font-size adjust as follows?

Most browsers will render your code as expected but the font tag was deprecated in HTML 4.01 and is not supported in HTML 5. It would be better to style your link using CSS instead. For example, change:

<font size="1">{{back</font>

... to:

<span style="font-size: 12px;">{{back</span>

Incidentally, I notice that your web page does not use a Doctype Declaration. It is important that each HTML document uses a Docytype Declaration in order to inform the user's browser what set of standards the code on the page should conform to. Add an appropriate Doctype Declaration to your page from the list here to your page.
From the look of your code, the HTML 5 Doctype looks to be appropriate. At the very top of your page, change:

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">

... to:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
Steven Speirs

Thank you!

I don't know anything about that stuff. I just made the changes exactly as you said to do it (except I changed to text size "14".)

Question: my SVPro gallery (www.deVieMusic.com/Available-Art) has the following in the index.html currently:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html>

Should that be changed as well -- and if so what should I replace it with?

~ I appreciate your guidance & communication! ~

Last edited by dvm2 (2013-10-22 16:56:57)

Should that be changed as well.

No. There is no need to change the Doctype Declaration on your web page as long as the code on your page conforms to the set of standards defined in the declaration (in your case HTML 4.01 Strict). You can check the code on your page with the W3C Markup Validation Service.
Running the URL to your web page through the validation service returns the following message so there is no need to change anything.

This document was successfully checked as HTML 4.01 Strict!

(If there were any errors on your web page, they would be reported and should be fixed but your page is fine. Also, if you did change the Doctype Declaration on your web page, you would likely have to change the HTML code on your page to match the new declaration you have chosen.)

Steven Speirs

* Thank you.