Topic: Tiltviewer does not show the right thumbnailed pictures

Hi

Tiltviewer is really great, and I just used it to create my first gallery (for the moment just on my PC as I am developing the page).

Unfortunately, there is a very odd behaviour with the pictures I have: when I move my mouse away from the thumbnail, it changes and shows a zoomed version of another picture. So I basically get 2 or 3 correct thumbnails, and all the others are showing some part of another picture, and only get right when I move my mouse in their individual frames. Very odd.

Any hint of what could go wrong?
(working on Ubuntu 13.10, and my test pictures are 3881 pix max)

Thanks for your help!

Re: Tiltviewer does not show the right thumbnailed pictures

Make sure that your gallery sets the maxJPGSize configuration option correctly so that images do not overlap each other. It should be set to the largest dimension (width or height) of your largest image.
See the XML Gallery Options for details.

If this does not help, then please upload your gallery and post the URL so that I can take a look for myself and help further.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thanks.

I did originally put 3900 as the maxJPGsize as my images are 3881xY or something. I know this is big and I intend to scale them down at some point of course for the final web site.

I have put a trial site there:

LINK-REMOVED

(to see the effect I mention, go AWAY with your mouse from the centre of the frame and you will see the thumbnail changing to a zoomed version of another image. Very weird)

Will need to remove it when you have viewed it, so let me know when you're done with it.

thanks again for your help

Last edited by mele (2013-12-17 07:52:29)

I know this is big and I intend to scale them down at some point of course for the final web site.

I see the effect you are talking about but, unfortunately, I do not know the cause.

Your images are very large. The first image in your gallery is 13.6 MB and takes a very long time to load (over my current internet connection, at least).
Try resizing them now (sooner rather than later) to see if this makes a difference.

Also, your gallery's XML file (http://www.eso.org/~eemselle/templink/G … allery.xml) contains comments enclosed in <!-- --> tags.
Try removing them to see if this helps, too.

Steven Speirs

Thanks.

I just made a few experiments:

- lowering the size of the images (in Mb or pix size) does not change the problem

- however, if I increase maxJPGsize beyond a certain value I get the effect even with smaller images (the effect is then only impacting a small part of one image, with a corner disappearing only when you put the mouse in one extreme corner of the screen, so hard to see as you need to do this slowly to see it)

So it looks like the effect comes from some interaction between the size of the image, the maxJPGsize, and maybe the resolution of the screen?

Anyway: setting maxJPGsize lower than ~1600 pixels seems to work and you don't see the effect. My guess is that the effect is still there but does not show up because the thumbnails do not cover the area of the screen/web page where you would see it. Since I have no clue how the flash part works I cannot tell you more. But hope this is enough for you to see where it comes from.

I have been able to replicate this problem in a test gallery of my own using a high value of maxJPGSize and have notified the developers.

However, as you have discovered, the effect is not visible with a maxJPGsize of ~ 1600 or below and images with such dimensions should be more than large enough for web gallery use.

Steven Speirs