Topic: iPad compatibility

I upgraded to the latest SimpleViewer Pro a couple of months ago on my Mac. SimpleViewer website says that it is compatible on many devices including iPad and iPhone, but my website is not displaying correctly on these devices. Do I have to re-upload specific files to my ISP in order for this to happen?

Re: iPad compatibility

SimpleViewer-Pro is compatible with mobile devices and no additional files are required for Universal Playback functionality.

Please note that Universal Playback was introduced in v2.1.0 (please see the Version History for a full list of changes) so if you are using a version of SimpleViewer-Pro prior to v2.1.0, please upgrade your gallery to the current version (v2.3.1) by following the instructions on this web page.

Also, if your gallery's embedding code uses absolute paths which, for example,  include a 'www' subdomain, make sure that you access your gallery using the 'www' subdomain. Otherwise, change your absolute paths to relative paths.

If you continue to experience difficulties, please post the URL to your gallery so that I can take a look and help further.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi Steven and thanks for the reply. I am running v2.3.1 on my Mac. Installed it a few months ago as per the directions. Everything works fine. However, my website was created a couple of years ago using a prior version and I have been merely updating it via the new software. (Amazingly, I had assumed that SimpleViewer simply did not support iPad and iPhone, but luckily, I discovered on your site that it did.) When I check the site on the devices, it is not performing properly. I can only assume that this is because the core files were created a couple of years ago.

Here's a link to one of the gallery pages that is typically not working on iPad:
http://www.twolambs.ca/Sfigure.html

The site has always worked great on any other devices. I believe all my related paths are relative, but perhaps you can enlighten me otherwise?

Your gallery displays and functions OK when I view it on an iPod Touch and also in desktop browsers (both with and without Adobe Flash Player enabled) so it should also display and function OK on an iPad.
Try clearing your browser's cache before reloading your gallery to ensure that your browser fetches and uses the most recent gallery files from your web server.

Also, try viewing the gallery on its own web page (rather than embedded in your 'Sfigure.html' web page) to see if this displays OK: http://www.twolambs.ca/SandisGallery/Fi … gures.html

Also, please make sure that you are trying to view your gallery over a wi-fi connection.
If you are using a 3G connection, please see this FAQ:
Why can't I view my gallery on a 3G mobile connection?

Incidentally, I notice that your 'Sfigure.html' web page does not use a Doctype Declaration (DTD). Please see here for details.
All web pages should use a DTD so that the user's browser knows what set of standards the code on your page conform to.
Looking at the code on your page, the most suitable DTD would appear to be HTML 4.01 Transitional.
Place the following code at the top of your 'Sfigure.html' web page (before the opening <html> tag).

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
   "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
Steven Speirs

Okay, I managed to have a look on an iPhone and an android tablet this weekend... I do not own any of these devices so I am dependant on when I can "borrow" one. Here's the results:
On a regular desktop, laptop or Mac I get a gallery displaying all the customization that I had set up, including thumbnails to the left,, large image to the right, white borders around each and clickable image-link to another page. When I view it on the devices in question, the page comes up as a bank of thumbnails only, no large image unless you click on the thumbnails, no borders and no image-links. A client reported last week that he could not see any price and detail info (which is available when one "mouses-over" on a desktop.
I have cleared the browser cache, and tried viewing the gallery on its own page as you suggested with no improvement. We are on Wi-fi.
I am sure this is some small glitch in my coding unless everyone has this same experience. I do appreciate you noting my lack of DTD; obviously got lost in too many "cut-and-paste" sessions. Could this be part of the problem?

When I view it on the devices in question, the page comes up as a bank of thumbnails only, no large image unless you click on the thumbnails, no borders and no image-links.

What you are describing is the Mobile Player display of your gallery which SimpleViewer will use by default on mobile devices.
SimpleViewer is predominantly a Flash image viewer and The Mobile Player is designed as an HTML fallback for mobile devices and browsers which do not have Adobe Flash Player installed and enabled.
The Mobile Player supports fewer configuration options than the Flash Player.
The configuration options supported by the Mobile Player can be found here.

Please see these FAQs for further details:
When I view my gallery I see a grid of thumbnails, not the layout I specified. Why?
The mobile player layout does not match the Flash player layout. Why not?

If you are looking for a more configurable image viewer for use on mobile devices, you might like to take a look at another one of our products - Juicebox.
Juicebox is an HTML 5 image viewer which does not use or rely on Adobe Flash Player at all.
For more information on the differences between SimpleViewer and Juicebox, please see this SimpleViewer news article.

Steven Speirs

Steven -

Thank-you for you very informative answer. Am I then to assume that the iPad is in the category with mobile devices? If so, it is what it is.

However, I do believe it would be client-friendly (especially for those of us who are more designers than coders) to include some disclaimers on your web-page (http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewe … #universal). Specifically, it would be of benefit to  mention Juicebox at the onset, rather than have us cast about for answers to design inconsistencies. I had assumed that the iPad issue was not necessarily the mobile issue because of the difference is screen-size. Somehow, I had thought you may have addressed the Flash issue for the iPad because that was inferred. Some clarity for those of us less code-savvy than the rest might increase your Juicebox sales.

Please confirm that my only option to maintain the design on the iPad or comparable Android is to either purchase Juicebox or code a rudimentary gallery of my own for those devices.

Am I then to assume that the iPad is in the category with mobile devices? If so, it is what it is.

Yes. The iPad does not support Adobe Flash Player so SimpleViewer uses the Mobile Player to display the gallery.
In the Universal Playback section, we do specifically mention the iPad as being a mobile device which does not support Adobe Flash Player and we have a couple of FAQs which mention that the Mobile Player layout differs from the Flash Player version.

Please confirm that my only option to maintain the design on the iPad or comparable Android is to either purchase Juicebox or code a rudimentary gallery of my own for those devices.

You could certainly code a rudimentary gallery of your own for those devices if you like but even if you find the configuration options available to the Mobile Player within SimpleViewer limiting, it is certainly better than not being able to display the Flash Player version of the gallery on an iPad at all and just displaying a 'SimpleViewer requires Adobe Flash Player' message instead (which was the case prior to SimpleViewer v2.1.0).

If you need more customization for mobile-friendly galleries than the Mobile Player within SimpleViewer offers, then Juicebox would be a good solution and as a SimpleViewer-Pro user, we can offer you a discount on Juicebox-Pro. Please see the SimpleViewer blog entry for details.

Steven Speirs