Topic: SV2 gallery does not work on my Andriod device

I am very experienced with SV1. Just downloaded and installed the PhotoshopCS4 script version of SV2.
(WinXP pro SP3)
Built a new gallery.  Displays fine on my PC.. does not display on my Android phone. I get the "Adobe Flash Plug-in required message"
I thought that the SV2 versions would support both.
Does that apply to the P/S Script version.. or just with the SV Desktop builder?
Thankx
CM

Last edited by cmatterA1 (2014-03-14 01:56:11)

Re: SV2 gallery does not work on my Andriod device

Also.. I have red the similiar post and reply from 2/23 (below in the forum). I do not understand the reply.  Can it be explained in more simple.. direct terms ?
My Android phone is a Sprint LG LS970 running Andriod 4.1.2
Thanks
CDM

Last edited by cmatterA1 (2014-03-14 02:25:45)

Ok.. I tried the Desktop Builder.. and now the similar post below makes a lot more sense.   So..I figured out how to imbed the Java snippet code, and that works OK.  (I had assumed that both the Flash and mobile versions would display identically.  they apparently don't.. and makes sense because of the smaller mobile screen, etc., correct?).
One question about the Desktop builder... where can I enable the file names?  can't find that anywhere. Looked thru the code in Dreamweaver, etc.
But...(back to my original question...) in the PS CS4 script version that I originally downloaded I can't find any java snippet code to imbed.
So.. how can I enable the Mobile viewer in that version  ??

RE:.. question on captions produced by the Desktop Builder version. Figured that out.. Opened the XML in Dreamweaver and inserted the file names in the correct spot in the "Caption" line; they now display fine.
And.. (as I used to do with SV1).. to expand the site title to my liking, I also tweaked the "Title" line in the code.  What I did displays fine in Flash, but overlaps the thumbnails on my Android.
Suggestions??
site is www.matterlight.com/Artwork_1     (I'm running this as a test site, until I figure this out)

I thought that the SV2 versions would support both.
Does that apply to the P/S Script version.. or just with the SV Desktop builder?

SimpleViewer supports Universal Playback from v2.1.0 onwards.
The current version of the Photoshop script uses the latest version of SimpleViewer-Standard (v2.3.1).

I had assumed that both the Flash and mobile versions would display identically.  they apparently don't.. and makes sense because of the smaller mobile screen, etc., correct?

Please see these FAQs:
When I view my gallery I see a grid of thumbnails, not the layout I specified. Why?
The mobile player layout does not match the Flash player layout. Why not?

One question about the Desktop builder... where can I enable the file names?

If you want to use file names as image captions when creating a gallery with svBuilder, select 'Images -> Captions -> Use File Name' from the drop down menu at the top.

in the PS CS4 script version that I originally downloaded I can't find any java snippet code to imbed.

If you want to embed a gallery created with the Photoshop script in an existing web page alongside other content, then you can follow the standard embedding instructions here (in Step #1, just create the gallery with the Photoshop script rather than svBuilder and in Step #3, just use the code provided in the instructions).
Otherwise, you can use the baseURL method of embedding as documented here. The baseURL method allows you to keep your gallery files inside the gallery folder and you can then upload the entire gallery folder (not just the contents) to your web server. It does not matter where on your web server you upload the gallery folder to as long as the two paths within the embedding code (the path to the 'simpleviewer.js' file and the baseURL itself) are correct.

What I did displays fine in Flash, but overlaps the thumbnails on my Android.

SimpleViewer uses the same title for both the Flash Player and the Mobile Player (it is not possible to specify a different title for each display). Workarounds would be to either use a shorter gallery title or to use a smaller font size.
If you use a title such as <span style="font-size: 12px">Title goes here</span>, then the style will be applied only to the Mobile Player version of the gallery. (The Flash Player does not support the 'style' attribute.)

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thanks...
I'll play around with these suggestions.
CDM

OK... I'm not getting this to work.
I'm building stand-alone web galleries, so my HTML page is my Index page.
Since I'm tweaking the titles by opening the XML folder in Dreamweaver; I'm assuming that I need to paste the embed code correctly in the XML code.
1.  I can paste it in so it works in Flash, but I can't get it to open on my Andriod. Can you show me where to paste the embed code.. please :-) ?
2.  I don't see any font size in the XML code, so assuming I need to add that?  where /how should I do that?

The XML code I'm seeing in Dreamweaver is below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<simpleviewergallery

useFlickr="false"
    languageCode="AUTO"
    maxImageWidth="1024"
    maxImageHeight="768"
    title="ArtWork Photography Samples
© 2014 Charles Matter Photography, New York"
    textColor="FFFFFF"
    frameColor="FFFFFF"
    frameWidth="2"
    thumbColumns="3"
    thumbRows="4"
    thumbPosition="LEFT"
    galleryStyle="MODERN"
    showOpenButton="false"
    showFullscreenButton="false"

>
    <image imageURL="images/Chris_Rini_001.jpg" thumbURL="thumbs/Chris_Rini_001.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
        <caption><![CDATA[Chris_Rini_001.jpg]]></caption>
    </image>
    <image imageURL="images/Chris_Rini_002.jpg" thumbURL="thumbs/Chris_Rini_002.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
        <caption><![CDATA[Chris_Rini_002.jpg]]></caption>
    </image>
    <image imageURL="images/Chris_Rini_003.jpg" thumbURL="thumbs/Chris_Rini_003.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
        <caption><![CDATA[Chris_Rini_003.jpg]]></caption>
    </image>
    <image imageURL="images/Chris_Rini_004.jpg" thumbURL="thumbs/Chris_Rini_004.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
        <caption><![CDATA[Chris_Rini_004.jpg]]></caption>
    </image>
    <image imageURL="images/Gabrielle_001.jpg" thumbURL="thumbs/Gabrielle_001.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
        <caption><![CDATA[Gabrielle_001.jpg]]></caption>
    </image>
    <image imageURL="images/Gabrielle_002.jpg" thumbURL="thumbs/Gabrielle_002.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
        <caption><![CDATA[Gabrielle_002.jpg]]></caption>
    </image>
    <image imageURL="images/Gabrielle_003.jpg" thumbURL="thumbs/Gabrielle_003.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
        <caption><![CDATA[Gabrielle_003.jpg]]></caption>
    </image>
    <image imageURL="images/Gabrielle_004.jpg" thumbURL="thumbs/Gabrielle_004.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
        <caption><![CDATA[Gabrielle_004.jpg]]></caption>
    </image>
    <image imageURL="images/J.M._001.jpg" thumbURL="thumbs/J.M._001.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
        <caption><![CDATA[J.M._001.jpg]]></caption>
    </image>
    <image imageURL="images/J.M._002.jpg" thumbURL="thumbs/J.M._002.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
        <caption><![CDATA[J.M._002.jpg]]></caption>
    </image>
    <image imageURL="images/J.M._003.jpg" thumbURL="thumbs/J.M._003.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
        <caption><![CDATA[J.M._003.jpg]]></caption>
    </image>
    <image imageURL="images/J.M._004.jpg" thumbURL="thumbs/J.M._004.jpg" linkURL="" linkTarget="" >
        <caption><![CDATA[J.M._004.jpg]]></caption>
    </image>
</simpleviewergallery>

Hopefully I'm trying the correct approach..
Thank you very much in advance..
CDM

Since I'm tweaking the titles by opening the XML folder in Dreamweaver;

If you are embedding your gallery using Dreamweaver, then please see the note for Dreamweaver users here.

I'm assuming that I need to paste the embed code correctly in the XML code.

No. If you want to display the gallery on a page of its own, then you can just use the 'index.html' file generated by the Photoshop script. The gallery's embedding code is already included in this HTML document.
If you want to embed the gallery into an existing web page alongside other content, then the embedding code should be inserted into this web page (HTML document).
The embedding code does not go into the gallery's XML file.

I can paste it in so it works in Flash, but I can't get it to open on my Andriod.

It sounds like you may be embedding only the SWF file into your web page.
As noted in the note for Dreamweaver users (link above), do not use Dreamweaver's 'Insert -> Media' menu action to embed the gallery. The recommended embedding code found here should be used instead.
If you post the URL to your gallery, I can take a look and hopefully determine the cause of your problems.

I don't see any font size in the XML code, so assuming I need to add that?  where /how should I do that?

The sample title I included in my last email can be entered exactly as I posted it if creating a gallery with svBuilder.
However, if you are entering the title directly into the gallery's XML file, you will need to escape the XML entities as noted in this FAQ.
Use the following:

title="&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 12px&quot;&gt;Title goes here&lt;/span&gt;"

Please note that there is also the titleFontSize configuration option (for SimpleViewer-Pro users) which is used by the Flash Player but not by the Mobile Player.

Steven Speirs

Apologies.. this is still a learning cure for me..
(quote)
"    I'm assuming that I need to paste the embed code correctly in the XML code.

No. If you want to display the gallery on a page of its own, then you can just use the 'index.html' file generated by the Photoshop script. The gallery's embedding code is already included in this HTML document.
If you want to embed the gallery into an existing web page alongside other content, then the embedding code should be inserted into this web page (HTML document).
The embedding code does not go into the gallery's XML file."

I'm not understanding how/why this is not working.  If the code is already imbedded into the "index.html" page.. why isn't it displaying on my Android?  If I'm reading this correctly, if I'm building a stand-alone gallery from the PS script.. I don't have to embed the java code into "index.html" because the code is already there???  (Is that also true of the builder. BTW??)
I just built a new test gallery, and loaded it to myISP using FileZilla.  The Flash version works fine, but all I get on my android is the gallery title and a blank page.
neutral
Obviously my limited experience is missing something here ??

Fooling around early this am.. I did... at one point get both to work with  (I believe..) the script version, but I lost track of the process and am not able to get it to happen again.

Thanks again..
CDM

(quote)
"    I don't see any font size in the XML code, so assuming I need to add that?  where /how should I do that?

The sample title I included in my last email can be entered exactly as I posted it if creating a gallery with svBuilder.
However, if you are entering the title directly into the gallery's XML file, you will need to escape the XML entities as noted in this FAQ.
Use the following:

title="&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 12px&quot;&gt;Title goes here&lt;/span&gt;"

Please note that there is also the titleFontSize configuration option (for SimpleViewer-Pro users) which is used by the Flash Player but not by the Mobile Player."

This new code works fine.. thank you.  Apparently font size changes only show up in the mobile version.. so as soon as I can get that to work.. I'll see if that works.  Not seeing any size change in Flash.

FYI.. all I'm using Dreamweaver for for this stand-alone gallery page is as a code editor (as opposed to like Notepad). Later when I do want to embed a gallery into a page with other html content.. I'll explore that.

thanks again for your patience..
CDM

If the code is already imbedded into the "index.html" page.. why isn't it displaying on my Android?

I have viewed your test gallery www.matterlight.com/Artwork_1 on a mobile iOS device and it displays and functions correctly.
It should also display and function correctly on your Android device.
Try clearing your browser's cache before reloading your gallery to see if this makes a difference.
Also, make sure that you are viewing your gallery over a wi-fi connection and not a 3G connection.
Please see this FAQ for details: Why can't I view my gallery on a 3G mobile connection?

If I'm reading this correctly, if I'm building a stand-alone gallery from the PS script.. I don't have to embed the java code into "index.html" because the code is already there???

That is correct. The embedding code is already included in the gallery's own 'index.html' page and all you should need to do to display the gallery is open the 'index.html' page in a browser.

(Is that also true of the builder. BTW??)

Yes. svBuilder also generates an 'index.html' page which includes the gallery's embedding code.

I just built a new test gallery, and loaded it to myISP using FileZilla.  The Flash version works fine, but all I get on my android is the gallery title and a blank page.

Check my suggestions above (regarding browser cache and 3G) and if you still have problems, please let me know what device and browser you are using.

Apparently font size changes only show up in the mobile version.

That is correct. Adobe Flash Player does not support the 'style' attribute and so it is used only by the Mobile (HTML) Player.

Steven Speirs

Thank you..
As I suspected.  I just got this Android phone and I suspected I need to clear the browser.
Thank you
CDM

"Also, make sure that you are viewing your gallery over a wi-fi connection and not a 3G connection.
Please see this FAQ for details: Why can't I view my gallery on a 3G mobile connection?"

Hmmm. I just re-read this..
I'm not on a 3G connection, but a 4GLTE.
It's worked on that before (as I said previously).. so assuming that it should work on a 4G (wimax or LTE ) connection; or.. are you saying that it will only work on Wifi ?
CDM

If your 4G connection uses content modification (check with your provider), then implement the solution documented in the FAQ and this should fix your problem.
(Content modification will break many websites that use JavaScript, whether it is used on 3G or 4G networks.)

Steven Speirs

**SIGH** OK, Thanks.
Not sure which 'Artwork_1' version you opened sucessfully on your Iphone, so I tore everything down and re-built them with both script and builder.... after I cleared my phone's browser cache.  Now  nothing opens on my phone.. Grrrr.  Going to the main Sprint Store here in NYC to have them check my phone, etc try to figure out why the java versions of the gallery were opening on my 4Glte before.. but not now.
Life used to be simpler before Adobe and Google started squabbling  :-).
I'm still holding out high hopes for your product.. once I figure it all out.
I currently build (and send) 2 versions of every content specific portfolio gallery I create for clients; 1 in SV2 using Flash for a reg. computer; then a 2nd reg. HTML with identical images for mobile devices.  Pain in the butt.
I.E.
www.matterlight.com/NYC_Interiors   (Flash)
www.matterlight.com/NYC_Interiors   (HTML)

I would LOVE to be able to make a solution like yours work.. seamlessly on any device
Problem is.. when we send these new SV2 "dual" function galleries out to clients.. we have no way of knowing if they are running 3G, or if their connection uses content modification.. or whatever..

Thank for your continued help.. sure I'll figure this all out.
CDM
New York

Problem is.. when we send these new SV2 "dual" function galleries out to clients.. we have no way of knowing if they are running 3G, or if their connection uses content modification.. or whatever..

If you implement the solution documented in the FAQ then it will no longer matter whether visitors to your web site use 3G, 4G or wi-fi. The code in the .htaccess file will prevent content modification from taking place and your gallery (created by svBuilder or the Photoshop script) will be able to be viewed by everyone whether they are using a browser with Adobe Flash Player installed and enabled (in which case the gallery will be displayed by the Flash Player) or a mobile device (in which case the gallery will be displayed by the Mobile Player).

Steven Speirs

OK.. I'll look again more closely.  I guess I missed that.
I had my phone checked by Sprint... the Browser cache is clearing correctly, and there are no phone issues.
I'm thinking that I'm going to start fresh with a different gallery.. see if I can get it to work.
What I re-built yesterday won't open on any phone.. wi-Fi, 3G or 4G.. so there's something wrong that I'm overlooking.
Thanks again for your input.. I'll get back when I've gone thru everything again.
CDM

What I re-built yesterday won't open on any phone..

Double-check that you are using a wi-fi connection and that you have JavaScript enabled in your browser. If JavaScript is disabled, you will not be able to see any SimpleViewer gallery.

One other thing to check is that you are using the latest version of SimpleViewer (v2.3.1).
Your www.matterlight.com/Artwork_1/ gallery uses v2.3.1 but your www.matterlight.com/NYC_Interiors/ gallery uses v2.0.3.
Universal Playback (the ability to have a SimpleViewer gallery displayed on a mobile device) was introduced in v2.1.0.

If you need to upgrade svBuilder, please see the Upgrading SimpleViewer page for details.

The current version of the Photoshop script can be downloaded from this web page.

Steven Speirs