Topic: Get "Gallery xml not found" after upgrade to

I have been using WP-simpleviewer pro v. but after upgrading to, I get the "Gallery xml not found" error for all my galleries.

As soon as I overwrite the plugin files back to v2.3.2.1, all galleries become viewable again.

I had applied the upgrade through the plugin control panel in WP.

What would cause this or is there some additional step I need to do?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by raybman (2014-05-07 05:03:49)

Re: Get "Gallery xml not found" after upgrade to

WP-SimpleViewer v2.3.2.2 uses the same file structure as v2.3.2.1 (and expects the gallery XML files to be in the same location) so upgrading from v2.3.2.1 to v2.3.2.2 should not cause such a problem (and I cannot replicate the problem in a test installation of my own).
The problem may be with your particular setup. What version of WordPress do you use and what version of PHP do you have installed on your web server? If you can upgrade or both, please do so to see if this makes a difference.

In order to troubleshoot your particular scenario further, please try the following.
Open a web page containing a gallery.
View the source of the gallery in your browser.
Scroll down the page and find the gallery's embedding code.
Copy the path to the gallery's galleryURL (which will look something like this and paste it directly into the address bar in your browser.
Please let me know what you see (copy and paste it into a post if possible). Does the browser display any error messages relating to the dynamically-generated XML file?

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Site is using WordPress v3.9 and PHP 5.4.28

This is what I see for the current version

This is what I see after the update to new version

The browser does not display any errors and all other parts of site display, so seeing the missing gallery xml message where the gallery should be.

Last edited by raybman (2014-05-07 14:00:16)

oops, I did not paste those urls into the browser, I have try that later.

Below is what the browser displays with the update installed using the url:

XML Parsing Error: no element found
Line Number 1, Column 1:

(domain changed for example)

Last edited by raybman (2014-05-08 05:03:12)

For the record, the name of the PHP file which dynamically generates the XML data was changed in v2.3.2.2 from 'gallery.php' to 'config.php' (to fix a conflict with the ThemeForest Evermore theme) so that, in itself, is OK.

With regard to the problem, it sounds like it might be a PHP-related issue (perhaps a bug in the version of PHP on your web server).
Try changing line 106 of the 'wp-simpleviewer/config.php' file from:

echo $dom_doc->saveXML();

... to:

echo $dom_doc->saveXML($settings_tag);

WP-Juicebox uses saveXML() (with no parameters) which, according to the PHP documentation, should output the entire document (and does in my own test galleries).
However, in your case, nothing is output at all so instructing saveXML() to output just a specific node (as in the modification above) may help.

Please note that the line number above refers to the current version of WP-SimpleViewer (v2.3.2.2).

Steven Speirs

Tried the changes to config.php file as you suggested, but still get the same message:

Gallery XML not found

Is the new version not compatible with PHP 5.4.28 ?

WP-SimpleViewer v2.3.2.2 requires PHP v5.2.0 or later so should work fine with v5.4.28.

Perhaps WP-SimpleViewer v2.3.2.2 uses a PHP function which has been disabled in your web server's PHP configuration settings.

WP-SimpleViewer supports several different image sources for galleries (Media Library, Flickr Account, NextGEN Gallery, Picasa Web Album).
Does the problem occur with all image sources of just one?
If you have currently been using only the Media Library, try using a different image source (just for testing purposes) to see if the problem still occurs.
If you do not have a Flickr account or a Picasa Web Album to test, try the following details:

Flickr Username: [leave this entry blank]
Flickr Tags: [leave this entry blank]

Picasa User Id: picasateam
Picasa Album Name: VegasWeekend

I should be able to determine the cause of the problem if I had access to your web server.
If you are willing to allow me FTP access to your web space (I will leave things exactly as I find them), please let me know and I will send you an email address to send me your login details. Thank you.

Steven Speirs