Topic: Building JAlbum results in several java.lang.NullPointerException msgs

At the end of building a JAlbum with SimpleViewer Pro an error box is displayed showing two files with an exception:

The following files could not be processed due to errors:
2002-06-11_DCP_2979.jpg: java.lang.NullPointerException
2002-06-11_DCP_2980.jpg: java.lang.NullPointerException

The album has over 3,000 photos and only these two are shown as having a problem.

I copied the files and a few others to their own folder and built a new album.  The error still occurs.

I have examined the Exif information for these two and there does not appear to be anything unusual.
I have tried copying the photo files, deleting the original and renaming the copies back to be the same as the originals

What can be wrong with these two files to cause such an error?

What tests can you recommend I do to track down the problem?

Mark

Re: Building JAlbum results in several java.lang.NullPointerException msgs

This error is more that likely to be with the images themselves rather than the SimpleViewer skin for jAlbum. I would expect the same error to occur no matter what skin you use. Try building a test album with a basic skin (Base or Minimal) to see if the same error occurs.
I do not know what the problem with the images may be but here are a few things to try (one at a time rather than all at once).
(1) Try opening and resaving the images in an imaging program (without actually making any changes).
(2) Try opening the images in an imaging program and resave them stripping out all metadata (EXIF and IPTC information) in the process.
(3) Go to jAlbum's 'Albums -> Settings -> Advanced -> Metadata' tab anmd temporarily deselect all checkboxes and select 'No IPTC' in the 'Title Source' combobox.
One (or more) of the above suggestions might help or at least shed some more light on the problem.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi

I verified that the error occurs with other skins, specifically Turtle and Chameleon.

(1) Try opening and resaving the images in an imaging program (without actually making any changes).

Mark: Opening it in a photo editor and doing a Save As with no changes fixed it.   I noticed the file sizes were different so I did an image compare and evidently my photo editor made changes to the image pixels by the fact it was opend and saved.

(2) Try opening the images in an imaging program and re save them stripping out all metadata (EXIF and IPTC information) in the process.

Mark: Doing this also fixed it but based on test 1 above just re saving it would fix it.

(3) Go to jAlbum's 'Albums -> Settings -> Advanced -> Metadata' tab and temporarily deselect all checkboxes and select 'No IPTC' in the 'Title Source' combobox.

Mark:  This did not fix the issue.

Well, I've copied the troubled images off to save them for future investigation.  If you can think of anything else let me know.

Thanks
        Mark

It certainly sounds like your two images are somehow corrupt (at least in the eyes of the Java image processing routine). I do not know exactly what the problem is with them or how it may have happened but at least you now have a workaround (resave the images in an imaging program) so that you can use the images in your album.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.