Topic: Adding new pictures in WP, not saving to gallery [SOLVED]

Hi, I am trying to add new photos to a gallery shown on my site homepage running WP 3.9.2 but using the Add Media interface to shuffle photos linked to the page and deselecting those already uploaded doesn't work.

When I only tick 10 of 20 originally uploaded to the gallery then shuffle the order by dragging in the lower part of the modal window, this update doesn't save when closing with the x button top right.

Do I have to delete images associated to the page? There is no images XML file to edit. Yet still the gallery appears to be cached to old list of images originally uploaded.

Thanks!

Re: Adding new pictures in WP, not saving to gallery [SOLVED]

First of all, make sure that you select 'Uploaded to this post' in the WordPress Media Window to be sure that the images you are reordering are attached to the post containing the gallery.
Next, clear your browser's cache to be sure that your browser is fetching and using the most recent gallery files from your web server.

I am trying to add new photos to a gallery

This can be done with the following procedure:
(1) Edit the post containing the gallery.
(2) Click the 'Add Media' button above the editor's toolbar.
(3) Drag and drop your new images from a folder on your computer into the 'Add Media' window in your browser.
(4) Close the 'Add Media' window with the cross at the top-right.
Alternatively, if you already have some images in your Media Library that are unattached to posts, you can go into your Media Library (from the Dashboard) and attach them to the post containing the gallery.

deselecting those already uploaded doesn't work

Selecting or deselecting images in the 'Add Media' window does not add or remove the images from the gallery, it just prepares a selection for a bulk action within the 'Add Media' window (such as 'Insert into post.

Do I have to delete images associated to the page?

WP-SimpleViewer will display all images attached to a post so if you want to remove an image from a gallery, you will need to either unattach it from the post or delete it from the Media Library completely.

There is no images XML file to edit.

There is no XML file as WP-SimpleViewer generates the image data when the gallery is displayed. This allows you to make changes in the Media Library without the need to rebuild a static XML file afterwards.
If you want to check a gallery's dynamically-generated XML file, it will be in the form:
http://www.example.com/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/wp-simpleviewer/config.php?gallery_id=123
Just enter the URL into your browser's address bar (changing the domain and Gallery Id as appropriate).

I hope this helps clarify matters.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Re: Adding new pictures in WP, not saving to gallery [SOLVED]

Thanks for the quick reply Steven, that confirms what my previous research has suggested, this is a WP issue with the link maintained between uploaded images to the page and the gallery displaying them by default.

There's no way I can find to 'unattach' images from a page other than using another plugin to break attachments in the database so I'll go the route of deleting pics and reuploading again to each page where I use a gallery.

Good to have the reference to the dynamic gallery XML too to confirm this. Hopefully WP will at some stage come up with a core way to break page/image attachments without the reupload workaround.