Topic: Flickr API Going SSL-Only on June 27th, 2014

Hi,

As you can see here : http://code.flickr.net/2014/04/30/flick … 27th-2014/, Flickr is going SSL-Only.
I'm updating all the websites from our agency and one is using your SimpleviewerPro gallery. I've updated the gallery to the latest version (2.3.2) but it seems the API calls are still in http://.
Do you plan to update the SimpleviewerPro ?

Thanks for your help,

Rodolphe
Globule Bleu

Re: Flickr API Going SSL-Only on June 27th, 2014

We are aware of the change to Flickr and plan to release a new version of SimpleViewer (with SSL calls to the Flickr API) soon.
If you would like to be updated when the next version is released, please keep an eye on our news blog or follow us via RSS or Twitter.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thank you for the quick answer.

Do you know when this new version will be released ?
Our client needs to know if his gallery will be down after friday and if yes for how long.

Thanks again,

Rodolphe
Globule Bleu

Do you know when this new version will be released ?

Unfortunately, I do not know exactly when the next version will be released.
The updated version of Juicebox (to address the Flickr SSL issue) has already been released (please see the Juicebox Version History) so I expect that the SimpleViewer update will be released very soon.

Steven Speirs

Oh, this is very unlucky. I wanted to start a site with galleries fetching images from Flickr this week. I pre-generated a lot of galleries, and now all of them stopped working.

Please update SimpleViewer as soon as possible to handle the problem, I don't want to use other gallery. sad

We're working on it.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused but please be assured that we will release an updated version as soon as we possibly can.
Thank you for your patience.

Steven Speirs

Hi,

SimpleViewer and SimpleViewer-Pro have now been updated to handle the Flickr API change. Get the details here: http://www.simpleviewer.net/news/?p=538

- Felix

Felix Turner

Thank you, now it is working! smile

I'm experiencing an error again. In my own galleries, and in this link (http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewe … s=showcase) also only the thumbnails displayed, the big pictures doesn't load.

The mobile version works correctly.

Last edited by r4ndr4s4 (2014-06-29 19:42:19)

The sample gallery whose link you posted displays OK (thumbnails and main images) when I view it in my own browsers.

Try clearing your browser's cache before reloading your galleries to ensure that your browser is fetching and using the most recent versions of your gallery files.

Also, please double-check that your galleries are all using SimpleViewer-Pro v2.3.2 (and not any previous versions).

If you continue to experience difficulties, please post the URL to your gallery (or galleries) so that I can take a look and help further.

Steven Speirs

Clearing the cache doesn't work, and the page I sent, and my own galleries doesn't work correctly for my friend also, who checked it from a different computer.

Last edited by r4ndr4s4 (2014-07-07 20:53:45)

Your example gallery displays and functions OK for me at the moment.
Please double-check that your browser cache is completely clear.
Also, you could try viewing your gallery in a different browser (one that you know you have not yet viewed the gallery in) to be sure that it is working OK.
It looks like Flickr experienced an outage earlier on today (at least in certain parts of the world) so perhaps they are still experiencing some issues.
However, there seems to be nothing wrong with your gallery and the problem is likely to be either due to browser caching or a Flickr server issue.

Steven Speirs

How can we be notified automatically when updates are available for SimpleViewer Pro and Tiltviewer so as to avoid any downtime for our galleries?

Hi, still having problems with this issue.
Updated my site with new version (2.3.2 pro) yesterday. Have tried different machines and browsers, all with cache clearing etc. Still no luck.

Site: http://www.olerud.no (10+ galleries in the menues there) e.g www.olerud.no/produkt.jsp?p=bad&title=Bad

Thumbnails are loading, but not the main picture. Works as it should from mobile devices.

/K

@dvm1

You can follow us on Twitter @simpleviewer or subscribe to our RSS feed for updates.

@kjetilhp

I have just viewed your example gallery and it displays and functions fine for myself (all thumbnails and main images display as expected).
However, I have been able to replicate the problem that you are describing and I have notified the developers (although being that I can view your gallery OK but you cannot suggests that there might be a problem with one of Flickr's servers somewhere).

Here's what I've discovered.

• Problem does not happen in live preview window in svBuilder-Pro locally (problem happens only after gallery has been uploaded to web server).

• Problem does not happen in Mobile Player (only in Flash Player).

• Some people are able to view the gallery OK whereas others are not.

• Problem seems to happens only when certain image is in first position in gallery. If you change the flickrSort order, the gallery (including the image which was previously in first position) displays fine. [Edit: This may not always be the case but seems to be true in my own test galleries.]

Unfortunately, I do not know what might be causing this problem but we will certainly investigate further.

Steven Speirs

same issue on my simpleviewer :-(

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried all the different sort settings but same result, pictures change order but main picture still not loading.

I found the same as you, had success with on browser locally when testing, but that also stopped working after a while.

Any way to have force regular clients to use mobile player until this is fixed?

Any way to have force regular clients to use mobile player until this is fixed?

Yes. You can force SimpleViewer to display the gallery using the Mobile Player by setting the useFlash Embed Code Parameter to 'false' in your gallery's embedding code. (If creating or editing a gallery in svBuilder-Pro, just deselect the 'Use Flash' checkbox in the 'Customize -> Embed Options' section.)

Steven Speirs

It looks like the issue may be with Flickr.
In order for the new Flickr image URLs to work within Flash applications, Flickr have had to modify the 'crossdomain.xml' files on all their image farms.
Unfortunately, it is taking some time for these modifications to propagate fully through Flickr's system.
Whether or not you are able to view your gallery successfully will depend on which server is providing the images to your gallery and which whether or not an updated 'crossdomain.xml' file is being used.
In time, the modifications will filter through to all image farms and the issue should hopefully resolve itself.
Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to speed up the process.

Switching to the Mobile Player (rather than the Flash Player) by deselecting the 'Use Flash' checkbox (in svBuilder-Pro's 'Customize -> Embed Options' section) would be a suitable workaround until the problem is resolved.

Steven Speirs

Hey,

this is really bad ;-(. The Mobile-Player view is not really an Alternative for all the Gallerys on my Blog. How long i have to wait now ?

Thanks for your good Support!

Unfortunately, I do not know how long it will take for Flickr's cross domain files to be updated on all of their servers worldwide.
My own test gallery sprang to life about 21 hours ago so it should hopefully not be too long before everyone's galleries are working as expected.

Periodically, try clearing your browser's cache (to ensure that your browser is not caching and using an older cross domain file) and reloading your galleries. I would certainly hope for the issue to sort itself out sooner rather than later (but I have no way of knowing exactly when this will be).

Steven Speirs