Topic: Unable To Open Saved Galleries [SOLVED]

Just opened SV 2.3.2 and tried to open my saved galleries.  When I click on Open Gallery, select the folder that the gallery is in, and Select, nothing happens. It goes back to the New Gallery/Open Gallery screen.  When I try to open a subfolder, such as svcore, I at least get a warning that there's no xml file there.  No such warning on main gallery folder.

Same result on about a dozen old galleries.  I've looked at the files in Explorer and they are all there, including the xml file (this and the html files do NOT appear when trying to open from SimpleViewer). Using Windows 8.1, with no other issues in any other programs...

What do I do now?

Last edited by Mr.News (2014-07-16 23:27:36)

Re: Unable To Open Saved Galleries [SOLVED]

Same result on about a dozen old galleries.

How old are the galleries? Were they created with an older version of svBuidler-Pro or with a different application or plugin?
Perhaps you could zip one of the galleries and upload it somewhere (and provide a download link) so that I can take a look at the gallery files and try to replicate the problem for myself. Thank you.

You might like to take a look at this forum post which has a fairly comprehensive list of things to check/try with regard to problems with svBuilder-Pro. One or more of the suggestions might point you in the right direction towards a solution (although it sounds more like the problem may lie within your gallery files than with svBuilder-Pro itself).

Once I see one of your galleries that you cannot open, I should know more.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Steven Speirs wrote:

Perhaps you could zip one of the galleries and upload it somewhere (and provide a download link) so that I can take a look at the gallery files and try to replicate the problem for myself. Thank you.

Thanks, I will do that today. The old galleries were created with SimpleViewer v 2.3, 2.2, and 2.1. I checked their file permissions- all OK. Moved one folder to the desktop- no luck. Created a new gallery with the current version last night, and it DOES re-open normally. Compared new and old .xml files, and could find no difference. I'll post a link to one of the smaller old galleries zipped, shortly. Thank YOU.

Steven Speirs wrote:

Perhaps you could zip one of the galleries and upload it somewhere (and provide a download link) so that I can take a look at the gallery files and try to replicate the problem for myself.

Here are two zipped folders, one gallery that works, one that doesn't.

[Files downloaded. Links removed. Thank you.]

Thank you for providing the test galleries.
I can replicate the problem you describe (I cannot open your SimpleViewer-Pro v2.3.0 'Doesn't Work' gallery in svBuilder-Pro v2.3.2) but I can open other SimpeViewer-Pro v2.3.0 galleries of my own without problem.

However, it looks like a possible solution to your problem is to replace the 'svcore' folder in your gallery folder with a fresh 'svcore' folder (from the SimpleViewer-Pro v2.3.2 download zip package - 'simpleviewer_pro_2.3.2/web/svcore/'). As soon as I do this, I can open your gallery in svBuilder-Pro.

I hope this helps.

Steven Speirs

Steven Speirs wrote:

it looks like a possible solution to your problem is to replace the 'svcore' folder in your gallery folder with a fresh 'svcore' folder

I hope this helps.

Well, thank you! That absolutely did the trick. I replaced the "svcore" folder in all 10 old galleries, and they can all be opened now by SV Pro v.2.3.2. (However when I just "replaced" the existing folder with the new one, I got a Windows message that it was copying 14 things and that there were 10 duplicates, and the gallery would NOT then open. Only when I first DELETED the svcore folder completely and pasted in the new one did the trick work.)

I'm curious how this could have happened, although it's now moot. Perhaps something in svcore became corrupted (or missing) during back-up to external harddrive, and/or subsequent re-copying to my new Windows 8 machine harddrive last Fall. Whatever it was, it happened to every single one of my old galleries, but did not occur with a new gallery created yesterday.

In any event, I am grateful for the prompt and successful Help!  I love using SV Pro for web galleries (although I have to tell all my correspondents to try not to view them on smartphones or tablets  neutral  )

I am glad that my solution worked for you (although I do not know what might have caused the problem in the first place).

(although I have to tell all my correspondents to try not to view them on smartphones or tablets)

If you are looking for a more customizable gallery on mobile devices, you might like to take a look at another one of our products: Juicebox.
For more information on the differences between SimpleViewer and Juicebox (and for details on a discount off the price of Juicebox-Pro for SimpleViewer-Pro users), please see this SimpleViewer blog entry.

Steven Speirs

Thanks again- am considering a 5-domain Juicebox license...  smile