Topic: Host Changed Path — Galleries Disappeared

Hi,

Sometime in July, my host changed the path to my photo directory. I got the new path from them and changed it in the settings section of Wordpress. But the galleries are still not showing up in the site or in the Wordpress management section for SimpleViewer. I tried deactivating and reactivating the plugin and then got this message:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'TYPE=MyISAM' at line 9 on line: 1473

The error that shows up on the site in place of the galleries is:

I cannot read the gallery's xml file: /public_html/wordpress/wp-content/photos/brooklyn-navy-yard/gallery.xml
Please check that the gallery's files have been created on the admin pages!

But I can see and access the file requested above in my web browser:
http://www.markblackshear.com/wordpress … allery.xml

I'm using version 1.5.4 of SimpleViewer and version 3. 9. 1 of WordPress. Everything was working nicely before the host changed the path.

Not a happy camper and really need some help!

Last edited by BrooklynCheryl (2014-07-30 19:28:34)

Re: Host Changed Path — Galleries Disappeared

Unfortunately, WP-SimpleViewer v1.5.4 is no longer actively developed or officially supported (it is now over 4 years old).
WP-SimpleViewer is currently on v2.3.2.3 but as it was rewritten from the ground-up for v2, it is not backwards compatible with v1.5.4 (so there is no upgrade path from v1.5.4 to v2.3.2.3).

As far as I can remember, v1.5.4 hard-codes paths into the gallery's 'gallery.xml' files when the gallery is authored (unlike the current version of WP-SimpleViewer which creates all the paths dynamically at the time the gallery is displayed).
Therefore, if paths change, the current version of WP-SimpleViewer can handle this without any action required but galleries created with v1.5.4 will break (as you have discovered).

Rather than try to rebuild all your galleries, it might be easier to download your 'gallery.xml' files from your web server, change the paths manually in a plain text editor (a single global search and replace action should suffice) and re-upload them to your web server.

Also, v1.5.4 does not use any SQL code so the SQL error message you reported may not be generated by any of the WP-SimpleViewer files.

The error that shows up on the site in place of the galleries is:

I cannot read the gallery's xml file: /public_html/wordpress/wp-content/photos/brooklyn-navy-yard/gallery.xml
Please check that the gallery's files have been created on the admin pages!

WP-SimpleViewer v1.5.4 uses the PHP function file_get_contents to read the 'gallery.xml' file into a string. It looks like this is the function which is failing on your web server and causing the error message you reported to be displayed.
Please check with your web host to make sure that this PHP function is not disabled in your PHP configuration settings.

Hopefully this will point you in the right direction towards a solution.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Re: Host Changed Path — Galleries Disappeared

Thank you, Steven, I appreciate your help and will give your suggestions a try.